EFL R.I.P Bury

It might end up being a blessing in disguise. If they can keep the fanbase and maybe even the ground (is that likely?) then they can start without all the ownership baggage they seem to have collected like barnacles on a boat. The trick is going to be to somehow structure the club so the same thing doesn't happen again.
I got bored of the Conference pretty bloody quick, and the best thing about it was getting out of it - but with decent attendances they should climb the league fairly quickly, wherever they have to start from - and have some fun in doing so.
Good luck to their supporters.

The more this goes on the more I’m really starting to dislike Bury. We all feel sorry for the fans and wish what happened hadn’t happened, but it did. You aren’t special, you weren’t the first nor will you be the last, and this is the risk any business runs when it spends far more than it earns and doesn’t have a plan or a sound financial backer. Nobody should apologise to you. Are you going to apologise for cheating all those other clubs out of promotion last season?

Just P**s off and start your Phoenix club like everyone else would have to.

"Reparations"

I quite like some of those suggestions, specifically a licensing system as long as it has clear, sustainable and enforceable financial reporting etc. They can't b****r off on the reparations though as Bury brought the financial woes on themselves as that article points out otherwise, in effect, Steve Dale would be getting financially rewarded for Bury acting outside the League's spending rules which he was in charge of for half of it.

I quite like some of those suggestions, specifically a licensing system as long as it has clear, sustainable and enforceable financial reporting etc. They can't b****r off on the reparations though as Bury brought the financial woes on themselves as that article points out otherwise, in effect, Steve Dale would be getting financially rewarded for Bury acting outside the League's spending rules which he was in charge of for half of it.
Any penalties faced by the EFL come down on its members, that's us as one of them.
What it needs is the individuals who turned a blind eye to the financial mismanagement to be brought to justice.
But, yes, revise the "fit & proper" test and enforce the financial restraints properly.

Businesses that can’t pay the bills go under all the time, why should football clubs be a special case? Why shouldn’t Bury be kicked out of a football competition if by the organising body if they repeatedly don’t follow the rules? Why should they get reparations?

Politicians seeking cheap votes from football fans probably cause more harm than good, if the FL don’t have the ultimate sanction of removing clubs then it will only get worse.

Any penalties faced by the EFL come down on its members, that's us as one of them.
What it needs is the individuals who turned a blind eye to the financial mismanagement to be brought to justice.
But, yes, revise the "fit & proper" test and enforce the financial restraints properly.

Aye which makes the "reparations" ridiculous. Some Bury fans are suggesting that Steve Dale is trying to string out the winding up process as Bury are still due a solidarity payment from the PL which is utterly ridiculous. That should be either distributed to the other Lg 1 clubs to make up for the lost income from the lost home game or to the phoenix club that is looking inevitable but not the company still owned by Steve Dale*.

*I still think he will end up making money out of selling Gigg Lane as iirc he has loans secured against it. It may go to paying creditors so that wouldn't be so bad unless some goes to Steve Dale for his "loans".

Having read the actual letter above, with reference the "reparations", I don't think the reparations relate to Steve Dale or Bury, rather associated loss of earnings for ex Bury staff. So the heading on the BBC article is misleading if my take is correct.

Ignoring the Bury specific parts, there really are some good ideas in that letter that are worth pursuing. I fully agree with their comments on the Taylor Review, make it public and transparent.

Yeah, I would agree, Marked Ox - it's actually a really good letter, that is on point on the vast majority of the issues.

I can't help but think that, in the matter of financial regulation at least, the FA and EFL could take multiple lessons from the way that US sports leagues run things.

Admittedly, it's probably easier to do in a closed rather than open pyramid system, but if I want to right now, I can look up how much every single hockey or baseball or 'football' player is paid, how long their contract is, how big are the wage bills of every club and how close are they to the league's wage cap (if it has one, or in the case of MLB, how close to the luxury tax threshold).

By way of example, here's a great website that lists the salaries of every single player in the National Hockey League - https://www.capfriendly.com/

It's all completely open and transparent.

I know EFL clubs would have heart attacks over the very concept, and all their idiotic decision-making being laid bare for the fans to see - but if that level of regulation can be implemented in the US, it should be possible in Britain as well.

Latest on a Bury phoenix club.

It's the new club that has gone in at Step 10

The original Bury FC still exist and is yet to be liquidated.
Yes, but in reality (if not legality) the new club IS the club unless something very unexpected happens.

Back
Top Bottom