EFL R.I.P Bury

Despite the Bury bid coming in before the deadline Bolton were allowed to proceed with their takeover.
No way back for Bury it seems unless it pursues the Wimbledon or Aldershot route

Despite the Bury bid coming in before the deadline Bolton were allowed to proceed with their takeover.
No way back for Bury it seems unless it pursues the Wimbledon or Aldershot route
To be fair the Bolton takeover appears to have been completed.
The Bury one collapsed.
Hopefully Bury work their way back up the leagues and like Aldershot and Wimbledon, gave big crowds as they come back

To be fair the Bolton takeover appears to have been completed.
The Bury one collapsed.
Hopefully Bury work their way back up the leagues and like Aldershot and Wimbledon, gave big crowds as they come back
They certainly have more chance. If there is £7m as was mooted for a takeover maybe the ground can be bought outright, and the club can start in Ryman Premier or similar.
Despite Aldershot going out of business because of a bankrupt, Spencer Trethewy, a 19 year old who ended up in jail, they still kept the ground and worked their way up again.
Interestingly Spencer Trethewy is now known as Spencer Day and manages and owns Farnborough Town. Rumour has it he has a helicopter and is a billionaire, and Farnborough is his play thing

The Bolton bid hold up wasn't due to the takeover consortium, it was held up by 1 of the secured debtors (the last owner Ken Anderson) which the Administrator is very clear about in their statement after the deal was completed. Everything had been agreed apart from the liability for a £5m loan between Ken Anderson and Fildraw (previous owner Eddie Davies's family Trust) which Ken Anderson had then loaned on to the club apparently.

So there is a fundamental difference between the two and the more I've read about the Brazilian bid, the more he comes over as a Nick Merry type character with even less cash.

Steve Dale and Bury (the Club) are taking the pee now.

Forever Bury, their supporters trust, should be focusing their blame on Dale and previous owner Stewart Day, not the Football League. The Football League have extended the deadline time and again from the original pre-season deadline and we are near enough a month into the season.

The Football League aren't to blame for this, Steve Dale and the previous owner is. Even ignoring the period of last season, Steve Dale had the whole of pre-season and August to make a sale, that he didn't after turning down bids prior to finally accepting one at the very last minute (who as we know saw the actual mess/tangled web the finances were so pulled out) means it is his fault.

The Football League have things to answer for and changes need to be made but they aren't the reason Bury are no longer part of it.

The Supporters Trust can actually take a modicum of blame by selling their shares and the terms of that sale to Stewart Day. They should really be focusing their energy on AFC Bury or whatever it will be called.

Last edited:
They certainly have more chance. If there is £7m as was mooted for a takeover maybe the ground can be bought outright, and the club can start in Ryman Premier or similar.
But the £7m bid from the Brazilian was for Bury as a L1 club, albeit facing almost certain relegation to L2.
No one in their right mind is gonna pay £7m for a club in the 9th or 10th tier.

But the £7m bid from the Brazilian was for Bury as a L1 club, albeit facing almost certain relegation to L2.
No one in their right mind is gonna pay £7m for a club in the 9th or 10th tier.
I agree, not £7m but there well be an offer for the ground now there is no league status.

Bury will not be readmitted into the FL and League 2 after the 71 clubs voted against. James Frith MP is taking the P**s blaming self interest considering Bury's recent seasons and spending.

I would say the same if it was us. Good luck to the Bury phoenix club (Bury 1885 I think) and their supporters.

Bury will not be readmitted into the FL and League 2 after the 71 clubs voted against. James Frith MP is taking the P**s blaming self interest considering Bury's recent seasons and spending.

I would say the same if it was us. Good luck to the Bury phoenix club (Bury 1885 I think) and their supporters.
harsh but correct decision

Yes very poor from the MP. Sure, he has an interest on behalf of his constituents but to blame the clubs for taking a decision which should never have been put to them in the first place as it was so ridiculous is disingenuous.

There must be an election coming!!

I can see a case for not starting again at the bottom (Step5 or whatever) if the club does not actually fold completely (ie. some sort of low-key takeover happens with the BRazilian chap or whoever), but to return in League 2 - the same division that they would have been had they played and got relegated normally this season - was never going to be acceptable (unless they were given a Luton-esque penalty to guarantee they dropped out the following season.
Now I know the Conference have history for not accepting demoted clubs, but I would suggest a compromise drop to say the Conference North at Step 2 might be plausible, but they can't realistically hope for more than that

I can see a case for not starting again at the bottom (Step5 or whatever) if the club does not actually fold completely (ie. some sort of low-key takeover happens with the BRazilian chap or whoever), but to return in League 2 - the same division that they would have been had they played and got relegated normally this season - was never going to be acceptable (unless they were given a Luton-esque penalty to guarantee they dropped out the following season.
Now I know the Conference have history for not accepting demoted clubs, but I would suggest a compromise drop to say the Conference North at Step 2 might be plausible, but they can't realistically hope for more than that
fair n sensible overview that ^^

Agree.
I can't believe that Bury seeiously thought that they could come back in L2.

Thing is, it doesn’t really matter much what league they start in as long as they’ve got the ground and some stability, it’s still a game of football in the old strip and beating Radcliffe 3-0 in front of 3,000 would be fun. Top of the league!

Back
Top Bottom