National News Next Prime Minister

There is a pot of money, around £26 billion, that has been held back for No Deal Brexit. Both the PM and wannabe's are trying to get their grubby mits on it to spend it.

Incoming PM ... whichever of tweedledumb and tweedledumber turns out to be imposed on the entire UK...should close loopholes and legislation so huge multi national companys pay their fair amount of tax into UK coffers

problem being some of these multi nationals 'are tory party donators, so neither potenial PM will do anything on that score!

There is a pot of money, around £26 billion, that has been held back for No Deal Brexit. Both the PM and wannabe's are trying to get their grubby mits on it to spend it.
As I said above, this is not a pile of cash ready to spend by anyone. It is what is still available for us as a country to borrow - and we will all have to pay it back, so I'd prefer it if it wasn't used for tax cuts for the rich or corporation tax reductions for mates of mates companies. In fact it might be quite a good idea have a bit of wriggle room just in case of a Non Deal and whatever costs that incurs?

Last edited:
Incoming PM ... whichever of tweedledumb and tweedledumber turns out to be imposed on the entire UK...should close loopholes and legislation so huge multi national companys pay their fair amount of tax into UK coffers

As I said above, this is not a pile of cash ready to spend by anyone. It is what is still available for us as a country to borrow - and we will all have to pay it back, so I'd prefer it if it wasn't used for tax cuts for the rich or corporation tax reductions for mates of mates companies. In fact it might be quite a good idea have a bit of wriggle room just in case of a Non Deal and whatever costs that incurs?

You can almost guarantee that if we end up with a No Deal Brexit, then Corporation Tax will be slashed and loopholes will be left very much open.

The government will be so desperate to keep companies from fleeing the country, once access to the single market tariff-free is gone, that they'll almost have to turn Britain into a low tax economy to maintain competitiveness.

Which regardless of where it came from, it's being spent by whoever can get their hands on it first.

Personally, I agree with the fiscal prudence until Brexit and 31st October resolves itself. It's not a legacy or new PM slush fund.

Breaking news .... Islamaphobic Racist torys are being allowed to vote for the UK's next PM .... thousands of cases have come to light, many on social media, but any 'investigations' , which are required to be held before suspension or expulsion, seem very unlikely to be held before the tory party leader (and UK PM) election by tory party members- including those accused of Islamaphopia & racism- , as central office torys , those who would be tasked with investiating, are all 'busy' with their forthcoming election! :oops:

Tallyho

Not really a surprise sadly. The Tories do seem determined to bring it back.

Although the question is why now as it is hardly an important issue currently considering all the other issues going on (education, health etc etc)?

Last edited:
Seems a bit stupid to go there, but I suppose we live in a fluid democracy and not a dictatorship, so they are entitled to raise if they see fit. I don't see much desire to reverse the ban,

Seems a bit stupid to go there, but I suppose we live in a fluid democracy and not a dictatorship, so they are entitled to raise if they see fit. I don't see much desire to reverse the ban,
biggest area where there is a 'desire' to reverse the fox hunting ban is within the tory party membership....both leadership candidates seem to be favouring a fox hunt ban reversal, they both also keep banging on about the will of the people (re brexit) , yet seem to not give a flying one regarding the will of the people when it comes to fox hunting ... how strange?

He really can just f*** right off. Are there no depths to which this idiot will not sink to climb the greasy pole?
biggest area where there is a 'desire' to reverse the fox hunting ban is within the tory party membership....both leadership candidates seem to be favouring a fox hunt ban reversal, they both also keep banging on about the will of the people (re brexit) , yet seem to not give a flying one regarding the will of the people when it comes to fox hunting ... how strange?
Interesting that Boris Johnson seems to be getting the blame for wanting to bring back fox hunting even though only Jeremy Hunt has spoken about it

Johnson has a record of being pro-hunting:

Mr Johnson voted against the ban back in 2004 but Mr Hunt was not an MP at this time (he was elected in 2005).
During his time as Mayor of London Mr Johnson also suggested introducing fox hunting in London – where the animals are common.
“This will cause massive unpopularity and I don’t care. I’m pro liberty and individual freedom. If people want to get together to form the fox hounds of Islington I’m all for it,” he said.

(https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/f...-hunt-boris-johnson-tory-leadership-election/)

But actually you are right - Johnson hasn't said anything about it in this election, I should have read the link properly before posting.

It's some of the Tory party, not all - I'm sure the young metropolitan members are WTF is this about. The cynic in me suspects it was raised to say, look, we've moved on, to those who want it changed.

There is a difference between a referendum and a political parliamentary vote, but let's leave that there eh?

Sir John Major was on the Today program this morning. He was articulate, reasoned, clear, concise and selfless and was in every respect the polar opposite of the man who'll be our next Prime Minister.

Made a change to listen to a man of decency.
I've just said the same on the Brexit thread - a completely different approach, more concerned about the country than party. Something really important in these divided times.

I've just said the same on the Brexit thread - a completely different approach, more concerned about the country than party. Something really important in these divided times.

In the same way Rory Stewart was talking........................... before the parliamentary representatives nobbled him. :rolleyes: :(

how about sorting out those13 frigates and a billion-pound infrastructure spend for the Clyde docks promise first ?
The one made By Hunt in 2014, five years ago.
And haven't delivered on.

Back
Top Bottom