New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

The one thing I’ve found about Mr Hill is that he is an ultracrepidarian.

I would take his claim about FOSB’s finances with a pinch of salt. He knows nothing about anything so why believe him on this?

(I wouldn’t regard them as having untold riches but even they could stretch to 10p a go at some leaflets. KDW’s contributions could pay for that!)
Cool - learned a new word. It was less rude than I expected.

I would be an ultracrepidarian if I commented on cricket.
But I don't so I'm not.

Nice word to learn though.

Fosb do not have the money to proceed with a legal challenge as proven by Steve hill they have lost many supporters from there failed attempt at getting public money in the form of a grant they have had to change tactics that doesn't cost them money this issue of the road closures is cheap for them View attachment 18051
I had seen that quite from the grand an hour man, in the ought tbh he was being very sarcastic and if he is as knowledgeable about these matters he would know it would be a waste of their money to challenge OUFC’s plan

Yes question them but it's not our money and if we don't like it what are we going to do
So Wallop if the financial plan isn't to your liking have you millions to help ?
We have got to run with it because if they walk away we are gone
Of course I don’t have the money but we have to understand and where appropriate challenge the financial plan if it brings risk on the club.

Steve Hill -

"It is quite simply not going to happen. The county council will not grant a lease."

If he is so confident of that, why does FoSB even exist?

Steve Hill -

"It is quite simply not going to happen. The county council will not grant a lease."

If he is so confident of that, why does FoSB even exist?
Him along with the Oxford mail know absolutely nothing to be fair we only know what Oufc released in October since then we had 10 days of consultation with the public.
Oufc along with ridge and everybody else involved would of gone through all of the feedback they would of listened to what the public have said they would of listened to what occ have said.
What counts now is what's in that planning application that's what we have to stick too everything else before means pretty much nothing apart from the actual design of the stadium itself

Of course I don’t have the money but we have to understand and where appropriate challenge the financial plan if it brings risk on the club.
So you challenge their plans because you don't like them , they say sod this and walk away what have you achieved
Explain. I'm not getting at you but would just like to know what the alternative is. Don't think there is one.

So you challenge their plans because you don't like them , they say sod this and walk away what have you achieved
Explain. I'm not getting at you but would just like to know what the alternative is. Don't think there is one.

Would it not have been better had Kassam had more questions asked of him 25 years ago? Rather than the saviour of the club nonsense?

Do very rich people walk away from multi million pound investments because they get asked questions?

Last edited:
And they would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids.......

I agree with you that there isn’t a viable alternative but by seeking clarity on the financial plans and company structure(s), an assessment of how beneficial this will be for the club can be made. If it turns out to be sub-optimal, Oxvox can then put pressure on the Board regarding the negative aspects and this could be fed in to other bodies as necessary such as CDC who can then seek conditions to improve the situation.

If by asking questions and understanding the future financial implications on the club, just one small change is made that benefits the club financially and it’s very existence, then those questions are well worth the time and effort.

@Colin B will know more about the financial structure that was in place, but from my understanding it was all looking fairly sound with the club protected at every stage. If this remains, the the club will dispel a lot of concerns by sharing this information with the wider fanbase. If things have changed, then we need to know what has changed and how this impacts of the football clubs ability to be sustainable in the future.

My limited knowledge was that the owners would part fund the stadium project and the rest would come from international markets. Nothing particularly worrying about this in itself, and consistent with many projects of this scale.

The risk in any such investment would sit with the owners and not the club. Therefore if we had another covid and the global economy crashed, the owners would absorb any losses associated with the investment deal, and the club would continue as before.

The club would pay a peppercorn rent and would be able to use all matchday income to help finance the club into challenging for, and maintaining mid table championship football. The hope is that alongside the player trading model we have seen and investing into our own youth systems, this would eventually allow us to be sustainable at that level. The hotel and other associated businesses on the site would be used to cover the borrowing and eventually to pay off the investment.

The club would be protected at every step with legally binding contracts that would forever keep us connected to the stadium without unaffordable rent increases.

I am hugely out of my depth when talking about international finance markets and commercial law, but the feeling was that this was all win win for the club for years to come.

So, what's changed? It's hard to know as we've not really been told. But if the project costs have increased significantly, and/or the owners are reducing their own personal investment, then the level of investment from the markets would have also increased significantly. This will mean that the option to service this debt from the hotel and other businesses will be impossible, and the club could become liable for some of this debt. We've always known that we're not a charity and international billionaires are just going to gift us a stadium. But liability for only £1m a year of debt payments could have a huge impact on our ability to have a competitive playing budget, or could see ticket prices increased beyond the affordability of the average fan.

That is why questions have to be asked. And they are almost as simple as how much will the stadium project cost, how will this be financed, and will the club be liable for any of this debt.

It's quote common for an operational/trading company to have their trading premises owned by a property company so if expect that to be the case going forward here and that's fine.

But, for us fans to accept that structure after years of being milked by Kassam the two companies need to be inextricably linked with common directors and personal guarantees so if they fleece OUFC via the prop co the common directors personally feel the pain.

Back
Top Bottom