Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think all clubs probably need a sports psychologist or similar on their books, when you're looking for marginal gains that's one area that's yet to be tapped into. However, the way KR has gone about suggesting it was in the most bull-in-a-china-shop interview I've seen.

I think all clubs probably need a sports psychologist or similar on their books, when you're looking for marginal gains that's one area that's yet to be tapped into. However, the way KR has gone about suggesting it was in the most bull-in-a-china-shop interview I've seen.

Agreed that sports psychology should be part of a clubs make up.

But what if some of the players are struggling because KR has been quite openly vocal about individuals in the press. I know some will say they should just 'deal with it', but I think his actions may be contributing to a lack of confidence with certain individuals. Hope he is open to take on some advice as well.

We have the compensation payments to lose if we get rid of him, and Derry too. I would guess that this would amount to several hundred thousand that is also needed for players in January. If we could say that getting rid would see an immediate upturn in results then it would be worth paying them off. But I don't see Faz and/or Chrissy making any difference.

Upon firing, the dismissed staff don't receive the remaining amount of their contract fully paid up. More likely to continue receiving their monthly salary until they wish to enter into a new contractual agreement.

In other words, if OUFC fired them today and they started new coaching roles on 1st January, OUFC would only pay out 3 months salary as "comp".

That said, I'm surprised if a football club would want to touch KR with a barge pole so it could be a while before he gets a new gig :(

I don’t have a problem with sports psychologist but is it possibly being done at the wrong time? It could emphasise that there’s real problems in the squad for one thing and can also give everyone another excuse to hide behind. If these things are being done out of desperation it can lead to bigger issues.

It’ll also add more salaries to the ever increasing coaching budget. If Robinson is in charge of this it could end up with a ‘kid in a sweet shop’ mentality with him surrounded by about 10 other people at the training ground and in the dugout on match days.

Upon firing, the dismissed staff don't receive the remaining amount of their contract fully paid up. More likely to continue receiving their monthly salary until they wish to enter into a new contractual agreement.

In other words, if OUFC fired them today and they started new coaching roles on 1st January, OUFC would only pay out 3 months salary as "comp".

That said, I'm surprised if a football club would want to touch KR with a barge pole so it could be a while before he gets a new gig :(
Could always try his hand as a pundit ...given his skills giving opinions on air?:unsure::oops::eek:

Robinson’s record since the season he got MK Dons promoted must be pretty poor, can only see him getting another job after us if he is willing to drop down to league 2, he has used up the credit from that promotion over the last 3 years.

Could always try his hand as a pundit ...given his skills giving opinions on air?:unsure::oops::eek:
Yes I thought this Sarge. He does talk a good game after all!
I don't think he's high profile enough though.
For me his time is up. But I have a feeling we'll be stuck with him for a while.:cautious:

Robinson’s record since the season he got MK Dons promoted must be pretty poor, can only see him getting another job after us if he is willing to drop down to league 2, he has used up the credit from that promotion over the last 3 years.

I know Charlton fans aren’t fond of him but, weren’t they in the playoffs when he left? I know the squad that he assembled there certainly finished in the playoffs last season.

Feeling pretty conflicted.

Have chosen not to listen to KR on air anymore as a lot is said and then picked to pieces.

The reality is this: in regards to quality of chances created we were better than Accrington/Burton?Sunderland/Wycmobe/Walsall/Wimbledon...the issue - we continue to concede from low quality efforts.

The defence is the issue. Plenty said about the strikers and its baffling that we have entered the season relying on Obika and Smith, but this is what we have until January.

KR has show himself to be pretty inflexible. I know he has made some big calls (bringing in Baptiste, dropping Mcmahon) however sometimes we have to take in to account the opposition, their style of play, change our tactics to accommodate our best team. As is, the opposition already can second guess the probable line up and how we will move it around the back.

Now sees us enter a run of games Luton (should be higher up the table), Southend (should be higher) and Plymouth (one of the worst teams in the league).

A big 3 games that need no excuses and the players performing as they did at the end of last season. Sod style, results are required. Even a crappy 1-0. I cant take another week of KR and the players saying how sorry they are for the fans. The fans have been more than patient, have given real backing. Time to show that on the pitch

MAPP used sports psychologists in his time at the club and this was a small contributing thing for the promotion season. I am surprised that the players seemingly have not that facility open to them./

I know Charlton fans aren’t fond of him but, weren’t they in the playoffs when he left? I know the squad that he assembled there certainly finished in the playoffs last season.
9th when he left 5 points below sixth.

I am not sure where people get this from? A few Charlton supporters moaning?
His record at Charlton was W 27 D 21 and L 26.
I believe that he took them over near the bottom and got them up to 9th.
So 'pretty poor'is pretty harsh.

I am not sure where people get this from? A few Charlton supporters moaning?
His record at Charlton was W 27 D 21 and L 26.
I believe that he took them over near the bottom and got them up to 9th.
So 'pretty poor'is pretty harsh.
Putting partisan and sheer belief on one side....some Charlton fans have larger delusions of grandeur (as in their 'rightful place in the English football pyramid is challenging for playoffs in championship/ occasionally yoyo ing between prem ' n championship) than some OUFC fans have of our club .....and, I'd include myself in that number (at times) .... my opinion is OUFC SHOULD be a mid table club in the championship. That said I'm a realist in so much as THIS season, lower mid table in l1 is really looking like a tough ask, so far

Putting partisan and sheer belief on one side....some Charlton fans have larger delusions of grandeur (as in their 'rightful place in the English football pyramid is challenging for playoffs in championship/ occasionally yoyo ing between prem ' n championship) than some OUFC fans have of our club .....and, I'd include myself in that number (at times) .... my opinion is OUFC SHOULD be a mid table club in the championship. That said I'm a realist in so much as THIS season, lower mid table in l1 is really looking like a tough ask, so far

This is where I feel fan expectation differs depending on what era you are from. With all due respect to you Sarge I'm guessing you are a bit older than me (i'm 31) and so have had the pleasure of watching us rub shoulders with the big boys. I started going to games mid 90's when we went up to the what was then division 1. We competed for a season but we were always fairly small compared to most teams in the division. Since then I have watched us struggle after struggle and have in fact only seen 3 promotions (the first 1 was only my 2nd game so didn't really appreciate it). Compare that to 3 relegations, a failed conference play off bid and all those season in non league. I view our league status lower than you in as much as I see us as a mid table league 1 team who will flirt with the play offs every now and then and maybe get back up to the championship for a season or 2 only to eventually come back down.

Just to put a little perspective on changing managers, look at those who have already made changes this year. Michael Collins gets the boot from Bradford, yet they are still rubbish! Harry Kewell comes in at Notts County and his record is 0 wins, 4 draws and 7 defeats. Cheltenham have barely picked up a point a game since getting rid of Gary Johnson and it is only Stuart McCall who has achieved much at Scunthorpe (but also got the boot from Bradford earlier this year after 6 straight defeats).

The idea that a new manager will turn things around instantly are optimistic at best, and generally teams that go down do so despite management changes.

No one is happy with things right now, but we all need to come together to get something from this next batch of games. The atmosphere was incredible last Tuesday and we need to create the same support against Luton and the rest. If we get beat then do your shouting at the end of the game, if we win, stay and cheer them off. No one can afford to throw the towel in right now, and we might just get a result or 2 that gets us going.

He got Ian Wright in to do some work with the strikers when he was at MK I believe. Maybe Wrighty will do the same for us.

This is where I feel fan expectation differs depending on what era you are from. With all due respect to you Sarge I'm guessing you are a bit older than me (i'm 31) and so have had the pleasure of watching us rub shoulders with the big boys. I started going to games mid 90's when we went up to the what was then division 1. We competed for a season but we were always fairly small compared to most teams in the division. Since then I have watched us struggle after struggle and have in fact only seen 3 promotions (the first 1 was only my 2nd game so didn't really appreciate it). Compare that to 3 relegations, a failed conference play off bid and all those season in non league. I view our league status lower than you in as much as I see us as a mid table league 1 team who will flirt with the play offs every now and then and maybe get back up to the championship for a season or 2 only to eventually come back down.

Have you got your dates wrong as we were not in the old division 1 in the 90s we won the Milk Cup in 86

Back
Top Bottom