Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Out of the 59 people who voted for him to stay, I wonder how many are genuine Oxford fans and how many are trolls from other clubs enjoying our current predicament

You'd be surprised at the amount of our own fans who don't mind seeing us constantly lose.

Out of the 59 people who voted for him to stay, I wonder how many are genuine Oxford fans and how many are trolls from other clubs enjoying our current predicament
I would imagine pretty much all are Oxford fans, just willing to show a lot of patience and give the man time to sort things out (a la Appleton). Jsut because someone doesnt agree with you, doesnt make them a troll!!
PS - for clarity, I'm not one of the 59

I would imagine pretty much all are Oxford fans, just willing to show a lot of patience and give the man time to sort things out (a la Appleton). Jsut because someone doesnt agree with you, doesnt make them a troll!!
Um.. Hang on, I’ll just look back at my post for where I wrote it does...??

Apologies for my bluntness here - but 5 points from 10 games with a terrible GD is not good enough for us by any stretch.

Get the complete clown out.

Without repeating the same points, everyone else has made decent arguments re statements, signings, attitude of KR etc etc

It's an embarrassment for Oxford United.

Just to add - I'm a firm believer in management stability and giving them a chance to implement their vision.

At no stage was I calling for MAPP's head during his difficult start, but there was clearly reasoning and ambition there at the time.

• React
Reactions: Ian

I'm one of the Stay voters, and sticking to it for now.

I can honestly say there wasn’t a time when I called for Appleton to go, for the same reasons mentioned above. I take no pleasure in wanting change now, all I want is for the club I support to be as successful as it possibly can. Unfortunately im still waiting for the people who are still in support of Robinson to come out with a good argument in his favour. Im all for the saying ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ but I’m really struggling with ‘If it’s broke don’t fix it as the alternative could possibly be as bad or worse’

The only way I can see to fix this team is with money. We need 1 Lb 1 Rb 1 Cb to replace Nelson 2 strikers 1 Defensive midfielder and a winger. Obika needs his contract terminated and paying off. All this was needed in the summer and it will cost money sacking Kr will cost money. The only way we get out of this is if Tiger has money because most of these players are too s**t to do anything with.

Just to add - I'm a firm believer in management stability and giving them a chance to implement their vision.

At no stage was I calling for MAPP's head during his difficult start, but there was clearly reasoning and ambition there at the time.
You may have thought there was 'clearly reasoning and ambition there at the time' but from memory a majority on here wanted him out, called him clueless and said if we didn't get rid of him.we could find ourselves in the Conference again...

I can honestly say there wasn’t a time when I called for Appleton to go, for the same reasons mentioned above. I take no pleasure in wanting change now, all I want is for the club I support to be as successful as it possibly can. Unfortunately im still waiting for the people who are still in support of Robinson to come out with a good argument in his favour. Im all for the saying ‘If it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ but I’m really struggling with ‘If it’s broke don’t fix it as the alternative could possibly be as bad or worse’
You are in the minority if you didn't want MAPP out.

We need 1 Lb 1 Rb 1 Cb to replace Nelson 2 strikers 1 Defensive midfielder and a winger. Obika needs his contract terminated and paying off.

I highly doubt we need all that. Garbutt/Ruffels at LB and McMahon/Norman/Long at RB should be ample so long as they play to their full potential. CB isnt an embarrassment of riches but we have sufficient cover there (and to replace Nelson? Eh?) Midfielders and wingers we have in abundance. Strikers I agree with obviously but even Obika could thrive given a system he can play to (not the one we have now).

Any manager coming in can of course state his case for strengthening the squad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to make do with what he has. To be honest a new manager would come in, see the players he has on paper and not be too turned off.

The main area for improvement is 90% the manager for me...

I highly doubt we need all that. Garbutt/Ruffels at LB and McMahon/Norman/Long at RB should be ample so long as they play to their full potential. CB isnt an embarrassment of riches but we have sufficient cover there (and to replace Nelson? Eh?) Midfielders and wingers we have in abundance. Strikers I agree with obviously but even Obika could thrive given a system he can play to (not the one we have now).

Any manager coming in can of course state his case for strengthening the squad, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was told to make do with what he has. To be honest a new manager would come in, see the players he has on paper and not be too turned off.

The main area for improvement is 90% the manager for me...
Agree with this. Different manager using the existing squad and additions in Jan. It's the tactics and use of the existing squad that are the issues.

I too think there is generally enough there for a decent manager to make something of.

Except up front - I don't agree that Obika could thrive, he has been with us for long enough for us to know exactly what he does and doesn't do. Smith is not fulfilling any potential someone has obviously seen, and Mackie is unfortunately not a goal scoring striker (16 goals in 5 years / 131 games) and seems to have lost any pace he once had. Could Browne (with his dodgy knees) be made into a striker? He's got some pace, but obviously is not a 'lone striker / target man' and unless Robinson is capable/willing to play another system... Any new manager would have to apply some creative thinking, and change the formation so that whoever plays up front has some proper support.

I understand the calls for the manager to go but I also think he deserves a chance to turn it around when Eastwood and Carruthers are back fit.

Stay.
Reasons? For a kick off, last season Kr proved he was a highly capable manager. He organised a dispirited, limited rabble which was plummeting towards league 2. He remains in credit for that.
And as I’ve said previously, injuries. Let’s just take one as an example. Eastwood is our best player by a distance. If he doesn’t break his finger I doubt we’re in the relegation places.
There is no doubt that Kr is underachieving. But by how much? We’re probably just outside the top ten on budget so, realistically, we should be mid-table. So, what, probably eight points off where we should be. Does Eastwood bridge that gap on his own? No. Carruthers and Eastwood? Maybe not. But you take my point.
Sure, he’s made mistakes. Recruitment is one thing he’s being bashed for. But that cannot wholly be down to him. He has consistently spoken of the need for better lines of communication between him and Tiger. And I just dont buy for one second he was wasting time on targets which were out of our pay scale.
Most significant is the state of the club de left behind. It was pretty threadbare and the structure is having to be rebuilt.
As ever, it’s about expectation. Those who thought we’d be play off contenders, are raging. But given all of the above, not to mention the charges to Kassam and our operating losses, that seems unrealistic in the extreme.
In short Kr has a very tricky job. I’m not sure many would make a better fist of it.
Ps: the players are pulling for him, too

I understand the calls for the manager to go but I also think he deserves a chance to turn it around when Eastwood and Carruthers are back fit.

This I agree with.

However I feel that he's got until Plymouth. Lose that and he will go.

Agree with this. Different manager using the existing squad and additions in Jan. It's the tactics and use of the existing squad that are the issues.
There seems to be some rose-tinted stuff going on about the quality of our squad. As well as his tactical inflexibility it's KR's recruitment that is damning him.
How many of our first team regulars would be wanted by one of the competitive League One clubs? Eastwood, Nelson, Henry, Browne, Baptiste, Whyte, Carruthers (quite possibly a regular crock) and Holmes (on known ability but not attitude). There's then a group who can just about cut it when they're at the top of their game. And then there are the outright liabilities: Mackie, Obika, Smith, McMahon, Garbutt, with Hanson rapidly bidding to join this latter group.

And then there are the outright liabilities: Mackie, Obika, Smith, McMahon, Garbutt, with Hanson rapidly bidding to join this latter group.

Agree, partly agree, disagree, partly agree, disagree and disagree (not seen enough). Liability far too big a word...

Back
Top Bottom