League One Paul Cook sacked at Ipswich

Ipswich job is perfect for Neil Warnock if they’re serious about getting out of L1

They must be mourning the Lambert years.
Even wishing that the Cowley brothers had gone there

Wasn’t the Barrow 3-0 on a Friday night? Remember watching it up the Chequers in Quarry, assume it was on Setanta?

Here it is again.

First game of the season and it more or less ended the Oxford careers for some. Someone called Rob Davies started the game, was subbed at half time and never heard from again. Ben Hinchliffe in goal was soon ousted in favour of Billy Turley. Subs Levi Reid and Michael Husbands were gone/never played beyond September.

Ouch.

Here it is again.

First game of the season and it more or less ended the Oxford careers for some. Someone called Rob Davies started the game, was subbed at half time and never heard from again. Ben Hinchliffe in goal was soon ousted in favour of Billy Turley. Subs Levi Reid and Michael Husbands were gone/never played beyond September.

Ouch.
Jesus that free kick was a long way out for Hinchcliffe not to move

Here it is again.

Ouch.

My usual haunt in Berlin was closed for renovation that summer, so was forced to go to the Oscar Wilde, the only other place with Setanta that year and a real tourist trap. Called in advance and was told no problem, they could put it on. Arrived and the landlord told me that the Arsenal pre-season friendly cup game was on instead. Nobody in the place was watching it though, nor were the TVs on. When I pointed this out, he said "nah, we might have walk-ins" because they'd advertised it outside. OK, can you at least put it on and I'll go if anyone turns up. "Nope". The landlord was famous for being a stubborn old c*nt and I told him a few home truths. I was then told in no uncertain terms not to come back.

Travelled home as fast as I could, fired up SopCast (memories!) and 30 seconds later saw the first goal go in.

Thus my first and so far only barring from a pub. The place is now long gone, thankfully.

Not the best day I've ever had.

My usual haunt in Berlin was closed for renovation that summer, so was forced to go to the Oscar Wilde, the only other place with Setanta that year and a real tourist trap. Called in advance and was told no problem, they could put it on. Arrived and the landlord told me that the Arsenal pre-season friendly cup game was on instead. Nobody in the place was watching it though, nor were the TVs on. When I pointed this out, he said "nah, we might have walk-ins" because they'd advertised it outside. OK, can you at least put it on and I'll go if anyone turns up. "Nope". The landlord was famous for being a stubborn old c*nt and I told him a few home truths. I was then told in no uncertain terms not to come back.

Travelled home as fast as I could, fired up SopCast (memories!) and 30 seconds later saw the first goal go in.

Thus my first and so far only barring from a pub. The place is now long gone, thankfully.

Not the best day I've ever had.

Ha.

I’d stopped watching Oxford since 2002 as I’d moved away and aside from seeing a couple of Boxing Day games with the family, I was completely detached from OUFC until the opening day game of 09/10 season when I started watching all of our home games again.

However, I DID watch this game with about ten Saints fans as a mate of mine had Setanta. That was a long, looong 90 minutes…

I believe so, first game of the season I think.
I went on the train to all three of those games, actually a nice route along the foothills of the lake district, through Carnforth Stations (Brief Encounter).

I think the first game my train was delayed an hour around Birmingham, and with a bit of luck, the guard told me to get off at Preston and change to the train at on the next platform which was the one going on to Barrow. The train I was on was set to arrive in Lancaster after the train to Barrow would have left, so would have missed the first half.

Second Saturday game was I think the one with trouble in the pub.

The FA Cup midweek replay was miserable and cold and we lost, and after the match I went back to the travelodge and soaked in the bath for an hour.

I went on the train to all three of those games, actually a nice route along the foothills of the lake district, through Carnforth Stations (Brief Encounter).

I think the first game my train was delayed an hour around Birmingham, and with a bit of luck, the guard told me to get off at Preston and change to the train at on the next platform which was the one going on to Barrow. The train I was on was set to arrive in Lancaster after the train to Barrow would have left, so would have missed the first half.

The FA Cup midweek replay was miserable and cold and we lost, and after the match I went back to the travelodge and soaked in the bath for an hour.
Blimey that is keen! I'd quite like to go to Barrow some time as I'm curious about what it's like, but hopefully we won't play them any time soon.

Blimey that is keen! I'd quite like to go to Barrow some time as I'm curious about what it's like, but hopefully we won't play them any time soon.
You really aren’t missing much!! The town is horrible and the football ground is out the way and not a nice ground to visit.

Looks like they have put a roof back on that away terrace. When I went you could see the sawn off bottom of the wooden posts along the terrace that would have supported a roof, but it must have been taken down at some point in the distant past.

You really aren’t missing much!! The town is horrible and the football ground is out the way and not a nice ground to visit.

Holker Street is fine as an old school football ground and has been developed a bit since we've been there. The town is a bit horrible but the surrounding countryside and estuaries are fantastic.

Looks like they have put a roof back on that away terrace. When I went you could see the sawn off bottom of the wooden posts along the terrace that would have supported a roof, but it must have been taken down at some point in the distant past.

The original Holker Street End roof got taken down in the 1990s iirc, and the new one went up in the summer before they started in the FL. They've also developed the Club's bar and Executive entertaining facilities which have been doing well for them iirc.

I think I went to the first and third. The first was more or less the opening game of the season and the one where Clark got sent off for a dumb foul early on. We stood in front of the low buildings (part of which) were a bar, uncovered, I know this because I was trying to see the half-time results and some smiling person closed the blinds so we couldn't see. I went to the pub, which was hardly friendly but I don't think there was trouble unless a couple of ours left it late and got jumped.

I think there were reports on here about more proper trouble at the second.

The third was played in a cats and dogs rainstorm. I got there about an hour early thinking I'd walk to the pub then go in but it was so bad I sat in the car then went straight to the ground. We were in an uncovered stand and I was soaked despite 'rainproof' coat before kickoff. I think the bogs didn't have a roof as well. Game was awful, don't recall much of it at all. Do remember doing a salesmanly 90 approaching some roadworks when Kelvin's Jag flew past me.

Question: any one remember if we were in the same area for those matches? I tried to see where it could have been for the third game while enjoying Ipswich' performance but couldn't see anywhere else.

The original Holker Street End roof got taken down in the 1990s iirc, and the new one went up in the summer before they started in the FL. They've also developed the Club's bar and Executive entertaining facilities which have been doing well for them iirc.

Ah. Think you posted this while I was typing.

I think I went to the first and third. The first was more or less the opening game of the season and the one where Clark got sent off for a dumb foul early on. We stood in front of the low buildings (part of which) were a bar, uncovered, I know this because I was trying to see the half-time results and some smiling person closed the blinds so we couldn't see. I went to the pub, which was hardly friendly but I don't think there was trouble unless a couple of ours left it late and got jumped.

I think there were reports on here about more proper trouble at the second.

The third was played in a cats and dogs rainstorm. I got there about an hour early thinking I'd walk to the pub then go in but it was so bad I sat in the car then went straight to the ground. We were in an uncovered stand and I was soaked despite 'rainproof' coat before kickoff. I think the bogs didn't have a roof as well. Game was awful, don't recall much of it at all. Do remember doing a salesmanly 90 approaching some roadworks when Kelvin's Jag flew past me.

Question: any one remember if we were in the same area for those matches? I tried to see where it could have been for the third game while enjoying Ipswich' performance but couldn't see anywhere else.

The away section is now in the Wilkie Rd/Holker Street corner and has generally been there most of the time. There were a small section of seats in the main stand but that has stopped since building the seats in with the terracing. The only other place I can think where the away section has been is between the Main Stand and the Club bar at the opposite end. This used to have a bank of terracing but that got knocked down 2 summers ago as part of the preparations for the Football League and has been changed into a refreshment area/disabled section.

Back
Top Bottom