National News Next Prime Minister

Agreed. Labour have been a spectacular failure as an opposition - like the Tories they have fallen into the trap of arguing among themselves: focussing on what divides them rather than what they agree on!

out of Oxfordshire tory MPs , only one, Cameron's replacement in Witney & west Oxon, has declared support for either of the two candidates.... Court initially backed Raab, now he has declared his support for his predecessors fellow Bullingdon club member Johnson .... OM report .....

It seems Hunt and Johnson's venn diagram on Brexit is a lot nearer now than anyone thought it would be.

Just listening to Jeremy Hunt setting out his '10 point plan' for Brexit, including a guarantee to leave with no deal if the EU won't play ball, helping our farming and fishing from a war chest.

Well. at least he has a plan and has put it forward clearly. Over to Boris. Will he be equally coherent?

I don't think it will make a difference if Johnson does or doesn't as he will win. Hunt will still be seen as a remainer by enough of the Brexiteers in the Tory membership.

At least the article above suggests Johnson (or the unlikely event Hunt wins) is unlikely to be able to prorogue Parliament as easily as Raab seemed to think it was if he didn't get his way.

food for thought? ... both candidates for PM keep banging on about 'respecting the will of the people' ( re brexit)
does that mean if they encountered someone on a high bridge looking to commit suicide, would Johnson and Hunt do the decent thing and attempt to talk said person out of commiting suicide?... or would both of them walk by and do nothing, as commiting suicide was, after all, the will of said person and they both respect that by not intervening ?

Just listening to Jeremy Hunt setting out his '10 point plan' for Brexit, including a guarantee to leave with no deal if the EU won't play ball, helping our farming and fishing from a war chest.

Well. at least he has a plan and has put it forward clearly. Over to Boris. Will he be equally coherent?

Alternatively, we could revoke article 50 and use that money on much-needed services. Just a thought.

Listening to the radio a moment earlier...

This 'war chest' seems to be the amount the government has left in it's allowable overdraft (to put it in terms I can understand!). This is being left unborrowed in case we need it - the current chancellor is a 'prudent' type. The problem is that leaving without a deal means that (at least in the eyes of the lenders) the country is likely to incur more cost and be less profitable. (As admitted by Rees-Mogg etc). Therefore a non-deal Brexit would mean two things. Firstly the unborrowed contingency would need to be borrowed to cover extra short term (at a minimum) costs AND the lenders are likely to reduce the amount the country is allowed to borrow, at least until they know how we will cope. So the 'war chest' available for unicorn-buying is going to be much reduced, and potentially non-existent.

Maybot is trying to get her hands on that war chest for her legacy, so clearly a lot of hands are ready to get on that pie. It's worth pointing out that the spending commitments won't be day one changes, so the impact is more mixed.

However, they still need to look at social care and how the hell to fund it. Maybot got burnt by it a couple of years back, but something needs to occur.

Use the money that has already been spent on "No Deal Planning" then? I take it you are a Labour voter? Spend it twice...its not "ours" ? (y) :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you mean. I was referring to the £6bn Hunt is talking about to pay tariffs for agriculture and fishing. The implication is pretty clear that it's not money that has already been spent. And now we have Johnson conjuring up £26bn. My point is that we've had years of the Tories saying there is no money, now these two are finding it so that they can bribe Conservative members to vote for them. It strikes me as odd.

As to your last point, I don't get that at all. I know full well all government money is ours and nothing is free. I just want my taxes spent on making the country a better place to live, not on completely unnecessary 'war chests' to mitigate the effects of a monumental act of national self-harm, reducing corporation tax to stupidly low levels or on bribes to parties like the DUP. I think that's reasonable.

And I'm not a Labour voter. :)

Back
Top Bottom