League One Paul Cook sacked at Ipswich

To be fair, Karl had a poor start, like Cook did. Mad to judge a manager on less than half a season, unless they are Clotet.

I agree. The difference is that Cook had a blank cheque book which massively increases the pressure on him to get up to speed quickly.

I also accept that transfer dealings are very different from wider profitability, but the point remains that Robinson has achieved stability and some success whilst helping to balance the books. That deserves recognition and I'm not sure that Cook would significantly improve things here. He is a very good manager at this level, but so is Robinson.

Ipswich have approached Frank Lampard to be their manager.

Whst has Lampard done in his managerial career? Go for it Ipswich if your aims are to consolidate in League One.

Got overspent Derby in to the play offs and was average at Chelsea. Dipswich will never learn and the manager Merry go round will continue.

Lampard I think could well there. He will have connections and the fans may well give him time.
Not saying he will stay long term but he may well get them back up one division. His credibility would be restored.

That would be some serious decline getting sacked from Chelsea being linked with Norwhich but taking a job at a struggling league one team in Ipswich

I thought Frank was nailed on for the Rangers job. I think he did too...

There’s massive potential at Ipswich. Could be a great chance for him to put the past behind him and have something good on his CV

There’s massive potential at Ipswich. Could be a great chance for him to put the past behind him and have something good on his CV

I can see why Lampard might want to go to Ipswich.

Less clear why Ipswich might want Lampard (other than the publicity).
In his entire career - playing and managerial - his sum total experience of the lower leagues was a nine game loan stint at Swansea 25 years ago.

He may have good connections, and I'm sure he's taken all the right courses - but there's no evidence that he knows how to coach and manage players at this level.

Seriously, have there ever been any examples of big name stars dropping down to manage in the lower leagues and being successful?
I can only think of a string of failures - Sol Campbell, Paul Scholes, Paul Merson, Tony Adams........I guess Paul Ince was the best, and that's because he had one good year at MK Dons followed by a succession of bad ones at multiple clubs.

In his entire career - playing and managerial - his sum total experience of the lower leagues was a nine game loan stint at Swansea 25 years ago.

He may have good connections, and I'm sure he's taken all the right courses - but there's no evidence that he knows how to coach and manage players at this level.

Seriously, have there ever been any examples of big name stars dropping down to manage in the lower leagues and being successful?
I can only think of a string of failures - Sol Campbell, Paul Scholes, Paul Merson, Tony Adams........I guess Paul Ince was the best, and that's because he had one good year at MK Dons followed by a succession of bad ones at multiple clubs.
Annoyingly those idiots from the wrong end of the A420 had a string of big name managers who did OK. But on the whole, it's rare these days.

Jimmy Floyd haslebank.
Polo di canio.

Although he might come out with some nonsense at times, Sol did a decent job in one of his lower league managerial spells to be fair.

People moan when ex premier league players walk straight into jobs in the top leagues rather than learn their trade lower down and work their way up yet we now have people saying Lampard shouldn’t manage at this level because he has no experience of lower league football!
Maybe it might actually make him a better manager in the long run if he managed at Ipswich and rebuilt his managerial career?

People moan when ex premier league players walk straight into jobs in the top leagues rather than learn their trade lower down and work their way up yet we now have people saying Lampard shouldn’t manage at this level because he has no experience of lower league football!
Maybe it might actually make him a better manager in the long run if he managed at Ipswich and rebuilt his managerial career?
Now, don't be coming on here with your common sense and flawless logic. There's no place for it here ;)

I've no doubt that managing at Ipswich would be good for Lampard.

What I'm wondering is why Ipswich would think it's a good choice for them. They clearly have money and therefore options here.
They want promotion, so is a manager that has almost zero experience of League One, and zero promotions on his CV the right choice?

I didn't want Lampard to come to Oxford when it was rumoured a few years ago. I would feel the same way now if I was an Ipswich fan.

I've no doubt that managing at Ipswich would be good for Lampard.

What I'm wondering is why Ipswich would think it's a good choice for them. They clearly have money and therefore options here.
They want promotion, so is a manager that has almost zero experience of League One, and zero promotions on his CV the right choice?

I didn't want Lampard to come to Oxford when it was rumoured a few years ago. I would feel the same way now if I was an Ipswich fan.

To be fair employing experienced lower league managers hasn’t really worked for them recently.

Cook has spent millions to get a team to 11th.

Robinson has made millions for our club whilst getting us to 5th.

Be careful what you wish for.
Probably worth noting KR had a torrid time at one stage and we stood by him.

Ipswich didn’t. Not a fair comparison but agree with your overall premise . Just a bit of a disingenuous example after 20 games

Back
Top Bottom