Matches Worst run since?

tonyw

So a question for my fellow stattos.......

We've now gone eleven games without a win and taken 2 points from a possible 33.

I was trying to work out the last time we went on a run this bad.....and I'm struggling to find anything in the last 30 years......

The legendarily awful squad that DNESMO Mk.II put together and Kemp "managed" never went more than nine games without a win. Nor did any Rix, Wright or Patto side. Even the Talbot side that dropped out of the Football League maxed out at ten without a win (and drew five of those).

I'm having to go all the way back to 1987/88, when our last win of the season was on January 20th in the League Cup against Man U (and our last league win was extraordinarily on November 7th). But, y'know, we were plucky ol' Oxford playing in the top flight. Hardly the same situation.

Have I missed one, or has KR built a side that's pulled out a more incompetent stretch than any of the worst managers in our history?

In terms of league games without a win, our current record matches that of the mid season 06/07 run where we beat Tamworth on 25th November, didn’t win any of the next 11 matches, and finally beat Gravesend on 17th February.

That run included 7 draws though, so the points return was nowhere near as bad.

It’s the worst run I can remember, with Peterborough away and then Sheffield Wednesday at home have a feeling it isn’t finished yet.
When you look at the centre forward options we have, a kid, a crock and a loanee who has gone missing plus that old Robinson cliche of players who can do a job but it’s not there position then it’s not a surprise, look at the mess he has made of the full backs over 10 transfer windows by just not bothering with them and then wonder how he forgot to replace Gorrin with anyone other than Gorrin despite the fact he is fucked then it’s not a shock.

It’s a squad put together over a phone from a pool in Spain in the summer and then somehow made worse in January by Robinson having another nightmare transfer window, he had 3 terrible windows in a row.

It probably over performed up until this run started, it’s probably going to take us down and you still get people say it’s got plenty of talent in it.

It's a terrible squad. Baldock, Henry has been a great player sadly to old .Bodin ,Gorrin,Long just makes so many mistakes snd then he gives him a 3 year extension another present he's left us with. Seddon and where are the powerful midfield players after the Blackpool game he promised us .If Manning keeps us up I will be amazed .I feel gutted for the club but where were the staff to keep him in check .I think we are worst that the season we got hammered at Sunderland 7-0 sadly we could still have one of those results iam worried when we play Peterborough away I think we could be in for a right stuffing there. I hope iam wrong .

In terms of league games without a win, our current record matches that of the mid season 06/07 run where we beat Tamworth on 25th November, didn’t win any of the next 11 matches, and finally beat Gravesend on 17th February.

Thought club historian Martin Brodetsky confirmed before Morecambe it was the worst sequence since December 1975 to March 1976.

Thought club historian Martin Brodetsky confirmed before Morecambe it was the worst sequence since December 1975 to March 1976.
He may well have been basing that on points and in all competitions. That 06/07 conference one was just league games, and as I say, a fair few draws.

That was a terrible run, considering that during the first 20 games of that season we had W14, D5 and lost only one. Many of those 20 performances were unconvincing though!

Thanks PtWiU - I hadn't looked up 06/07 because I guess I had assumed that because we were a playoff team we could never have gone 11 without a win (and I must have put up a mental block to stop myself from remembering the horror). But as you say - we got a lot more points, so our current run is now worse.

Whilst I would never, ever want to go against Martin B on any stats-based question......perhaps he was excluding top flight seasons? Or maybe he was just saying that we'd had our worst ten-game stretch in almost fifty years?
Because we went 19 games without a win in all competitions (and 26 in the League) in 1987/88 - http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage/season/29/

I think you make the point Tony - Martin Brodestsky was maybe referring to 9 defeats in ten league matches.

A ten-game sequence.

Division 1 1987-88: we beat Coventry City 1-0 on 7 November 1987 in our 14th league game of the season and didn't win another league game that season.

6 wins, 2 draws and 6 defeats in the first 14 league games;
no wins, 11 draws and 15 defeats in the last 26 league games.

Finished bottom of the table that year with 6 wins, 13 draws and 21 defeats.

Division 2 2000-01 wasn't great either: 1 win, 2 draws and 14 defeats in our first 17 league games. Bottom that season as well.

(In response to post number 5)

Yes, that period is unusual in that we lost only one home game, Southampton on 27th Dec. That would have been my third ever match attended (Bristol Rovers and Carlisle being the first two) but fortunately I missed it because my family had to drive to Salisbury that day to visit my mother's cousin!

Another interesting point to make about that period is that it included four consecutive games which finished 1-1, something which may not have ever happened before or since.

I looked at the 1975-76 season - it may be as bad in terms of winless sequence of games, but just like in the last top flight season, and the first conference season, and even the Kemp season, we never got as few as 1 point from 10 games (or indeed 2 points from 11 games). I wonder if that's our worst PPG run ever over that number of games?

The division one run in 1988 was certainly poor, but it was at least top flight. The win against Coventry that I witnessed…a moment in history as our last ever win was I think Ray Houghtons last game for us and I think he scored from the penalty spot.
I think under Kemp that has to count as the poorest must gutless run. Conceded 100 goals too over the season.
If we can stay up I’d hope that we can start thinking about our successful runs like 1984/6

The division one run in 1988 was certainly poor, but it was at least top flight. The win against Coventry that I witnessed…a moment in history as our last ever win was I think Ray Houghtons last game for us and I think he scored from the penalty spot.
I think under Kemp that has to count as the poorest must gutless run. Conceded 100 goals too over the season.
If we can stay up I’d hope that we can start thinking about our successful runs like 1984/6
Dean Saunders from the spot , think Ray Houghton had been sold earlier in the season I'm sure .
Did have Cup wins after this date though just lots of draws in the League !

Well here we are 15 games on a winless run with 7 goals scored and drawing 5 out of the 15 games. This bad run surpasses 2006/07 and 2000/01 seasons. How bad is this?. Whether we stay up or go down, we need clarity from the board on what went wrong and how to turn this around for the future. Manning has got a hell of a task to turn this around for next season which I think we will be in league 2, will Manning be backed with serious money to get back into league 1?. How we capitulated this season is disgraceful and totally unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom