General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
well put post @LowerSouth

its very true that residents are wary of change, anywhere

Im guessing that there was serious opposition in the Kidlington to Oxford Parkway before it was built.
I do wonder how many who opposed it out of principle before it was built are still opposed to it? I d think relatively few, as most will have used the train station and or the park and ride, or for that matter the covid testing station when it was there, since it has opened

If the stadium on the triangle gets the go ahead Sept 19th, the club, when they start to release formal plans etc, should include as much as they can in the way of facilities that residents can use. The more that benefits the locals directly the more the opposition will fade away, leaving a very small group of North Oxford based millionaires, a handful of green part infiltrators along with KPC chair ,and several anti progress individuals all looking the miserable nimbys they always have been
Most of those against would happily accept houses on the triangle which goes against Thier argument of its green belt

For context.
Most people are “nimbys”.
I live in a “true” village - Bampton.
We have had almost 400 new houses,200 in 16/19,200 in 21/23-creating two new estates.
Most villagers objected to the scale of these developments.
Needless to say we ( and Wodc)were powerless to stop the building.
This has been replicated throughout the county.
South Oxfordshire has the largest number of new houses in the UK.
People feel powerless to stop any development.
Homeowners in Kidlington are no different and are increasingly being encircled by numerous housing projects.
The stadium is seen by some as maybe, there only opportunity to stick 2 fingers at the authorities and maybe, stop a development .
It’s unfortunate that it’s for OUFC.

This is a very fair point. Even if misguided by locals, there doesn't feel like there is any power to the individual to stop rows and rows of identikit, drab newbuilds going up and up. Farmers don't earn much from agriculture anymore but they can sell a few fields off for a seven or eight-figure sum and Redrow, Bellway, Dandara etc are always there to stick new houses there.

Funnily enough, I moved from a 'village' with that being one of the reasons for leaving. It wasn't the new houses and influx of residents that was the issue, it's that the authorities made no provision to the village for everything else you'd expect from adding a minimum of 600 new people to the area. No thought to NHS services, no extra school considered, no nursery facilities (our neighbours there had a 20-minute out-of-the-way drive to take their infant to nursery), no thought to excess cars on the roads, n

Here's the thing - aside from traffic which is limited to certain timeslots, a stadium actually doesn't put pressure on health, education or other council services. Attendees will turn up and disappear again in a few hours, spending money along the way. They go home and make use of the services close to them. It adds no societal burden to the area.

I would have welcomed a stadium over 300 more houses, that's for certain.

Unbelievable really isn’t it. A precious piece of green belt they want protecting, but would happily see a few hundred houses go up. It’s either precious land or it isn’t.

Doesn’t matter anyway the stadium is getting the go ahead.
Very positive Leysboy!?

Quite a few on nextdoor have said if we got to build something I'd rather it be houses
Kinda ironic that some FoSB supporters continue to refer to football supporters as hooligans, yobs, and trouble makers who they don't want visiting their 'village', while other FoSb supporters prefer social housing ( to a stadium) being built- which would err, open the door to some of the type of persons that their fellow FoSB bods erroneously perceive as football supporters and don't want (on matchdays) in the village, actually moving in permanently with all they'd bring to the village 24/7 in Kidlington

nowt as strange as folk

Unbelievable really isn’t it. A precious piece of green belt they want protecting, but would happily see a few hundred houses go up. It’s either precious land or it isn’t.

Doesn’t matter anyway the stadium is getting the go ahead.
I wish I shared your confidence the 19th I'm fairly sure we will progress but planning is a different can of worms

This continual talk about “show us the plans” makes me wonder - without an OUFC development, what are KPC “plans” to manage and maintain (or dare I say update) the facilities at Stratfield Break, which by all accounts are currently woeful, while taking up a large portion of their budget? In my dream world, we get past the OCC meeting, and then when the club do get to release plans, they release a version of “look what you could’ve won” alongside the Triangle plans to make it clear the extent to which Kidlington residents have been screwed over in this process and those responsible, including elected officials, have to explain to constituents their actions.

This continual talk about “show us the plans” makes me wonder - without an OUFC development, what are KPC “plans” to manage and maintain (or dare I say update) the facilities at Stratfield Break, which by all accounts are currently woeful, while taking up a large portion of their budget? In my dream world, we get past the OCC meeting, and then when the club do get to release plans, they release a version of “look what you could’ve won” alongside the Triangle plans to make it clear the extent to which Kidlington residents have been screwed over in this process and those responsible, including elected officials, have to explain to constituents their actions.

Stratfield Brake is gone, no point wondering on it anymore, no chance of anything ever happening there with KPC essentially being a pressure group masquerading as a parish council.

It means that no money will ever be spent on it beyond what the club give out to upgrade facilities (the club should ask for receipts and proof that the money has actually been used on improvements, not disappeared) as that parish council cares for nothing but stopping developments.

Stratfield Brake is gone, no point wondering on it anymore, no chance of anything ever happening there with KPC essentially being a pressure group masquerading as a parish council.

It means that no money will ever be spent on it beyond what the club give out to upgrade facilities (the club should ask for receipts and proof that the money has actually been used on improvements, not disappeared) as that parish council cares for nothing but stopping developments.
100% this

I doubt very much that the club would want to appear petty, but when the locals see how well the "contaminated land" has been improved for the benefit of all they might just start to think: "bloody hell, what if they'd done all this good stuff for Stratfield Brake".

And if they don't think that all by their little selves, I have no doubt that there'll be some of our fans around who'll help to remind them.

Nailed on within 10 years SB will be sold to developers

This is a very fair point. Even if misguided by locals, there doesn't feel like there is any power to the individual to stop rows and rows of identikit, drab newbuilds going up and up. Farmers don't earn much from agriculture anymore but they can sell a few fields off for a seven or eight-figure sum and Redrow, Bellway, Dandara etc are always there to stick new houses there.

Funnily enough, I moved from a 'village' with that being one of the reasons for leaving. It wasn't the new houses and influx of residents that was the issue, it's that the authorities made no provision to the village for everything else you'd expect from adding a minimum of 600 new people to the area. No thought to NHS services, no extra school considered, no nursery facilities (our neighbours there had a 20-minute out-of-the-way drive to take their infant to nursery), no thought to excess cars on the roads, n

Here's the thing - aside from traffic which is limited to certain timeslots, a stadium actually doesn't put pressure on health, education or other council services. Attendees will turn up and disappear again in a few hours, spending money along the way. They go home and make use of the services close to them. It adds no societal burden to the area.

I would have welcomed a stadium over 300 more houses, that's for certain.

Its better to campaign for extra facilities being built alongside new housing than campaign against the construction of them

We need more housing, other people deserve a place to live just as much as you or I and when we get on the ladder we don't have the right to pull it up after ourselves (to lets be honest further profit from a falsely inflated housing market), we don't when we buy a property have a right to stop anything being built within two square miles, that doesn't come with the deeds to your house.

Getting in bed with nimbys is the wrong way to go about this, far better to put pressure onto make the best of new developments than to just try and stop an inevitable progress. Oxfordshire has loads of room to build on and solve its (self made) housing crisis without wrecking the local environment.

You already have development going ahead at the bottom of SB where the stadium would of been near so that's bound sure to increase its only a matter of time and you can bet fosb will hardly say a word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom