Ex Player Oxford United Legends and Icons

I’m confused about what makes someone a legend. Does it have to be good? Where do Johnny Lager, David Rush, Bananaman fit? They’re some of the ones that stories (legends?) are still told about.

This is subjective and personal. My view is no, they don't have to have been the best players we have had. I look upon Mickey Lewis and Les Robinson as club legends for example. Would they be in the top 11 best players we have had, no. Someone questioned Les Robinson as a legend. He had a testimonial, how many players have had that? Can you even have one if you are not a club legend in some way?

Does Christophe Remy fall into the third category?

Surely to qualify for the third category, they should be good stories. I would not remotely want to consider Alsop as a club legend.

What are these categories and how are they defined? To me an icon, folk hero, legend all overlap massively.

I was going off the link for the Football Manager categories in the opening post. There will be overlap but that is the discussion. :)

I was going off the link for the Football Manager categories in the opening post. There will be overlap but that is the discussion. :)
Fair enough but I would say an icon or legend are essentially the same thing when discussing Oxford United players. Favoured personnel sounds like some kind of American coperate speak.

For me it’s players who made massive contributions to the club, it can be appearances, committed to the cause or just had a bit of a edge which raised them above the rest

Fair enough but I would say an icon or legend are essentially the same thing when discussing Oxford United players. Favoured personnel sounds like some kind of American coperate speak.

I guess by distinguishing between Legend or Icon then those very, very special people (Arther Turner, JIm Smith, Joey Beauchamp etc) to the club don't get swamped in a large list.

Kevin Francis? Cult hero.

Steve Anthrobus? Difficult, eh?

Oh Kevin Francis that miss and that nonpenalty
How about villains, such as vialli for going down for the penalty and leboeuf for scoring it, oh and the ref....

Back
Top Bottom