League One Paul Lambert leaves Ipswich 'by mutual consent'

Lambert did fantastically well at Norwich, and I suppose they thought that he’d do the same for Ipswich.
I will be interested to see where he ends up. Celtic does look possible, but he will be lucky to find a good job in football again after his failings at Ipswich, although at least he ended on a high

Given the usual managerial flux, it's pretty amazing that Paul Cook has been out of work all season so far.

Won League Two with Chesterfield, then got them into the League One playoffs in their first season (and just look what happened to them after he left!). Won League Two with Pompey. Then won League One with Wigan, and despite the club being an absolute financial basket case, would have had them mid table in the Championship if it wasn't for a massive points deduction.

I don't know that he's got time to turn it around for Ipswich this year (his track record suggests his clubs have more of a slow build to success than a Day One turnaround) but I'd look out for them next year.

Fair to say that Lambert earned the sack, mind. There's a big gap between Championship & League One these days, so any decent sized club that comes down has a big advantage. Other than the financial disasters, and of course Sunderland, I think Ipswich have done the worst out of any of those bigger relegated sides since we've been in the division.

I think Paul Cook has been selective and was waiting for the right job to come along.

Back
Top Bottom