National News Next Prime Minister

Ponderous yes but a pretty hefty intellect behind it. As he said in the LK interview he`s a "centre-right" ... as are most of the party.
Hunt is too far to being centre left...
And for some, a resurrection of the Maybot and no further forward. For good or bad, they want change and a "Brexiteer" in charge.

Bojo is becoming even more of a conference level Trump .... the pic of him n his gf 'released' to the press, apparently making up after their late night spat is being questioned ....his hair in the pic is very different to how it is now .... yep, an attempt, a very bad attempt too, at creating his own fake news? :unsure:

I too would like to challenge the perception that Johnson is some kind of intellectual. Being able to quote bits of Latin doesn't make you intelligent, it just shows that you parents had enough money to pay for a private education. Does anyone really think that if this bloke had been born into a 'normal' family and gone to his local comprehensive he would have risen to the top on sheer ability?

I too would like to challenge the perception that Johnson is some kind of intellectual. Being able to quote bits of Latin doesn't make you intelligent, it just shows that you parents had enough money to pay for a private education. Does anyone really think that if this bloke had been born into a 'normal' family and gone to his local comprehensive he would have risen to the top on sheer ability?
if he'd gone to the same school as me, he'd've probably been bullied every day ,.... and twice on Fridays.... for an offensive haircut, if nothing else :oops:

I'd have to challenge that! I don't see much evidence of a hefty intellect. He's educated, certainly, but surely someone of intellect would be better at managing his public persona? Intellectually, he scores own goal after own goal. He'll win though.
He cannot be that stupid as he ran the Spectator magazine for 8 years, increasing circulation in a tough industry. More real world experience than a lot of MPs, I guess. It doesn't make him or perfect, and is PR strategy is absolutely chaotic.

It's clear he is listening to advice as he's been too quiet for "Boris"

More real world experience than a lot of MPs, I guess.

Hmmmmm…...Eton, Oxford, the Telegraph, the Spectator, MP and Mayor of London.

Some people might suggest he's had zero 'real world' experience...…..

Hmmmmm…...Eton, Oxford, the Telegraph, the Spectator, MP and Mayor of London.

Some people might suggest he's had zero 'real world' experience...…..
8 years in a publishing house and leading it, is a better real world experience than some politicians have had, David Cameron springs to mind, who have been professional politicians all their lives. It's not living in a bed sit on benefits or working nights to make ends meet, but he will have done more than just be a politician. Other MPs come to mind, but I'll leave the discussions there.

Jeremy Hunt also has real world experience with his businesses and whatnot.

I’m not an expert on these things, but according to Wikipedia David Cameron left politics in 94 and worked for a media company until getting back into politics in 2001. Is boris’s career actually any different in terms of “real world”?

8 years in a publishing house and leading it, is a better real world experience than some politicians have had, David Cameron springs to mind, who have been professional politicians all their lives. It's not living in a bed sit on benefits or working nights to make ends meet, but he will have done more than just be a politician. Other MPs come to mind, but I'll leave the discussions there.

Jeremy Hunt also has real world experience with his businesses and whatnot.

No argument about Hunt - he was an entrepreneur for a good 15 years; took some licks but ended up building a successful business to a good exit. Genuine real world experience.

I'm just questioning whether a publishing house really provides real world experience. Seems to me - particularly at the places BoJo has worked - that it's really just another slightly bizarre, over-privileged bubble; a bit like Oxford University.

No argument about Hunt - he was an entrepreneur for a good 15 years; took some licks but ended up building a successful business to a good exit. Genuine real world experience.

I'm just questioning whether a publishing house really provides real world experience. Seems to me - particularly at the places BoJo has worked - that it's really just another slightly bizarre, over-privileged bubble; a bit like Oxford University.
It's more real than George Osborne (not Cameron, dammit), Corbyn (Trade Unionist) or Rory Stewart, for example, whose real world life experience totals about 4 months.

Granted, Stewart has more wordly experience, but it's not the sort of crap most of us have to deal with in our day to day lives. In comparison, Boris' experience is positively brimming with relevance. He worked at the Wolverhampton Express & Star - you can't get more real world than Wolverhampton can you? Not sure his vocab would have gone down well there. ?

There was a decent piece in the Independent (I think) which said that Johnson's education, lifestyle and character was probably ideal for a journalist, but not so much for a politician. I'll see if I can find a link.

Back
Top Bottom