Matches Relegation Run ins

Accrington will be really up against if they if they lose away to Bolton tonight, who need a win to cement a play off place, only be able to get 44 points and will have the worst goal difference. They have lost the last 4 games so that looks likely to continue, it seems a good result for us but that might take a lot of fight from them for when they play Cambridge Saturday where we could do with them getting a point.

Err, respectfully disagree on that. Fleming is demonstrably awful defensively as a wing back (I leave out his two harakiri clearances in the box when he came on as sub earlier this month) and Anderson is only marginally better. But he/they are great going forward and that is what we need. Can't score if you don't create chances, can't win if you don't score.
The trouble is, we're now accustom to seeing centre halves at full back! They don't often (and shouldn't) put a foot wrong defensively. But is it worth it for how tragic we are as an attacking side? It's going to cost us our L1 status if he plays that way to the end. They will leave you slightly open, that's to be expected. But Fleming won more headers when he played on the wing than Joseph has won all season - it's not that bad. They are most certainly not out-and-out full backs. They're wing backs, but very decent and dangerous ones. We played to their strengths once - Ipswich at home. Our last win. But they're a risk and since then we'd rather take the easy way out and just leave them out.

Djavan is leaving us at the end of the season, that's obvious, and it's a massive shame because he & McGuane are probably the only players I have enjoyed watching at any point in the season. We've wasted him IMHO.

Djavan is leaving us at the end of the season, that's obvious, and it's a massive shame because he & McGuane are probably the only players I have enjoyed watching at any point in the season. We've wasted him IMHO.
Absolutely agree, one of the only players that actually do something above L1 level.
I hope we keep him, we have a one year option IIRC

Absolutely agree, one of the only players that actually do something above L1 level.
I hope we keep him, we have a one year option IIRC
In L2 he's off - we won't keep him around on that wage. Stay up and maybe the plan will be different next year and see him more involved but we're a significantly weaker team without him and results support that.

Accrington will be really up against if they if they lose away to Bolton tonight, who need a win to cement a play off place, only be able to get 44 points and will have the worst goal difference. They have lost the last 4 games so that looks likely to continue, it seems a good result for us but that might take a lot of fight from them for when they play Cambridge Saturday where we could do with them getting a point.

I think we could really do with Accrington beating Cambridge, honestly......as long as they don't beat Bolton tonight as well.

If they lose to Bolton tonight, then they have to win their last two to have any hope (and pray that MKD don't pick up another point, or that us and Morecambe don't win again). But they can't be relegated tonight, and will still have a prayer on Saturday one way or the other, so should be bang at it whatever the result tonight.

In L2 he's off - we won't keep him around on that wage. Stay up and maybe the plan will be different next year and see him more involved but we're a significantly weaker team without him and results support that.

I think Djavan is gone regardless.

Shame, because he's a decent player - but we're committed to so many players and so many bloated, unmoveable contracts for next season already that Manning needs some space in the wage budget to bring in his own recruits. And he's obviously got a lot of holes to fill to make this a coherent squad. Anderson is the obvious casualty of that because we're not committed to him beyond this season.

It’s crazy if we stay up and get rid of Anderson, who is quite clearly one of our best players and one of the best right wingbacks in league one. Absolutely crazy. I can guarantee you we won’t have a better right wing back next season than him.

It’s a real shame we didn’t have him last season when we played with Luke McNally in a back 3 as we would have been a significantly more dangerous team.

It’s crazy if we stay up and get rid of Anderson, who is quite clearly one of our best players and one of the best right wingbacks in league one. Absolutely crazy. I can guarantee you we won’t have a better right wing back next season than him.

It’s a real shame we didn’t have him last season when we played with Luke McNally in a back 3 as we would have been a significantly more dangerous team.
I like him but I guess it depends whether we’ll be using wingbacks next season?

I think there will be around 8 gaps in the senior squad, even if everyone on a contract sticks around.
That is plenty of room to bring in players to form a squad around a chosen formation/style, as long as it is approached that way rather than the kid in a sweet shop/second hand fixer-up car auction that the previous incumbant preferred

I think Djavan is gone regardless.

Shame, because he's a decent player - but we're committed to so many players and so many bloated, unmoveable contracts for next season already that Manning needs some space in the wage budget to bring in his own recruits. And he's obviously got a lot of holes to fill to make this a coherent squad. Anderson is the obvious casualty of that because we're not committed to him beyond this season.
In the case of Anderson I think he’s one of few who’s looked as though the outlay was proportionate to what he can bring to the side. Were it not for poor management and the odd injury, I think we’d be fighting to keep him off clubs higher in the pyramid. I haven’t seen a player at this level quite like him. He’s a risk because if he was successful with every run he went on, he wouldn’t be at Oxford United. But just because his strengths are niche, doesn’t mean he’s a poor player. But our club wouldn’t know a good thing if it slapped them around the chops at the moment.

Nonetheless you’re probably right. My perception of Manning is that he’s risk averse and likes ‘sure things’. That, Anderson is not. There were certain managers linked with this job that would’ve loved him, appreciated him and made him central to the team. One of those things but I’ll be sad when he goes as he is a rare positive energy.

Nonetheless you’re probably right. My perception of Manning is that he’s risk averse and likes ‘sure things’. That, Anderson is not. There were certain managers linked with this job that would’ve loved him, appreciated him and made him central to the team. One of those things but I’ll be sad when he goes as he is a rare positive energy.

Yeah, I'm not saying that he should go - just that I would be shocked if he doesn't.

I think you're probably right about Manning being on the risk averse side of things. But - through no fault of his own - he's likely to have Murphy, Browne, Baldock, Bodin and Wildschut in his squad for next season, five of the highest risk, luxury players in the entire lower leagues.

I wouldn't really blame him if he wanted to fill the few spots in the squad that are open for 2023/24 with players that are less mercurial and more in the Joe Skarz mould.
(though of course order of business #1 is going to be finding a striker - ideally multiple strikers - that actually know(s) where the back of the net is)

Which, if I’m correct in my thinking, is worth an extra point, yes..?
Youu miss the point! If we finish above another team by having a superior goal difference its that what matters. The whole debate about an extra point is rendered pointless!

Phew!

I hope MK go down, I think they'll struggle without the massive away attendances they allow.

I'm not one to call for the locking of threads but it would be quite cool to lock this one.

I mean, who gives a toss now?

It’s quite interesting still. I reckon Cambridge might stay up which I’d be fairly happy with.

Certainly over MK. I know it is close but with the home crowd lost in its size it is even more soulless than the Kasstad. Especially how they split the away crowd to try to stop the away fans making an atmosphere.

If Cambridge can beat Burton Wednesday night then they stay up, a terrible Forest Green side who have given up are not going there and winning.

Even if we lose MK Dons we are already gaining Leyton Orient which is a much better away day and (with Cardiff Huddersfield kicking off in minutes) maybe Reading. Good chance of Northampton and Stevenage so there will be more local games next season anyway.

Other than being fairly local it’s a mundane game anyway, they don’t travel well (not even sold out Burton away on the last day yet!) and it’s not the most exciting town to visit.

Back
Top Bottom