OUSP Discussion

That's disgusting that a fellow fan couldn't watch the second half on Saturday because there wasn't a suitable place for him to sit and keep dry ... I have a question how many boxes were sold on Saturday .

Practical short term solution - you can get what is best described as a poncho that protects both user and wheelchair from the elements.

End of the day we watch the game outside so anyone should prepare for adverse weather conditions specifically if they have additional needs.

Highly recommended for us arthritic folk who find the common seats abjectly painful and I`m surprised the club don`t sell them...... :)
1698658057212.png

Practical short term solution - you can get what is best described as a poncho that protects both user and wheelchair from the elements.

End of the day we watch the game outside so anyone should prepare for adverse weather conditions specifically if they have additional needs.

Highly recommended for us arthritic folk who find the common seats abjectly painful and I`m surprised the club don`t sell them...... :)
View attachment 16474
Can somebody who is wheelchair bound fit and secure a cover themselves?

Can somebody who is wheelchair bound fit and secure a cover themselves?

These have been discussed since the issue was brought to our attention on Saturday. The point you raise is a valid one, as covering yourself is one thing, but being able to cover a wheelchair (particularly the larger electric ones) is something that would likely require assistance.

These have been discussed since the issue was brought to our attention on Saturday. The point you raise is a valid one, as covering yourself is one thing, but being able to cover a wheelchair (particularly the larger electric ones) is something that would likely require assistance.
There used to be a number of wheelchair users on the gantry at the back of the south stand. These spaces are still listed on the stadium seating plan, albeit they are always greyed out as they can no longer be purchased.

I have seen it stated that this area stopped being used because the lifts were deemed unsuitable for wheelchairs, which surprised me as when the stadium was my place of work those lifts were used every game by wheelchair users and those accompanying them without any issues being reported, and that was 13/14 years ago.

Is there any word on whether there has been a development or something that has changed beyond the club’s control, as opposed to the club taking the decision to close this area themselves?

Unfortunately you're right with much of this. There are licence restrictions that prevent the game being televised, plus I believe the TV's don't work in the East Stand and this is the responsibility of the stadium company.
I'm sure you're right on this but I think I remember that at Burton they have the game on the screen in the concourse live, I can remember watching a few minutes of a second half while finishing my faggots and mushy peas.

I'm sure you're right on this but I think I remember that at Burton they have the game on the screen in the concourse live, I can remember watching a few minutes of a second half while finishing my faggots and mushy peas.
A club is allowed to broadcast the game inside the stadium because anybody able to view the footage is already in attendance. Or certainly that used to be the case.

I did the same in the conference years! I believe the licencing agreements changed when iFollow was introduced, but more than happy to get clarity on this.

There used to be a number of wheelchair users on the gantry at the back of the south stand. These spaces are still listed on the stadium seating plan, albeit they are always greyed out as they can no longer be purchased.

I have seen it stated that this area stopped being used because the lifts were deemed unsuitable for wheelchairs, which surprised me as when the stadium was my place of work those lifts were used every game by wheelchair users and those accompanying them without any issues being reported, and that was 13/14 years ago.

Is there any word on whether there has been a development or something that has changed beyond the club’s control, as opposed to the club taking the decision to close this area themselves?
Safety inspection a few seasons ago pronounced it unsuitable. Why the use of the lift had never been questioned before is a mystery.

As mentioned, the lifts that service the SSU are barely suitable for normal usage but completely inadequate in the event of an emergency where wheelchair users would need to evacuate the stadium.

It has been mentioned about using an executive box that isn't otherwise used, and this was something I had thought about myself. However, I'm not sure what the view would be from inside for someone in a wheelchair and whether there is enough elevation so enable someone to be able to see over the existing seating.

As said before, the Kassam is barely fit for purpose for some of our disabled fans and it is disgracefully that we are stuck with a two tier system for those who deserve so much better.

How does food and drink make its way to the Headington bar and restaurant? Surely there must be a service lift that carries heavy goods, that would be able to be used by wheelchair users? If so, why can't the back of the SSU be modified to ensure wheelchair users could use this space to view the match? I'd think that the back of Block 9 would have a wide enough viewing area to accommodate wheelchair users.

Whether it is the club or stadium company at fault, I'm appalled at the way this supporter was treated on Saturday and sincerely hope that the club are able to make good this situation. Being wheelchair bound as a relatively young man must be hard enough, without the added indignity of not being able to enjoy your afternoon in the same way as 99.9% of the other paying supporters - through absolutely no fault of his own.

From my vantage point in the SSU, i spotted Niall McW walking around the perimeter of the pitch holding a clipboard after a few minutes of the second half (fence end), i really hope that was following a visit to this supporter. If not, let's hope a semi-permanent/workaround solution is in place ahead of Saturday's game and this supporters is invited to be a VIP at an upcoming game.

Terrible to see that chap in that position.

Question: what was it about Saturday that caused it? It rains regularly and the stadium hasn't changed, so is this something that he (and others) have to endure regularly or was there something special about Saturday?

Terrible to see that chap in that position.

Question: what was it about Saturday that caused it? It rains regularly and the stadium hasn't changed, so is this something that he (and others) have to endure regularly or was there something special about Saturday?
Perhaps this chap has endured this experience before but this time a fellow fan noticed and was disgusted by it ( I don't know) but either way I'm glad it has been noticed nobody should have to experience that not nowadays there should be a dry space for people like this chap to go and be able to enjoy what everyone else in the stadium is enjoying

The licence restrictions for 3pm games doesn't prevent Nick Harris not travelling to away games but watching the game so he can contribute for BBC Oxford

The licence restrictions for 3pm games doesn't prevent Nick Harris not travelling to away games but watching the game so he can contribute for BBC Oxford
This is for journalists rather than the wider public.

Back
Top Bottom