League 1 - Bolton, Bury & Coventry

What other team?

Newport isn't the same club that was liquidated.

Bury has not been liquidated. The club that was promoted last season still exists. There's no "phoenix club"

I do not know of a club that's been relegated multiple leagues.

That's an interesting point.

This case would be without precedent then?

What other team?

Bury has not been liquidated. The club that was promoted last season still exists. There's no "phoenix club"

This Bury version won't survive, and in reality it has gone kaput hence they now aren't in the FL. There isn't a serious bidder for them, that Brazilian certainly isn't, with no guaranteed FL place, the ludicrous mortgage on Gigg Lane and other liabilities.

Edit: To let Bury straight back in would undermine the whole pyramid structure and let off financial shenanigans (ie. getting promotion while not paying any bills at the expense of other clubs who did pay their bills) by Bury without any real punishment and set precedent for future owners of other clubs.

National League clubs don't get the leeway that Bury had so why should Bury be a special case?

Last edited:
To put the Bolton farce into perspective, Tranmere have played 5 games. Lost 3, drawn 1, Won 1. Their goal difference is 0. Their win? A 5-0 win over Bolton. Take that game away and they would be sitting 22nd just above Southend with 1 point and -5 goal difference. Instead they are 19th and 2 places above the relegation zone. Now imagine if Wimbledon play and lose to Bolton later this season and end up going down instead of Tranmere.

What other team?

It’s happened in Italy, Scotland and in non league football in England that I know of, don’t think it’s happened the Football league previously, despite the mess that some clubs have been in.

What other team?

could be wrong here, but didnt one time, albeit brief, league club Boston Utd end up dropping a couple of divisions, ( at non leauge level) in accordance with FA rules, after they dropped back down into non league for various breaches of rules n regs - following Steve Evans departing to Crawley?

Last edited:
To put the Bolton farce into perspective, Tranmere have played 5 games. Lost 3, drawn 1, Won 1. Their goal difference is 0. Their win? A 5-0 win over Bolton. Take that game away and they would be sitting 22nd just above Southend with 1 point and -5 goal difference. Instead they are 19th and 2 places above the relegation zone. Now imagine if Wimbledon play and lose to Bolton later this season and end up going down instead of Tranmere.
Great post. The EFL have completely ballsed this up.

No club should be allowed to compete in the following season if they can't prove they can survive the calendar by the time the fixtures are released. That really isn't overly harsh given the fixtures are announced in late June. If by that point you can't say, "This business can function for the next 11 months without going bankrupt" then I really don't think it's unreasonable to say they can't compete.

What other team?

Rangers FC?

Great post. The EFL have completely ballsed this up.

No club should be allowed to compete in the following season if they can't prove they can survive the calendar by the time the fixtures are released. That really isn't overly harsh given the fixtures are announced in late June. If by that point you can't say, "This business can function for the next 11 months without going bankrupt" then I really don't think it's unreasonable to say they can't compete.

The fact the EFL have decided not to come out and make a statement about the missed Bolton games or the fact that they understand that the whole league is a farce this season just proves what an inept organisation they are. They have managed to mess up 22 other club's season by allowing the bolton and Bury saga's continue into the season.

I honestly don't know how they can rectify the situation other than they should of put a transfer embargo on Bolton where by they could only sign free agents. At least then they can't benefit from the loan system.

Apparently the Football League have said they will consult with the clubs about Bury and next season. Sadly not a surprise.

Can we just keep in mind that the EFL Board is mainly made up of Chairmen of the clubs and the clubs vote for and approve the rules under which the EFL operate. It isn't independent, its the equivalent of a trade body and is run by the people it is supposedly overseeing.

Can we just keep in mind that the EFL Board is mainly made up of Chairmen of the clubs and the clubs vote for and approve the rules under which the EFL operate. It isn't independent, its the equivalent of a trade body and is run by the people it is supposedly overseeing.
hmmmm .....
I've always wondered why theres only one Monopolies commission :sneaky:

Greater manchester police investigating fraud at Bury fc.....what took them so long ???

Back
Top Bottom