New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Planning

Can we please start talking about Ian Middleton again - sick to death of this Steve Hill chap
I am too - though Tackley Steve does have some comedic value of sorts, with his often ridiculous tirades

Sadly the Steve Hill outing Middleton was back in the early days of being on Nextdoor. It's long gone now.

I find the whole thing laughable now, Middleton is obsessed where people are from and love yet his number one fan isn't even local.

Sadly the Steve Hill outing Middleton was back in the early days of being on Nextdoor. It's long gone now.

I find the whole thing laughable now, Middleton is obsessed where people are from and love yet his number one fan isn't even local.
isnt that Trev Campbell ? ( in Poole?)

That's Ian Middleton, originally from Kent, yes?

As for Steve, during our conversation today he went from "I wish OUFC well" to "I honestly don't care if OUFC die" in between a load of waffle about OUFC staying at the Kassam stadium beyond 2026 despite being told that cannot happen.

His new tactic is to suggest we don't have any ambition playing at the triangle, as it'll be too small for "Premiership football" (his words)

Anyway that'll be the last Steve Hill update. He certainly is an "interesting" character.

Just found this old article from May 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oxford_utd/1309232.stm

"The 12,500-capacity stadium at Minchery Farm may not be big by today's standards, but fans can now look forward to watching their team in modern comfort.
And with a hotel, multiplex cinema and ten-pin bowling also due for completion in the near future, money should no longer be an issue.
Division Three will also be a new challenge for the Us, but it will be tough for their long-suffering supporters.
And as the club moves into the 21st century, the fans will be hoping that a change of home will be accompanied by a change in fortunes."

How wrong everyone was.
Can't wait to finally watch my team in a proper stadium.

Just found this old article from May 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oxford_utd/1309232.stm

"The 12,500-capacity stadium at Minchery Farm may not be big by today's standards, but fans can now look forward to watching their team in modern comfort.
And with a hotel, multiplex cinema and ten-pin bowling also due for completion in the near future, money should no longer be an issue.
Division Three will also be a new challenge for the Us, but it will be tough for their long-suffering supporters.
And as the club moves into the 21st century, the fans will be hoping that a change of home will be accompanied by a change in fortunes."

How wrong everyone was.
Can't wait to finally watch my team in a proper stadium.
The Milk Cup final score is wrong too in that article

We do need to counter misinformation campaigns, wouldn't want Cherwell residents believing what the opposition are saying and using that to oppose the stadium.

Any links to where currently active?

Is it the supporters job to relentlessly give these people oxygen, though?

I’d have thought that any objections the residents of Cherwell have, will be heard during the planning consultation period and the football club and our advisors will be best placed to discredit any mis-truths or scaremongering.

Just my opinion, of course.

To be fair, the Kasstad may be a breeze block in a wind tunnel.......but it's still more comfortable than the Manor!

There's a million reasons why I loved the Manor, and miss it still, but comfort is not one of them - regardless of where you were sat or stood.

To be fair, the Kasstad may be a breeze block in a wind tunnel.......but it's still more comfortable than the Manor!

There's a million reasons why I loved the Manor, and miss it still, but comfort is not one of them - regardless of where you were sat or stood.
How dare you, sir !!!!!!!!!
I would rather sit on the wall at the London Road than any of the seats at Grenoble Road
Let’s call it what it is an absolute s**t hole

I would rather sit on the wall at the London Road than any of the seats at Grenoble Road

So would I.

But was there anywhere in the Manor that was genuinely physically comfortable? That - if forced to sit/stand there all day - wouldn't leave you in serious pain?

We were all just too drunk on the atmosphere and/or character of the place and/or actually drunk to care!

So would I.

But was there anywhere in the Manor that was genuinely physically comfortable? That - if forced to sit/stand there all day - wouldn't leave you in serious pain?

We were all just too drunk on the atmosphere and/or character of the place and/or actually drunk to care!

The other day I found myself missing the walk to the London Road bogs when you were desperate for a P**s, the toilets themselves and most bizarrely the chips they used to sell drowning in salt and vinegar and the bookies that would take your bet at 12 years old, not certain these things were that enjoyable at the time, well the bookies was but the rest wouldn’t pass muster today. So some of the memories are sepia tinged nostalgia.

But when it was good there It was very good, would give pretty much anything for one last big night game under the lights there, the tension and excitement just seemed something else.

It's true that when it's good it's very, very good - I will go to my grave singing "Just like your fingers, that's six in a row".....

The other day I found myself missing the walk to the London Road bogs when you were desperate for a P**s, the toilets themselves and most bizarrely the chips they used to sell drowning in salt and vinegar and the bookies that would take your bet at 12 years old, not certain these things were that enjoyable at the time, well the bookies was but the rest wouldn’t pass muster today. So some of the memories are sepia tinged nostalgia.

But when it was good there It was very good, would give pretty much anything for one last big night game under the lights there, the tension and excitement just seemed something else.

I feel this.

It's very hard to understand in 2023, but aside from the (expected) body odor and stale beer stench, I also reflect nostaligically on the combination of farts and weed that was the London Road - neither fully masking the other (some people had genuinely horrific flatulence - and the weed was constant).

And, back then, I loved it.

But I probably wouldn't go in the London Road now given the choice (admittedly I haven't been in the East Stand since 2010 - that's about age and changing status as much as anything).

Society has moved on. All our fans have too. We're all nostalgic, but I reckon virtually no-one wants the London Road or The Manor per se. They want specific memories, specific games, specific friends.

They want the atmosphere.

The exciting thing about The Triangle is that we have the potential to have a stadium that can at least try and capture all of that, but for the 21st Century.

It'll never, ever, be The Manor.
But we must make it as close as f**king possible.

I used to love the smell of the ground when I used to go with my dad which was a unique smell that you only got at the manor, generally it was stale fags, beer and P**s but it was homely!
I’d love to still be there but realistically we would never be able to progress like we have if we still did have the manor.
I will always feel lucky to have experienced it and seen some great games there but I’m excited to see us get a new ground which is more suitable for the modern day football. My only regret is that we aren’t getting a new stadium where the Ice Rink is.

I used to love the smell of the ground when I used to go with my dad which was a unique smell that you only got at the manor, generally it was stale fags, beer and P**s but it was homely!
I’d love to still be there but realistically we would never be able to progress like we have if we still did have the manor.
I will always feel lucky to have experienced it and seen some great games there but I’m excited to see us get a new ground which is more suitable for the modern day football. My only regret is that we aren’t getting a new stadium where the Ice Rink is.

I dunno, we were in the third tier in our last season at the Manor and we are in the third tier now, I suppose Kassams journey was a return flight.

The smell of fags, bloke used to stand behind me in the London Road smoking a cigar all through the match, every one else could be going mental but that cigar would be in his mouth, like a Barton Clint Eastwood. You never see them much anymore, seems ancient history that someone would just stand on a terrace with one.

I feel this.

It's very hard to understand in 2023, but aside from the (expected) body odor and stale beer stench, I also reflect nostaligically on the combination of farts and weed that was the London Road - neither fully masking the other (some people had genuinely horrific flatulence - and the weed was constant).

And, back then, I loved it.

But I probably wouldn't go in the London Road now given the choice (admittedly I haven't been in the East Stand since 2010 - that's about age and changing status as much as anything).

Society has moved on. All our fans have too. We're all nostalgic, but I reckon virtually no-one wants the London Road or The Manor per se. They want specific memories, specific games, specific friends.

They want the atmosphere.

The exciting thing about The Triangle is that we have the potential to have a stadium that can at least try and capture all of that, but for the 21st Century.

It'll never, ever, be The Manor.
But we must make it as close as f**king possible.

Mostly I think the Manor had a more communal vibe than the Kassam, felt like home whereas the Kassam has always struggled with that. Take my step daughter to a game or two a year even though she hates football, she thinks it’s the coldest place on earth and she may well be right, it’s so open and austere, in the east stand you almost don’t feel like you are in the same stadium as the other two stands.

Back
Top Bottom