Nile Ranger

Until two hours ago I was a definite no over signing Nile Ranger. Having just spent the morning watching the True Geordie interview with him, I've now changed my mind. He's either a very good actor or he genuinely knows what a tit he's been. Sign him on a pay per play basis, give him a chance. If he puts one step out of line, then get rid. If he is genuine in what he says in the video, then let him prove it. His true character will come out for better or for worse.

I`ve just watched it and that is probably the only option if we must.

Until two hours ago I was a definite no over signing Nile Ranger. Having just spent the morning watching the True Geordie interview with him, I've now changed my mind. He's either a very good actor or he genuinely knows what a tit he's been. Sign him on a pay per play basis, give him a chance. If he puts one step out of line, then get rid. If he is genuine in what he says in the video, then let him prove it. His true character will come out for better or for worse.
Yep. A pay as you play deal is the only one we should offer. If he really wants to play again he'll accept it. If he does well his career could open up again. On past evidence he'll blow his chance but thats down to him and not us!!

Don’t want him anywhere near our club.

The fact that we are even considering the offer of a contract highlights the P**s poor striker recruitment in the summer.

Reflects very badly on those responsible for recruitment. Not up to the level at which a League 1 club should be.

Pity those whose job it is to try and portray Oxford United as a family oriented club.

Although I have already posted that Mr Ranger should not be playing because of the division which it will cause, I think we are now in a "Needs must when the Devil drives" scenario.....

'Big Boris' knows all about that there Devils Drive ;)

Although I have already posted that Mr Ranger should not be playing because of the division which it will cause, I think we are now in a "Needs must when the Devil drives" scenario.....
My problem with this (apart from any moral quandaries about having this bloke playing for our club at all or doubts about his ability to behave for any length of time) is that he just isn't that good. Certainly not good enough to justify the whole wagon train of baggage he will be bringing along with him and certainly not good enough to make enough difference to drag us out of the mire.

My problem with this (apart from any moral quandaries about having this bloke playing for our club at all or doubts about his ability to behave for any length of time) is that he just isn't that good. Certainly not good enough to justify the whole wagon train of baggage he will be bringing along with him and certainly not good enough to make enough difference to drag us out of the mire.

Maybe better than Smith though?

He says himself in the video “ if I was a manager or chairman I wouldn’t touch me” so enough said.

It’s all very well saying he believes in his ability but talks cheap and counts for nothing if you have an attitude that stinks. I’ve no doubt he would improve our front line but I’d rather wait for re-enforcements in January.

I’ve no doubt he would improve our front line but I’d rather wait for re-inforcements in January.

I’ve no doubt that re-signing Bertie Biggins would improve our front line at the moment, and that’s far preferable to signing Nile Ranger!

Million pound striker from Italy in January, that’ll do me just fine thanks!

Having watched the video, part of me feels sorry for him. But I don’t think he has the sense to change now. If he does get another chance it won’t be for the good of whichever club it is, just himself.

I watched the full video yesterday. I have to say, bearing in mind that was recorded prior to him training with us, he does seem to want to change. He said he wouldn't train with a team to get a contract, well he's been with us for two weeks so he's obviously trying.

I have no doubt, on the pitch, he'll be a vast improvement to what we've got.

I’ve watched the video too - and I must say, it changed my opinion of him - in the sense that he came off as much less malicious and vile than I’d expected. Admittedly it was his take on all the situations, but it felt like he was trying to be as open as possible (probably too open and honest in regards to his rape acquittal) and he does seem to have been, at times, a victim of poor choice, poor circumstance and poor associations. And, to his credit, he sounded relatively contrite and accepting of his responsibility for that.

BUT, it did nothing more to make me want him at our club. His rap sheet remains disgusting, he appears fundamentally incapable of taking his football career and ‘talent’ (I’m sceptical as to how much he actually has at this point in time) seriously...and above all else he seems unbelievably stupid!

Like...moronically, inconceivably, irretrievably idiotic. The Geordie lad hosting the interview called him out on it too. He seems utterly dumb to a self-sabotaging degree...and for that reason I don’t see any reason to get him in.

I don’t see any way that he’ll be so unbelievably good that it mitigates the risk (or, more realistically, the near-certainty) that he remains a ticking time bomb of unprofessional ineptitude...and at best will be destabilisingly poor for the squad, and at worse will go totally off the rails, end up in court and make us a joke in all the national rags.

Skimmed through some of the video, admittedly, but nothing there to convince me this guy is capable of turning it round. He’s a disaster waiting to happen and, as Mcxal suggests, is likely only to destabilise the squad; I don’t get the impression he’s a team player - he’s in it for Nile Ranger. He is the antithesis of what Mapp tried to create in the changing room and even contemplating taking him on shows a moral decline in our standards. I know KR is desperate (nobody to blame but himself there) to bring in a number 9, but really, no thank you. He’s an embarrassment to the game.

to those saying he’s not a very good player, this is the message I received from my Swindon supporting colleague:

No questioning his talent. He’s a solid target man. Wins a lot off ball in the air, the ball sticks to him, brings others into play. Easily championship quality on ability alone... absolute knob head of a human being though

to those saying he’s not a very good player, this is the message I received from my Swindon supporting colleague:

No questioning his talent. He’s a solid target man. Wins a lot off ball in the air, the ball sticks to him, brings others into play. Easily championship quality on ability alone... absolute knob head of a human being though
I’ve just highlighted the relevant points... ?

Have to agree. I was speaking today with a Swindon supporting friend who said that on the field Ranger was excellent for them and if he can get back his fitness he certainly has the quality. Whether he can change as a human being though is another matter.

I reckon Obika for one is desperate for us to sign him if it will draw the abuse he gets from some quarters away from him. Just imagine the stick he’ll get from some our fans if he has a bad game.

Watched the video, doesn’t change my thoughts on him. He’d have to be very, very stupid to act up/say bad things in a planned media interview. I think he’ll be a divisive element in what appears to already be a less than harmonious camp at times.

Our recruitment this summer was shocking for the most part and the fact the guy is potentially signing for us sums up how bad it was.

Apologies I am unable to name my source for obvious reasons but I was told today that Nile Ranger will not be signing, put simply it was to much of a risk.

I was prepared to give him a go, but I don’t pay the bills.

Back
Top Bottom