Tickets Reading Away Tickets

Yet further negative impact of the paintpot trophy by my reckoning...

This season (don't recall it previously being the case) they appear to have spread out the 'matchdays' across multiple midweeks. So whereas us and Reading (and everyone else) could have played all our paintpots on the same days, they are now staggered - further limiting the mutual available midweeks for postponed League games.

It's already happened with our trip to Lincoln. 3 of the other L1 fixtures postponed that day (September 9th) were played the following Tuesday (19th) because none of those 6 clubs had paintpots. We did, Lincoln did - so we fall behind. We could have even played Lincoln tonight had they not have a paintpot game.

Other than this time last week (when there were proper scheduled League fixtures), there's been paintpot trophy games every Tuesday since August 22nd.

Why oh why can't paintpot games all happen on the same midweek? Get it done for everyone. 3 midweeks and the group is done. Instead, by my reckoning, they're doing it over 12 (twelve) midweeks - up to and including the 21st November.

At this point it's like someone at Football League HQ is deliberately trying to cause maximum distruption for a f**king laugh.

It's the clubs who ultimately agree the trophy group stage game dates. They're given a deadline by which they have to be played and a suggested week.
Looking at it, for whatever reason, we scheduled our 2nd/3rd group fixtures, well before the suggested week. So we are actually ahead of most of the other EFL clubs in terms of group games played.

MK was played on 19th September, with the suggested week from the EFL being this weke.
Chelsea U21s is set to be played on 7th Nov, with the suggested week being w/c 13th November.

I don't understand why they can't enforce ALL games have to be played in the same week. (though i do recall something about it being difficult to fit in with the U21 club diaries - the irony!!!)

I think they could have the paint pot group stage pre season, better level of friendly, I would actually have some interest but the bulk of games would be out of the way.
Sounds good. Then if the Beers beat Detroit and Denver beats Atlanta in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Milwaukee goes to the Denslow Cup, unless Baltimore can upset Buffalo and Charlotte ties Toronto, then Oakland would play LA and Pittsburgh in a blind choice round robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, a two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.

Play all the group games as a pre season tournament in the couple of weeks before league games start. Fitting in 3 games shouldn't be a problem. It would also double up as pre season games for fitness conditioning etc.
Then half the teams would be knocked out potentially freeing up dates later on.
First knockout games then all played on the same Tuesday/Wednesday a month or so later, no league games arranged for that midweek.
Then repeat for the next round.
Maybe I'm over simplifying but anything close to this must be better than what we have now.
Of course somewhere in this academy teams would kibosh it. They should never have been allowed into it in the first place!!

I think they could have the paint pot group stage pre season, better level of friendly, I would actually have some interest but the bulk of games would be out of the way.

Isn’t the reason the group games are staggered because the premier league age group teams?
Sorry, didn't see your post. I've just written something very similar!!πŸ˜€

Is that a guess or are you itk on this one?

It’s a guess as the dates not been decided, but, I’m certain it will be this side of Christmas given that there are dates available.

November 21st almost certainly won’t be available as it’s in the international break. England and Northern Ireland play on the 20th, as do Wales U21s, and Wales play on the 21st along with England U21s and Ireland U21s. The Portsmouth game on Saturday the 18th will almost certainly be off as a result, and if that happens the entire midweek is off the table.

November 21st almost certainly won’t be available as it’s in the international break. England and Northern Ireland play on the 20th, as do Wales U21s, and Wales play on the 21st along with England U21s and Ireland U21s. The Portsmouth game on Saturday the 18th will almost certainly be off as a result, and if that happens the entire midweek is off the table.

I pointed out on the Pompey thread that it's looking very likely that we won't play them until mid-January at the earliest
(because once we've finally found a date for the Reading game, we then need to find one for the Pompey game as well)

Maybe we just just save that game until March, and play a home-and-away two legger for the title? :D

Reading are through to the second round of the Tinpot trophy after demolishing the Scum tonight......

......think that therefore formally rules out December 5th for our game to be rearranged? 19th looks like the earliest possible date now, unless they're willing to play chicken with the FA Cup Second Round & Replay dates......

Reading are through to the second round of the Tinpot trophy after demolishing the Scum tonight......

......think that therefore formally rules out December 5th for our game to be rearranged? 19th looks like the earliest possible date now, unless they're willing to play chicken with the FA Cup Second Round & Replay dates......

You wouldn’t think so, can’t see TVP going for the short notice when an alternative is available, but then why the wait? If we don’t hear it’s the 19th December fairly soon then that is the only logical conclusion.

The trouble at the Reading v Swindon game last night probably has put an end to us getting more than the 2,900 tickets for our league game especially as the TVP could not keep a handful of Swindon fans from taking a beating.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

It’s actually probably the competition with the most chance of that happening, easiest game to get a ticket for as they never approach selling out.
I assumed that hardly anyone went and the atmosphere was like a cricket match or friendly.

I assumed that hardly anyone went and the atmosphere was like a cricket match or friendly.

Last time we played Swindon at home in the paint pot was 2016 but the crowd was 7/8000 and a large flare was let off in the north stand by our fans, had a proper derby atmosphere and everyone was made up when we beat them, Don't think the usual paint pot rules apply to derby matches.

Last time we played Swindon at home in the paint pot was 2016 but the crowd was 7/8000 and a large flare was let off in the north stand by our fans, had a proper derby atmosphere and everyone was made up when we beat them, Don't think the usual paint pot rules apply to derby matches.
...although it is probably worth mentioning that game was before the EFL decided to let Premier League U12s into the tournament and ruined it completely.

Back
Top Bottom