OUSP Discussion

We're not really talking about the wider public here are we, it's a disabled fan who has paid to watch the game live but circumstances dictate that he can't do that.. I appreciate rules are rules when it suits but this isn't just some fan trying to take advantage.
agree 100%

We're not really talking about the wider public here are we, it's a disabled fan who has paid to watch the game live but circumstances dictate that he can't do that.. I appreciate rules are rules when it suits but this isn't just some fan trying to take advantage.
The football club has taken money off of somebody and failed to provide them with the ability to watch the game safely. The club has a legal duty, let alone a moral one, to ensure that this sort of thing does not happen.

I’m not arsed about the stadium being crap - I’m arsed about the football club taking people’s money and then failing to adhere to its responsibilities.

The club have worked closely with the individual to address the issues raised, and OUSP will continue to monitor this and provide ongoing support.

In the interests of this supporter I will not be making any further comments on this case.

Last edited:
The football club has taken money off of somebody and failed to provide them with the ability to watch the game safely. The club has a legal duty, let alone a moral one, to ensure that this sort of thing does not happen.

I’m not arsed about the stadium being crap - I’m arsed about the football club taking people’s money and then failing to adhere to its responsibilities.
Hate to disagree but, the terms & conditions don't back up any legal obligation other than offering a refund.
The lift was declared unsafe for wheelchair users following a fire inspection. It all comes down to the stadium being unfit for purpose. That won't change.
It's a real disgrace but that's how it is. There are no fully covered accessible spaces for wheelchair users in the stadium.

Hate to disagree but, the terms & conditions don't back up any legal obligation other than offering a refund.
The lift was declared unsafe for wheelchair users following a fire inspection. It all comes down to the stadium being unfit for purpose. That won't change.
It's a real disgrace but that's how it is. There are no fully covered accessible spaces for wheelchair users in the stadium.
A refund constitutes a legal obligation. Whatever the club has to do to fix this situation, it should do. And then some, in my opinion, because the club chose to sell a ticket that it either knew might be unsuitable for use, or that it didn’t consider might be unsuitable at all. It needs to make it right and not just chalk it up to Firoz Kassam, as though that somehow means they haven’t let anybody down. He built a shoddy ground; the club has a duty to sell tickets responsibly.

The club have worked closely with the individual to address the issues raised, and OUSP will continue to monitor this and provide ongoing support.

In the interests of this supporter I will not be making any further comments on this case.
What about a gazebo/tent as a temporary measure in the corner where Olly's den used to be. You could get one big enough in that corner for several wheelchair users.

Ignoring the legal stuff and T&Cs it's a moral issue, obviously the club appear to be looking to rectify things now they are aware which to be fair is all anyone can ask.

Hopefully the new stadium will factor these potential issues in.

This is absolutely awful.
I know the guy & the person he comes to games with & have seen the joy being at the football brings to his life, for this to be allowed to happen is a disgrace. Club needs to take a look at themselves really.

These have been discussed since the issue was brought to our attention on Saturday. The point you raise is a valid one, as covering yourself is one thing, but being able to cover a wheelchair (particularly the larger electric ones) is something that would likely require assistance.
I know he goes with someone who takes him, so does have someone with him at games so would have that assistance but it’s having those things available to use I suppose

I am a little surprised that either Kassam or the club are not legally responsible for keeping the lift maintained (it is a necessary part of the ground with the number of steps to get to the SSU).
But on the basis that it was a very poorly drafted contract, the club surely should have looked to ensure that these supporters are somehow in a dry safe place? I appreciate that this maybe difficult, but surely not impossible?

Back
Top Bottom