General Oxford United Squad 2023/24

This.

I hope the penny drops for a few when we open up next season away to Stevenage - whilst on the same day Plymouth go to Goodison Park.

"Here's what you could have won".
I don’t think anyone thinks that! But you can forgive people feeling happy that we seem to have been sorted out and are looking more like Oxford United. One swallow and all that but there’s been so much negative stuff it’s nice to be looking forward more positively. As long as we win at FGR of course.

I don’t think anyone thinks that!

Perhaps not, but there are plenty who continue to massively underestimate how much of a wasted opportunity this season has been.

I believe that was @MJB's point. Enjoy safety - but learn the lessons from the absolute clusterf*ck that was OUFC 22/23.

That should extend to the fans also - especially those who spent so long not only vehemently arguing that everything was ok but who still blindly continue to gloss over many of the issues.

My order of business for Summer 2023 (doesn't have to be in this order, although it's as good as any) if we're still in League One:

1) Manning needs to decide whether he's sticking with the current 4-2-3-1 system, or going to switch to the 5-3-2 that served him well at MKD
2) Either sign two new starting full-backs, or two new wing-backs, depending on the answer to #1
3) Sign two new strikers; both with a track record of scoring goals, and at least one of them scoring at our level
4) Sign a physically imposing, aggressive central midfielder
5) Don't bring back any of the OOC players. Of the loanees, Bate can stay if he wants (but I highly doubt he/Leeds will); Joseph as well if you can extend his loan or you can get him for a small fee.....but not the 750k that has been bandied about. If you can't keep those two, try and find other loanees of equivalent quality in the same positions.

Once you've done all that, then you've got a reasonably balanced squad.

Then you can start to think about upgrading at other positions by moving players on and signing better replacements - if you can find takers, I would shift Seddon, Jones, Eastwood, Stevens, Henry, Findlay, Wildschut, Baldock & Murphy......but I've written that list in approximate order of how likely I think it is to find a club that'll be willing to pay their wages. None of them are so irredeemable, however, that I would want to burn money paying off their contracts. If you can't move them on, you keep them and use them.

That leaves Long, Moore, Brown, Brannagan, McGuane, Bodin & Browne as your experienced holdover squad members, and McGinty, Negru, Golding, Johnson, Smyth, Goodrham and GOD as your promising yoof.

Anderson is the wild card - I think there's enough there that I would be open to keeping him too. But I suspect LM doesn't fancy him, so he'll move on as well.

Perhaps not, but there are plenty who continue to massively underestimate how much of a wasted opportunity this season has been.

I believe that was @MJB's point. Enjoy safety - but learn the lessons from the absolute clusterf*ck that was OUFC 22/23.

That should extend to the fans also - especially those who spent so long not only vehemently arguing that everything was ok but who still blindly continue to gloss over many of the issues.
Of course this is true, it’s just been said over and over. It’s nice to have a bit of chat about left backs again.

My order of business for Summer 2023 (doesn't have to be in this order, although it's as good as any) if we're still in League One:

1) Manning needs to decide whether he's sticking with the current 4-2-3-1 system, or going to switch to the 5-3-2 that served him well at MKD
2) Either sign two new starting full-backs, or two new wing-backs, depending on the answer to #1
3) Sign two new strikers; both with a track record of scoring goals, and at least one of them scoring at our level
4) Sign a physically imposing, aggressive central midfielder
5) Don't bring back any of the OOC players. Of the loanees, Bate can stay if he wants (but I highly doubt he/Leeds will); Joseph as well if you can extend his loan or you can get him for a small fee.....but not the 750k that has been bandied about. If you can't keep those two, try and find other loanees of equivalent quality in the same positions.

Once you've done all that, then you've got a reasonably balanced squad.

Then you can start to think about upgrading at other positions by moving players on and signing better replacements - if you can find takers, I would shift Seddon, Jones, Eastwood, Stevens, Henry, Findlay, Wildschut, Baldock & Murphy......but I've written that list in approximate order of how likely I think it is to find a club that'll be willing to pay their wages. None of them are so irredeemable, however, that I would want to burn money paying off their contracts. If you can't move them on, you keep them and use them.

That leaves Long, Moore, Brown, Brannagan, McGuane, Bodin & Browne as your experienced holdover squad members, and McGinty, Negru, Golding, Johnson, Smyth, Goodrham and GOD as your promising yoof.

Anderson is the wild card - I think there's enough there that I would be open to keeping him too. But I suspect LM doesn't fancy him, so he'll move on as well.
I suspect Anderson loses the ball too much for Manning. I also suspect he’s been worked out by opponents, he always runs inside and you can get the ball off him once he crosses the half way line. I’ve really enjoyed watching him though

Precisely.

I’ll be on Cloud Nine if we stay up. Absolutely over the moon.

But that should not distract us from how poor this season has been. The complete waste of money, the propping up of a busted flush, two more terrible transfer windows.

But worse than all of that, the atmosphere was absolutely toxic. Many fans didn’t want to go anymore, fans were getting after each other and the sense of apathy was really worrying.

And at precisely the time that the club’s very existence is at stake as we seek a home.

But that’s all for picking up in a couple of weeks. Let’s all be United for the last two games and get behind the club. COYY.

I suspect Anderson loses the ball too much for Manning. I also suspect he’s been worked out by opponents, he always runs inside and you can get the ball off him once he crosses the half way line. I’ve really enjoyed watching him though
I don’t agree with any of this. I reckon he’s just too attacking to risk playing as a fullback when we’re in a relegation dogfight, but I don’t recall the Portsmouth fullback working him out when he absolutely roasted him a few times even though he was only on the pitch for about ten minutes.

I know you feel similarly - I just want us all as fans not to think all is OK if we do manage to stay up.

This season has been a disgrace on the field and the senior leaders have to take a lot of the responsibility for that. They should publicly recognise that and set out how they will help ensure it doesn’t happen again in their watch.
First step might be a fans forum one might think :unsure:

Staying up is rightly the number one priority right now, but once done, those in charge need to explain to us "customers" how it went so horribly wrong, and what they've done to address it.

Simply brushing it under the carpet is not an option. If you're going to make mistakes, at least have the courage to own it and admit what they were.

I tend to agree. I think that Brown was average at CB but has been decent at left back. A bit of a Josh Ruffels of a left back ( better defensively than JR, but JR is a better passer).
Do you honestly not think Brown played well when he was the left-sided centre back in a back three? I thought he looked decent there. Not necessarily better than at left back, but not really worse either. I’m not sure about him in a two, I’ll give you that.

I don’t agree with any of this. I reckon he’s just too attacking to risk playing as a fullback when we’re in a relegation dogfight, but I don’t recall the Portsmouth fullback working him out when he absolutely roasted him a few times even though he was only on the pitch for about ten minutes.
Agree. A player like Anderson needs rhythm and rustiness will make him look a far worse player because it's all about speed and tight spaces with him. I think Manning's first job was to scrape a team off the floor that couldn't buy a clean sheet let alone a point. So I can see logic in getting the best defenders of the penalty area in place and get the foundations right. When that's the priority, Anderson is a risk but it was becoming more necessary the harder we made it look to win. I really hope we haven't seen the last of him.

Agree. A player like Anderson needs rhythm and rustiness will make him look a far worse player because it's all about speed and tight spaces with him. I think Manning's first job was to scrape a team off the floor that couldn't buy a clean sheet let alone a point. So I can see logic in getting the best defenders of the penalty area in place and get the foundations right. When that's the priority, Anderson is a risk but it was becoming more necessary the harder we made it look to win. I really hope we haven't seen the last of him.
I hope the Jodi Jones situation is looked at again as well. Treated disgracefully IMO and if he offers something we should think about triggering his one-year option too.
Though I think Manning will make a clean break with both of them.

As long as his wages aren't silly (they might be, I've got no idea) I'd like to see Anderson here next season. He certainly gives us something different and our record with him is miles better than without, he's one of very few players we have who give the other team something to think about rather than knocking it around in front of them at pedestrian speed.

Do you honestly not think Brown played well when he was the left-sided centre back in a back three? I thought he looked decent there. Not necessarily better than at left back, but not really worse either. I’m not sure about him in a two, I’ll give you that.
How many times did he play in a back 3?
I agree that he is better in a 3 than a 2.

I hope the Jodi Jones situation is looked at again as well. Treated disgracefully IMO and if he offers something we should think about triggering his one-year option too.
Though I think Manning will make a clean break with both of them.
The trouble is a decision on their contracts will likely be needed before pre season so Jodi isn’t going to get a chance to impress Manning first hand.

I think with Anderson it already feels like he’s being marginalised and I think his wage will be a factor. He may be a necessary sacrifice to give us room for manoeuvre but for me it would be a shame as I think he’s a rare breed at this level and in the right team could be lethal.

• React
Reactions: Ian
How many times did he play in a back 3?
I agree that he is better in a 3 than a 2.
Not enough IMO. Like Sam Long, he just looks tailor-made for that role. Neither are effective enough offensively for full back and neither are outstanding enough defensively to play centrally in a 4 for a top side. But I would definitely see a place for Brown in a back 3 alongside Moore. I still like Findlay, though, and I think we’ve been too quick to write him off. He’s rebuilding himself after having his confidence taken from him by a bully. Not sure we’ve seen the best of him by any stretch but people seem to have made their minds up.

Does someone have a list of the current squad and contract status? Could we make it a sticky thread?
I'm trying to keep up with who is on loan (Beadle for instance) and who is "our" player.
It seems the club is being a bit more cagey about announcing contract details, such as for instance 2 year deal with contract extension.
Last update was just that Elliot Moore had signed a new long term deal.

Re the squad. Teddy Mfuni is still shown as being part of the first team squad on the OWS. Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom