League One Gillingham - Paul Scally's letter to the fans

Marked Ox

God like member

It is a long read but there are some interesting things in there.

He is quite open on the finances and depending on the detail there are some interesting ideas. He really doesn't like the PFA based on that as he has 2 digs at them.

Another take from that is that he is monitoring social media/forums and creating dossiers on posters. I know he talks about abuse (and fair enough if it breaks the law) rather than stifling debate but that line can easily change as the definition of abuse widens and can then emcompass appropriate challenge/concerns. The threat to make names public could have an interesting impact on supporters attitudes if Scally goes too far and ends up being very divisive. I think the Oystons at Blackpool went down this sort of approach.

On a side note, Scally does seem to like a one sentence paragraph.

He is quite open on the finances and depending on the detail there are some interesting ideas. He really doesn't like the PFA based on that as he has 2 digs at them.

Another take from that is that he is monitoring social media/forums and creating dossiers on posters. I know he talks about abuse (and fair enough if it breaks the law) rather than stifling debate but that line can easily change as the definition of abuse widens and can then emcompass appropriate challenge/concerns. The threat to make names public could have an interesting impact on supporters attitudes if Scally goes too far and ends up being very divisive. I think the Oystons at Blackpool went down this sort of approach.

I started to read it but it is soooo long! Maybe a bit of bed time reading!

I

Id love to see a dossier on posters here. Grumpy - moaner - hysterical - troll - blindly optimistic - etc.

As is often observed, people are free to express their views, but others are free to take action in return. But I dont see any offensive abuse on here.

Good read that, he`s laid his cards on the table with a high degree of clarity especially around the reality of ensuring a club survives.
As for their "toxic" posters they are probably on Twitter... it attracts those sorts. ;)

I

Id love to see a dossier on posters here. Grumpy - moaner - hysterical - troll - blindly optimistic - etc.

As is often observed, people are free to express their views, but others are free to take action in return. But I dont see any offensive abuse on here.
The club does read, and take note of what is posted on here and other social media platforms. They have also appointed staff to monitor social media as their prime function.
The club is also aware that some of the 'ITK' posters have received information from club employees. I'm guessing that sometimes that information goes with the blessing of the club but also, sometimes not.

The club does read, and take note of what is posted on here and other social media platforms. They have also appointed staff to monitor social media as their prime function.
The club is also aware that some of the 'ITK' posters have received information from club employees. I'm guessing that sometimes that information goes with the blessing of the club but also, sometimes not.
That’s really interesting . So they can pick up tactical tips from some of the experts on here? I think the really toxic stuff is on social media, which I don’t really see.

I think there’s a big difference between criticising/abusing the club, manager and players on here or social media. This is a forum specifically designed to talk about Oxford United. Obviously, racist/homophobic abuse is still totally unacceptable and should never happen here or anywhere else, but I feel like it’s more acceptable to moan about/criticise a player on here than it is on social media and tag them in it. The players have a right to go on social media; but if Liam Kelly clicks on a thread on a fans online forum about a game in which he’s played poorly, and sees criticism of himself on there, well, he’s only got himself to blame.

"I am not on a witch hunt, I wouldn’t waste my time on these individuals normally, butwe are not in normal times,equally I will no longer turn a blind eye and ignore their conduct if their conduct directly or indirectly damages or seeks to damage or affects the integrity and standing of this football club, anyone at the Club, or indirectly connected to the Club. These people will be ‘red carded’ and removed from any standingor data base within the Club. Based on my definition of supporters, these people are simply not supporters and our fans should be aware of this point, and who these people are. We will make their names known to our supporters and sponsors so they will know who to avoid when engaging in normal banter on forums or other places."

So anyone that posts things he doesn't like will be banned from the club, and names announced publicly so that normal supporters can avoid them and sponsors have nothing to do with them. Seems a bit excessive.

"I am not on a witch hunt, I wouldn’t waste my time on these individuals normally, butwe are not in normal times,equally I will no longer turn a blind eye and ignore their conduct if their conduct directly or indirectly damages or seeks to damage or affects the integrity and standing of this football club, anyone at the Club, or indirectly connected to the Club. These people will be ‘red carded’ and removed from any standingor data base within the Club. Based on my definition of supporters, these people are simply not supporters and our fans should be aware of this point, and who these people are. We will make their names known to our supporters and sponsors so they will know who to avoid when engaging in normal banter on forums or other places."

So anyone that posts things he doesn't like will be banned from the club, and names announced publicly so that normal supporters can avoid them and sponsors have nothing to do with them. Seems a bit excessive.

I genuinely laughed when he used 'true supporter'. It is the potential start of a slip down a dangerous route.

I think there’s a big difference between criticising/abusing the club, manager and players on here or social media. This is a forum specifically designed to talk about Oxford United. Obviously, racist/homophobic abuse is still totally unacceptable and should never happen here or anywhere else, but I feel like it’s more acceptable to moan about/criticise a player on here than it is on social media and tag them in it. The players have a right to go on social media; but if Liam Kelly clicks on a thread on a fans online forum about a game in which he’s played poorly, and sees criticism of himself on there, well, he’s only got himself to blame.
Quite right. It's how the club is perceived that is of importance. This forum has a wide opinion base but all OUFC supporters (nearly all!) Other platforms may well have some unpleasant stuff and that is certainly an area of concern.
It's always intrigued me that we have some fairly polarised political viewpoints on here and yet still remain staunch allies when it comes to our club.

Quite right. It's how the club is perceived that is of importance. This forum has a wide opinion base but all OUFC supporters (nearly all!) Other platforms may well have some unpleasant stuff and that is certainly an area of concern.
It's always intrigued me that we have some fairly polarised political viewpoints on here and yet still remain staunch allies when it comes to our club.
I actually find that quite a few of the people here who are opposed to me politically can be quite constructive and thoughtful in discussion. It’s nothing like social media.

Take somewhere such as this forum for example, most here don't post using their real names so how would that information be obtained. Pretty sure I'm not on any club database as ljs.

Controlling this forum to keep it tidy is almost a ful-time job. The amount of s*g*r we mods have to read, including all incoming complaints, is mind-bending. But we do our best to try and keep it tidy.

Having a different opinion is fine, good actually. Keeps conversations going. Being rude or racist is a definate no-no.

Also thread that go off course annoy me personally but I know that I am also guilty of doing the same. So I will wait quite a time in the hope that threads get back on course. And then I use my powers!

But generally you're a nice bunch.

Controlling this forum to keep it tidy is almost a ful-time job.

Also thread that go off course annoy me personally but I know that I am also guilty of doing the same. So I will wait quite a time in the hope that threads get back on course. And then I use my powers! .

To make life easier, just have the one thread per match, pre, during, post, and let threads die naturally.

Also, maybe let threads just develop as they do. Can often be more interesting than the original intent.

Just trying to help. [emoji6]

Controlling this forum to keep it tidy is almost a ful-time job. The amount of s*g*r we mods have to read, including all incoming complaints, is mind-bending. But we do our best to try and keep it tidy.

Having a different opinion is fine, good actually. Keeps conversations going. Being rude or racist is a definate no-no.

Also thread that go off course annoy me personally but I know that I am also guilty of doing the same. So I will wait quite a time in the hope that threads get back on course. And then I use my powers!

This is overall a good forum with people having different opinions and generally being reasonable (I can't believe some of the things apparently said on Twitter)
There were some really good Brexit discussions on here that were generally far more civilised than seemed to he the case in the Country!

Yes, yes, but what are your thoughts on HS2?

I'll tell you when HS2 has it's own thread

Back
Top Bottom