Transfer News Post transfer window

Didn't you learn anything from the summer transfer window? having players ready to sign on meant nothing as they all went elsewhere. Looking for players now to sign on in January is about as useful as a fart in a lift.

Hang on. So the club was absolutely slated because we didn’t identify the right targets early enough in the summer window. Now we have players ready to join the club in the January window (I believe a pre-contract has already been agreed for one player), that’s now seen as pointless? If we are able to reach a deal with Palace for Adarmola before the window opens, what is the problem!?

It’s obvious that whatever the club does, it’s just never going to be good enough for some. Whatever. That’s life. However, I for one I am pleased to see the club are being more pragmatic when it comes to the January transfer window! Lessons have been learned (finally). I can’t see how this is anything other than a good thing?

Last edited:
Hang on. So the club was absolutely slated because we didn’t identify the right targets early enough in the summer window. Now we have players ready to join the club in the January window (I believe a pre-contract has already been agreed for one player), that’s now seen as pointless? If we are able to reach a deal with Palace for Adarmola before the window opens, what is the problem!?

It’s obvious that whatever the club does, it’s just never going to be good enough for some. Whatever. That’s life. However, I for one I am pleased to see the club are being more pragmatic when it comes to the January transfer window! Lessons have been learned (finally). I can’t see how this is anything other than a good thing?

Let's wait and see what happens in January, a pre contract is nothing more than a Taylor handshake. Alot can happen in 3 and a half months of the football season.

Let's wait and see what happens in January, a pre contract is nothing more than a Taylor handshake. Alot can happen in 3 and a half months of the football season.
Ok. But I keep saying it, we need one now!!

Sorry but has a pre contract done? If Is it for permanent oR Loan.
What @OX14 commented is true players were allegedly coming here in the summer but never did so why should January be any different. It’s an honest quote.

when I was bar manager at Scamps nightclub early- mid 70s occasionally we'd have a few OUFC players in - Andy Kingston was invariable one of them. Decentish chap, always friendly and chatty- albeit not so 'friendly' on the football field in a yellow shirt, if memory serves he went in mega hard when tackling opposition players.... I've a vague memory of him being sent off in a home game underlights at the Manor ( cant remember which one- and there may have been more than just the one )
Yes Sarge was in there myself on some of those occasions!!
And Andy always was a strong tackler!!

Sorry but has a pre contract done? If Is it for permanent oR Loan.
What @OX14 commented is true players were allegedly coming here in the summer but never did so why should January be any different. It’s an honest quote.

I'd imagine a pre-contract is a permanent transfer and it would tie in with Ireland and the timing of the season. But this is pure guesswork.

Seems ridiculous that the deadline day for prem and EFL is the same, surely there should be a week or two after the prem window, so there is a trickle down of loans which would benefit everyone??

Last edited:
Many Irish players with contracts until November time. Still plenty out there that would be good additions

Seems ridiculous that the deadline day for prem and EFL is the same, surely there should be a week or two after the prem window, so there is a trickle down of loans which would benefit everyone??
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is standard for most European leagues to not have separate deadline days, and now we are in line with them. FIFA pressure brought this about IIRC.

Guys, I've been reflecting on the summer window, and actually, it went almost perfectly.
Why? Because the longer we wait into the window to sign players, the better quality players we sign.
So what the club has done, I believe, is they have taken that a step further, and are waiting until later in the season (January window) to make signings, because, as we know, better quality players will become available the longer we wait.
Although personally, I hope we sign no one in January, and wait until next summer. Even better players will be available then!

Trying to work out what Robinson exactly means in his quote here? Is he saying that if we bring in an OOC player then we will be overspending our budget this year? How can that be when we haven’t even reach our squad quota this season?

“Then you’re overspending on your budget and you don’t want to waste any money, so we’ve got to be quite creative in how we do that.”

Trying to work out what Robinson exactly means in his quote here? Is he saying that if we bring in an OOC player then we will be overspending our budget this year? How can that be when we haven’t even reach our squad quota this season?

“Then you’re overspending on your budget and you don’t want to waste any money, so we’ve got to be quite creative in how we do that.”

We’ve not reached our squad quota partly because we’ve signed some young players who don’t count, and are using our own youngsters. But I imagine there is still money left.

It feels like Robbo always needs to be "creative". And it's always a bloody mess. Maybe next window we could go for a "not creative" approach and see if it works out any better?

On another note, it does certainly sound like (as I thought) talk of huge bids for strikers etc was a myth given that a freebie is going to put us over budget. Something significantly changed in the last couple of weeks of the window that turned the tap off, and we should all be concerned by what that was.

It feels like Robbo always needs to be "creative". And it's always a bloody mess. Maybe next window we could go for a "not creative" approach and see if it works out any better?

On another note, it does certainly sound like (as I thought) talk of huge bids for strikers etc was a myth given that a freebie is going to put us over budget. Something significantly changed in the last couple of weeks of the window that turned the tap off, and we should all be concerned by what that was.
Surely, by now you realise that he just makes it up as he goes along?

Life is simpler if you just don’t listen to him or even read what he says.

Back
Top Bottom