General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea that you can build an 18,000 seater stadium and surrounding facilities on a green space and think it will be ecologically improved is deluded to the max.

That clearly depends on how ecologically diverse the existing green space is, and what is done to improve this.

But it looks like you're looking for an argument so I'll leave you to it.

I am absolutely sure biodiversity will be "promoted" on site, and the club will do what it can to mitigate damage as much as possible. But there's no a hope in hell that the new site will be preferable from an environmental perspective to the current space.

I don't think it can't be. But it will require planning, diligent management and time. If we look at 5 years I don't think it will be.

However, the benefits in terms of social health and welfare, plus ecological integration in a new Oxford can be significant.

Too often the social aspect of Green politics is ignored by people purporting to be green.

Power to the people!

That clearly depends on how ecologically diverse the existing green space is, and what is done to improve this.

But it looks like you're looking for an argument so I'll leave you to it.
Not really, just mirroring your flippant "naive in the extreme" comment.

Paul C didn't really make your point, he said that a lot of thought needs to be put into it, and that any benefits may be long term, if they happen. That's not what you said, which came across as an absolute negative on this. I was more wondering how you had arrived at your conclusion. Can a "green roof" really aid the aims, do we have information from similar schemes to draw upon?

There are obvious challenges, and I look forward to the club expanding on this should planning be granted. I think you are right to take a sceptical stance (or even a "cautiously neutral" one), but do we have enough information to decide either positively or negatively at this point?
Well I'm old enough to have seen many corporate landscaping and infrastructure schemes come and go. They tend to fall short of their targets, contain massive mistakes (wrong trees in wrong places, lack of feasible long term management plan, etc. etc.) and time and time again, ecological requirements are really just a planning inconvenience paid lip service but without any real commitment.

I've been very positive and supportive of the stadium across the various questionnaires etc. I think the stadium is the right scheme for the right location. But above any sports, sits the environment and the club need to be held accountable by us, and all Oxfordshire residents, if they don't get this right.

It's not enough to just accept the club's planning-stage statements and blindly believe a green roof will undo the damage caused by the development.

They need to actually make a positive difference here. Scepticism is the only way to get them to do it.

With the planned green space at the point of the triangle Kidlington will have more publicly accessible green space than now and the green barrier will be retained along with Stratfield Brake.

At the rate the planet is heating up, we need to build fast. I want to see us in the new stadium before humans are extinct. The actual big picture is not about chopping down a few willows, they can regrow where ever they want when we're gone.

Well I'm old enough to have seen many corporate landscaping and infrastructure schemes come and go. They tend to fall short of their targets, contain massive mistakes (wrong trees in wrong places, lack of feasible long term management plan, etc. etc.) and time and time again, ecological requirements are really just a planning inconvenience paid lip service but without any real commitment.

I've been very positive and supportive of the stadium across the various questionnaires etc. I think the stadium is the right scheme for the right location. But above any sports, sits the environment and the club need to be held accountable by us, and all Oxfordshire residents, if they don't get this right.

It's not enough to just accept the club's planning-stage statements and blindly believe a green roof will undo the damage caused by the development.

They need to actually make a positive difference here. Scepticism is the only way to get them to do it.

You were saying that improvements can't be made, but not saying that they can but most don't either due to costs, laziness or ignorance.

I'll be the first to say that the club shouldn't get a free ride on this, and was saying the same even before SB was announced. The environment is hugely important, and I want our stadium to be to most ecologically friendly stadium in the country, or at least damn close to being the very best. I want to legacy for my kids and beyond, and I want something that everyone can be proud of.

So I'm far from blindly accepting anything and everything about this development, but equally I do believe in the clubs intent, and that is supported by some of those that they have brought in and are already working on planning. So I don't believe that out and out scepticism is the only way that you encourage a positive response even if our desired outcomes are not that far apart.

Probably see your comments soon on FoSB website

I agree that OCC need to hold OUFC and CDC accountable for the best possible environmental outcomes. I want a stadium that is hitting those targets out of the park as soon as possible.
Unlike FOSB I want them to actually do it. It will be world-leading, just ensure it happens.

Anyone know when the first images of the new stadium design will be released to the public? I had September in my head in line with the OCC decision on 19th.

Anyone know when the first images of the new stadium design will be released to the public? I had September in my head in line with the OCC decision on 19th.
If we get the green light on 19 September, it won’t be too long after that.

Get emails into Cabinet to help secure that positive decision to lease/sell the land and we’ll then get to see the latest version of the plans.

If we get the green light on 19 September, it won’t be too long after that.

Get emails into Cabinet to help secure that positive decision to lease/sell the land and we’ll then get to see the latest version of the plans.

A little teaser may prompt a few more fans to email in if they can visualise what's possible...

I agree that OCC need to hold OUFC and CDC accountable for the best possible environmental outcomes. I want a stadium that is hitting those targets out of the park as soon as possible.
I think there are a lot of us who feel the same way, we've been putting up with the sub-standard Kassam Stadium all this time and are invested in getting a top-class facility for the club and community. The club owners will be held to account for these targets.

A little teaser may prompt a few more fans to email in if they can visualise what's possible...
It’s possible that there will some small details included in the regular updates, but I suspect the club won’t want to reveal particularly significant information or imagery until after a decision is taken.

There has been enough delay already and we’ve provided all of the information required - any significant new news at this stage only risks a call for more unnecessary public engagement.

We just need a decision now; and we all need to help influence that by personally writing, and encouraging others to write, to Cabinet members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom