Nile Ranger

Also, regardless of individual feelings, he has 'done his time'.

It would be unfair of the club to openly reject Ranger on the basis of past misdeeds.
It has from NR point of view given him some kind of reference to call upon..for the Southern Lge or whatever..this is his rehab in football terms

• React
Reactions: m
It the correct decision in my opinion, but we shouldn’t be in a position where we are even considering to offer a contract. Poor striker recruitment in the summer is the main issue.

The again perhaps Robinson has played a crafty one here? Has the board been ‘forced’ into releasing funds for a striker or two in January as they didn’t fancy the fans backlash if Ranger was signed?

Well that was a waste of everyones time.

Ranger-did everything expected.
Robbo -wanted him as we are short up front

Didnt happen. Hmmmm. Suspect this is more a financial than football decision.

Still, weve got the mythical January to come.

Yes it’s time to splash some more cash !
That would be nice but, given that we failed to sign all these players that Robbo wanted in the summer (allegedly due to prices and wages), what will change in January? Is the cash there to spend? Has the player budget been adjusted to accommodate higher wages? Have the nice new directors dug out all their loose change?
I hope so, wish it to be so but remain sceptical.

Also, regardless of individual feelings, he has 'done his time'.

It would be unfair of the club to openly reject Ranger on the basis of past misdeeds.
Well it is now water under the bridge (thankfully), but you don't adopt a repeatedly biting dog on the basis that his previous owner smacked him for doing it last time, and the time before that and the time before that!

That would be nice but, given that we failed to sign all these players that Robbo wanted in the summer (allegedly due to prices and wages), what will change in January? Is the cash there to spend? Has the player budget been adjusted to accommodate higher wages? Have the nice new directors dug out all their loose change?
I think everyone is being over-optimistic about the January window. I can’t see any half-decent striker wanting to join us (or their club releasing them) let alone Bazzer’s 20 goal man. Lower your expectations, guys!

Robinson is a win win with this (along away on field results) when it comes to January he is now in a much stronger position with regards to bringing in who he wants after he’s had his last two targets (Maynard, Ranger) turned down. In a way, he’s used Ranger to have a crafty dig at Tiger and co. His use of the media is clever as well.

Don’t be fooled, Robinson is very much of aware of the social media side of things, just like Pep (he would walk around openly checking his twitter feed to see who was slaying him!) was before him. Robinson is trying to do what he can do get the fans onside after the start we’ve made.

Robinson is trying to do what he can do get the fans onside after the start we’ve made.
He will have a hard job doing that until he can jettison some of the poor signings and loans he made and considerably and consistently improves the performance of the team on the pitch. Even considering signing Ranger has NOT been a master stroke so far as his reputation is concerned with many of us. If the board turned down the signing of Maynard (who Robinson reckoned could play 10-15 minutes per match!) and Ranger (a disruptive scumbag, who isn't even that good as a footballer) against the wishes of the manager, then I hope they continue to keep their eyes firmly on him.

Striking options then...

££££
Macauley Bonne - 23
15 goals this season with an xG of 13.56...the highest in the national league. First season he has been prolific, signed a 2 year deal in the summer

Jayden Stockley - 25
11 goals already this season following his 20 last season. Will be going for some serious money to the championship i suspect

Ollie Palmer - 26
9 goals from an xG of 10.42. Signed a two year deal in the summer after joing from Lincoln...represented by New Era....

James Norwood - 28
Prolific in the national league with Tranmere, has carried in to league 2 with 13 non penalty goals.

Out of Contract summer 2019
Kieran Agard - 29
Currently the best striker in league 2 with quality of chances...currently underperforming only scoring 8. Played league 1 previously - Robisnon signed him at MK

Chuks Aneke - 25
8 goals, too good for league 2. Signed a two year deal in 2017, so guess out of contract next summer. One of the top scorers and creators in the league.

Pretty slim pickings unless we are going to throw some money about.

Well that was a waste of everyones time.

Ranger-did everything expected.
Robbo -wanted him as we are short up front

Didnt happen. Hmmmm. Suspect this is more a financial than football decision.

Still, weve got the mythical January to come.

Don't you tire of re-writing the same post over and over again?

I think we all understand your views on OUFC.

I’ve got a feeling January will be a massive let down for both fans and KR. I’ve nothing to base it on, but if serious money is not made available, as is clearly needed to bolster the squad, then does it then not show that these millionaires are at the club for footballing reasons.

I would agree that's the acid test if you could convince me that any sane person would trust Mr Robinson in the transfer market.

My expectations for January are low - I think we will lose Nelson anyway, and the players we need will not be available (at a price we want to pay). But we will make low-ball offers on them anyway so that the 'we tried to buy players x, and z in January' excuse can be trotted out later on. Or am I just cynical?

I think everyone is being over-optimistic about the January window. I can’t see any half-decent striker wanting to join us (or their club releasing them) let alone Bazzer’s 20 goal man. Lower your expectations, guys!
I agree, but I’ve been saying needed a striker (s) for the last 3/4 seasons and for some unknown reason we’ve getting striker that basically aren’t strikers. But it goes to show that wee not much of an attraction if Payne turned us down and probably only offer a P**s poor contract financially which means no one of any ilk will want to come here.but I laugh at those on here saying we have the attacking midfielders that will score. I think people need to wake up and hope that Eric and the other billionaire are prepared to spend enough to get quality In at Oxford to achieve the clubs ambition of playing in the championship, and at this level it will be small change to bring in something as Peterborough have done.

Striking options then...

££££
Macauley Bonne - 23
15 goals this season with an xG of 13.56...the highest in the national league. First season he has been prolific, signed a 2 year deal in the summer

Jayden Stockley - 25
11 goals already this season following his 20 last season. Will be going for some serious money to the championship i suspect

Ollie Palmer - 26
9 goals from an xG of 10.42. Signed a two year deal in the summer after joing from Lincoln...represented by New Era....

James Norwood - 28
Prolific in the national league with Tranmere, has carried in to league 2 with 13 non penalty goals.

Out of Contract summer 2019
Kieran Agard - 29
Currently the best striker in league 2 with quality of chances...currently underperforming only scoring 8. Played league 1 previously - Robisnon signed him at MK

Chuks Aneke - 25
8 goals, too good for league 2. Signed a two year deal in 2017, so guess out of contract next summer. One of the top scorers and creators in the league.

Pretty slim pickings unless we are going to throw some money about.

The other options being loans....

Tyler Walker scoring plenty in league 2. Forest might fancy a loan move further up the pyramid in January.

Another option being Mallik Wilks. On loan at Doncaster from Leeds, performs well on the numbers and out of contract in the summer. Could use Roofe and Roberts as the example of a year/2 in league 1.

Now we have had at least two players training at the club of which Robinson was keen to sign. We have also been informed by Robinson that Hanson was not his signing. Now for me that raises some serious questions as to who is making decisions on which players the club signs, it certainly looks like it’s not Robinson. As for Nile Ranger, thank goodness the board made the decision not to offer this man a contract. I do feel that supporters expectations for quality signings in January need to be tempered back as we could be very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom