Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I highly doubt we need all that. Garbutt/Ruffels at LB and McMahon/Norman/Long at RB should be ample so long as they play to their full potential. CB isnt an embarrassment of riches but we have sufficient cover there (and to replace Nelson? Eh?) Midfielders and wingers we have in abundance. Strikers I agree with obviously but even Obika could thrive given a system he can play to (not the one we have now).

Any manager coming in can of course state his case for strengthening the squad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to make do with what he has. To be honest a new manager would come in, see the players he has on paper and not be too turned off.

The main area for improvement is 90% the manager for me...

I hope your right it would be easier to change the manager and it may well work. We had 15 corners v afc wimbledon and lots v walsall that has to be coached better and result in goals eapecially when we cant score from open play.

But I cant see how you can make Garbutt deliver it past the 1st man( I have zero patience with him btw nowhere near good enough imop.) And when he does deliver a good ball you cant make them have the desire to get their head on it.

Nelson doesnt appear to wanna be here obika is trying bless him just not up to it I just think its a big lack of ability thing with too many of them

Stay.
Reasons? For a kick off, last season Kr proved he was a highly capable manager. He organised a dispirited, limited rabble which was plummeting towards league 2. He remains in credit for that.
And as I’ve said previously, injuries. Let’s just take one as an example. Eastwood is our best player by a distance. If he doesn’t break his finger I doubt we’re in the relegation places.
There is no doubt that Kr is underachieving. But by how much? We’re probably just outside the top ten on budget so, realistically, we should be mid-table. So, what, probably eight points off where we should be. Does Eastwood bridge that gap on his own? No. Carruthers and Eastwood? Maybe not. But you take my point.
Sure, he’s made mistakes. Recruitment is one thing he’s being bashed for. But that cannot wholly be down to him. He has consistently spoken of the need for better lines of communication between him and Tiger. And I just dont buy for one second he was wasting time on targets which were out of our pay scale.
Most significant is the state of the club de left behind. It was pretty threadbare and the structure is having to be rebuilt.
As ever, it’s about expectation. Those who thought we’d be play off contenders, are raging. But given all of the above, not to mention the charges to Kassam and our operating losses, that seems unrealistic in the extreme.
In short Kr has a very tricky job. I’m not sure many would make a better fist of it.
Ps: the players are pulling for him, too
I don't agree that KR should stay but this is a reasoned argument.
Those who suggest that anybody who wants KR to stay want OUFC to lose every game are a bit out of order in.my view. We are all allowed our opinions..m

The only way I can see to fix this team is with money. We need 1 Lb 1 Rb 1 Cb to replace Nelson 2 strikers 1 Defensive midfielder and a winger. Obika needs his contract terminated and paying off. All this was needed in the summer and it will cost money sacking Kr will cost money. The only way we get out of this is if Tiger has money because most of these players are too s**t to do anything with.
We need a winger?? We’ve got about six. Or are you aiming for the premier league?

Perhaps putting KR -who after replacing the Catalan stabalised things at the end of last season to be fair.. then bought in SD along with (wow) players of his (And SD) choosing...and with SD alongside him, over a similar amount of games as he managed to turn things round in last season has overseen one of the worst starts to a season in a very long time- on gardening leave along with SD as well as paying off DF contract, who is apparently retiring/leaving at the end of this season(?), should we lose tuesday evening (and Saturday), could be an option? It would give tiger ,or whoever will be calling the shots come october (which starts tomorrow), an option and a degree of control over cash flow, while this situation is properly addressed.as in PROPERLY ....for me the head coach along with his hand picked assistant , (& their lack of flexibility in tactics as well as the number of rumoured whispers about SD disruptiveness behind the scenes, unconfirmed officially,so far) are the root cause of the horrible predicament OUFC are currently in.

Last edited:
Ha ha very good no mid Lg1 will do for now Id just like one who can beat a full back now an again and cross it. Nappa will do
Napa has been dropped by Macclesfield who are bottom of League 2...

Don't you think that Whyte can beat a defender?

Perhaps putting KR -who after replacing the Catalan stabalised things at the end of last season to be fair.. then bought in SD along with (wow) players of his (And SD) choosing...and with SD alongside him, over a similar amount of games as he managed to turn things round in last season has overseen one of the worst starts to a season in a very long time- on gardening leave along with SD as well as paying off DF contract, who is apparently retiring/leaving at the end of this season(?), should we lose tuesday evening (and Saturday), could be an option? It would give tiger ,or whoever will be calling the shots come october (which starts tomorrow), an option and a degree of control over cash flow, while this situation is properly addressed.as in PROPERLY ....for me the head coach along with his hand picked assistant , (& their lack of flexibility in tactics as well as the number of rumoured whispers about SD disruptiveness behind the scenes, unconfirmed officially,so far) are the root cause of the horrible predicament OUFC are currently in.
Agree re DF Sarge.

Re Derry, is this all rumours and conjecture, or is there really a lot coming out that he is disliked, or more importantly not rated and causing problems?

I do read about his and just wonder how true this is?

I don’t care what anyone says. KR needs to be fired! SD can have his contract terminated with immediate effect too. They are both useless!

I agree with @daveoufc . Maybe not that we need a winger. But that our current 'wide attackers' are not 'wingers'.

Even when Whyte is beating his man, he's looking to cut inside. Which is fine if the full backs overlap to provide width. While Norman did that to great effect, it's not a part of Long's game. And Garbutt doesn't have the fitness to do it on the left.

So what we end up with is Browne and Whyte crowded in the middle, with the opposing full backs also coming inside as there's no threat out wide. If they were less selfish and got to the byline, we'd have more attacking players in the box. When they cut inside, our midfielders have to offer them options centrally. It's why we're taking pot shots from 25 yards against a wall of defence. It's why Obika can't get in behind the defence for a sight of goal.

Last edited:
Agree re DF Sarge.

Re Derry, is this all rumours and conjecture, or is there really a lot coming out that he is disliked, or more importantly not rated and causing problems?

I do read about his and just wonder how true this is?
Lots of unrest apparently in the dressing room etc a number of players not happy with the treatment by head & assistant coach(es) that they (certain players) have been on the receiving end of......there's no solid evidence of course, though rumours have abounded more or less since SD was appointed as KRs assistant ......the way some players have been in and out of the matchday playing squads does tend to point that all is not as settled as it should be in the dressing room/training ground.....Norman being sent to train with u23s , as well as carruthers apparently counting the days till january being the latest of the many alleged rumours of unsettled players

Which is why they both need to be fired. It’s needs someone that can restore dressing room harmony, and galvanise a club that are in deep trouble currently.

Your right sarge! There have been falling outs with squad players and management staff.

Yes Whyte can he looks promising thats why I said 1 winger. I would still recall Nappa in Jan I dont think alot of our starting 11 let alone our options off the bench.

Stay.
Reasons? For a kick off, last season Kr proved he was a highly capable manager. He organised a dispirited, limited rabble which was plummeting towards league 2. He remains in credit for that.
And as I’ve said previously, injuries. Let’s just take one as an example. Eastwood is our best player by a distance. If he doesn’t break his finger I doubt we’re in the relegation places.
There is no doubt that Kr is underachieving. But by how much? We’re probably just outside the top ten on budget so, realistically, we should be mid-table. So, what, probably eight points off where we should be. Does Eastwood bridge that gap on his own? No. Carruthers and Eastwood? Maybe not. But you take my point.
Sure, he’s made mistakes. Recruitment is one thing he’s being bashed for. But that cannot wholly be down to him. He has consistently spoken of the need for better lines of communication between him and Tiger. And I just dont buy for one second he was wasting time on targets which were out of our pay scale.
Most significant is the state of the club de left behind. It was pretty threadbare and the structure is having to be rebuilt.
As ever, it’s about expectation. Those who thought we’d be play off contenders, are raging. But given all of the above, not to mention the charges to Kassam and our operating losses, that seems unrealistic in the extreme.
In short Kr has a very tricky job. I’m not sure many would make a better fist of it.
Ps: the players are pulling for him, too

This is well put. I have been strongly in the stay camp as I genuinely think what happened with MApp could happen with Robbo and I am willing to give him that opportunity.

It’s getting difficult to support him and in my view Saturday was the most damaging loss of the season. Wimbledon will go down that was a huge opportunity for three points. But I’m not really sure how much of the blame can be placed at Robbo’s door. He can’t really account for what by all accounts was a defensive howler by Mousinho for the second goal (without which, given the extent to which we got to grips with their athletic threat by the end of the first half and certainly the second, they probably would not have got all three points) and Holmes, one of the absolute standout players in this league two years ago, missing what looked an open goal in the second half (not seen the highlights but looked it from where I was standing). A lot is being made of the corners too, but Wimbledon as a team were f*****g MASSIVE - set pieces were never going to bear much fruit for us yesterday. Robinson is being mocked for saying we never get outplayed but he’s not actually wrong in that. So how much of that is really his fault?

I’m also reluctant to apportion him too much blame for recruitment. Surely no one thinks KR looked at the squad in the summer and thought we didn’t need a striker, and honestly I would rather we didn’t bring in anyone than bring in someone who our scouts thought couldn’t do a job and waste a wage just to get someone. And the players we DID recruit I thought looked astute on paper - proven veterans in the likes of McMahon and Carruthers to add some experience, a proven L1 standout in Holmes, highly rated youngsters like Garbutt, Hanson and Whyte. Is their not performing Robbos fault? It seems annoying that you can get this chicken and egg scenario where the players aren’t getting the results on the field, so they stop playing for the manager, so they continue to not get results, but that unfortunately seems to be where we are.

All that said, I said after the Walsall game that unless we got six points from our next three games the case for him to stay would be made very difficult indeed. I’m a man of my word and should we lose on Tuesday, I may reluctantly have to join the KR out camp.

I think Derry working with KR is upsetting the chemistry would have been better for KR to have CA as his number two if Derry went I think things would turn around...my ten pence worth.

I think Derry working with KR is upsetting the chemistry would have been better for KR to have CA as his number two if Derry went I think things would turn around...my ten pence worth.

Is Shaun Derry the reason for our poor form? just wondered where these rumours have come from, or are we just looking for a scapegoat

Is Shaun Derry the reason for our poor form? just wondered where these rumours have come from, or are we just looking for a scapegoat
I think he may have a more dominant personality than KR making it a struggle for KR to assert himself as the main man which could have an adverse effect on the players that then goes onto the pitch... it is of course speculation as ive got no clue what happens there on a day to day basis between them its a guess based on how I perceive them to be as people and from what I see each week at the games

Lost In Space was a series about a family Called Robinson, who didn't know where they were going and what they were doing. There were seven losers on their spaceship. Our manager doesn't appear to know what he's doing and we've lost seven times already. Watch this space!

Back
Top Bottom