Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is where I feel fan expectation differs depending on what era you are from. With all due respect to you Sarge I'm guessing you are a bit older than me (i'm 31) and so have had the pleasure of watching us rub shoulders with the big boys. I started going to games mid 90's when we went up to the what was then division 1. We competed for a season but we were always fairly small compared to most teams in the division. Since then I have watched us struggle after struggle and have in fact only seen 3 promotions (the first 1 was only my 2nd game so didn't really appreciate it). Compare that to 3 relegations, a failed conference play off bid and all those season in non league. I view our league status lower than you in as much as I see us as a mid table league 1 team who will flirt with the play offs every now and then and maybe get back up to the championship for a season or 2 only to eventually come back down.
Agree 're expectations can be shaped by what era you started following the U's....my first home game was during the first season as Oxford United (lost at home to bath city on an Easter BH mon) .....the 7 season climb from non league to old division 2 (championship) was a great time to be a us fan....as was the mid-late 80s.... I do think mid championship is viable and sustainable in the long term for the U's with the right owners management and finances in place of course.....though league 1 survival this campaign is an absolute must

He got Ian Wright in to do some work with the strikers when he was at MK I believe. Maybe Wrighty will do the same for us.
As it happens, Ian Wright took part in a gentleman's ride out in London yesterday (motor bikes n scooters) ....a mate of mine had a chat (&obligatory selfie taken) with him.. ...not that it would have any bearing on him doing a bit of coaching here at oufc of course.......beano is guest of honour soon at a home game ,but for his 3 goals v chester being removed from the fa records beano would ve become our all time top scorer (yes some of his goals were non league...as were some of the late graham atkinsons record amount!) ...beano knows where the goal is, maybe a bit of striker coaching from him might help?

Edit- not seen the Ian Wright or Twitter pic until after posting the above:oops:

Heard Northampton (currently 4th from bottom l1) sacked their manager earlier today.....apologies if it's already been covered on yf?

As it happens, Ian Wright took part in a gentleman's ride out in London yesterday (motor bikes n scooters) ....a mate of mine had a chat (&obligatory selfie taken) with him.. ...not that it would have any bearing on him doing a bit of coaching here at oufc of course.......beano is guest of honour soon at a home game ,but for his 3 goals v chester being removed from the fa records beano would ve become our all time top scorer (yes some of his goals were non league...as were some of the late graham atkinsons record amount!) ...beano knows where the goal is, maybe a bit of striker coaching from him might help?

Edit- not seen the Ian Wright or Twitter pic until after posting the above:oops:
Can we sign Beano and put him up front tomorrow?

The idea that a new manager will turn things around instantly are optimistic at best, and generally teams that go down do so despite management changes.

No one is happy with things right now, but we all need to come together to get something from this next batch of games. The atmosphere was incredible last Tuesday and we need to create the same support against Luton and the rest. If we get beat then do your shouting at the end of the game, if we win, stay and cheer them off. No one can afford to throw the towel in right now, and we might just get a result or 2 that gets us going.
I don't think anyone could completely turn around the mess we are in, at least not until they can add to the team in Jan.

Anyone who came in would face a squad in a mess with no quality up front, and shattered confidence. At best they could inspire some confidence, hopefully shore up the defense, and adopt a system that plays to the strengths of our current batch of players. This may make us harder to beat, but is unlikely to fix all of our attacking issues.

This season now is all about survival. If we have to change we need to do so in plenty of time before the Jan window ( I would say end of October to change and no later than start of November to appoint a new manager). If we stick do we trust KR to buy the right players to get us out of this mess he has created. If not, well the thing is we can hardly get much worse than now so that's not the issue. It's just has Tiger got the money (because its going to cost us big for new manager plus new players in Jan) or the balls to make the decision, and will he get it right this time.

Heard Northampton (currently 4th from bottom l1) sacked their manager earlier today.....apologies if it's already been covered on yf?

To be fair Sarge, being 4th bottom in league 2 is a lot worse than our current league placing.

on the Topic of Ian Wright, yes great footballer, experienced at the highest level and played under some great managers. Its maybe his own choice but i dont see any other clubs employing him as a coach, what experience does he have and what track record does he have of improving strikers goals to shots ratio? Just wheeling out some ex pro that scored a lot of goals seems a little short sighted to me. Get a striker coach in that has a proven coaching record i say

on the Topic of Ian Wright, yes great footballer, experienced at the highest level and played under some great managers. Its maybe his own choice but i dont see any other clubs employing him as a coach, what experience does he have and what track record does he have of improving strikers goals to shots ratio? Just wheeling out some ex pro that scored a lot of goals seems a little short sighted to me. Get a striker coach in that has a proven coaching record i say

The club hasn't given Wright a job! He probably came down on the wishes of Robinson to watch training and give some pointers to our strikers. I don't see how that is a bad thing? If anything it is a good move by Robinson to be able to call on someone like Wright who can come in and give advice to players for free.

Have a day off. How can anyone construe one of our countries best ever finishers giving up his free time to pop down and watch training/give a few pointers to our struggling forwards.

And if the psychologist does'nt work, it will be a sooth sayer, then someone to lift the gypsey curse.
Just go whilst you have some semblance of credibility. No just go.

Credit when due. It's a good move by KR to bring in Ian Wright for a day - or two.

He's trying things and open to new ideas in training.

Goodness make a negative out of that....

• React
Reactions: m
Cant fault bringing in Wright to coach our strikers.

Maybe Mark Wright could pop in to pep talk our defenders?

Back
Top Bottom