General New Stadium Plans - The Triangle - Land Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is really basic stuff isn't it. Hopefully the club are watching and taking steps to remedy the situation. Although I will say that the problem with the 'recall' email is most likely because that is how the original mail was set up, so not really 2 errors, just a compounding of the first error.

* cringe *

Seriously though, it's pretty amateur of them. Whilst most of us probably won't care, a data breach of that nature could cost other companies thousands.

Get your s**t together, OUFC.

Could be problematic if there are FOSB members on that list...

Being a nosey sod, I took the time to go through all of the emails addresses that the message had so kindly presented to me.

There was one for a Steven Hill, so that might be Tacky Steve from Nextdoor? No others stood out to me, but he club were aware that some of the opposition were listening in to the first Zoom Meeting.

Being a nosey sod, I took the time to go through all of the emails addresses that the message had so kindly presented to me.

There was one for a Steven Hill, so that might be Tacky Steve from Nextdoor? No others stood out to me, but he club were aware that some of the opposition were listening in to the first Zoom Meeting.

I googled that Steven Hill using his email address as a clue to where he works and it's a different Steven Hill who is a familiar face at the football.

But the fact I was able to do that very simply is evidence of what a monumental balls up this is.

I googled that Steven Hill using his email address as a clue to where he works and it's a different Steven Hill who is a familiar face at the football.

But the fact I was able to do that very simply is evidence of what a monumental balls up this is.
Hopefully, no harm will come from it or he could sue the club.

I imagine this has happened because this mailing list is being managed independently of the club's usual mailing list. That's often how these things happen in my experience but proves that the club needs to have better processes in place when dealing with personal data.

Hopefully, no harm will come from it or he could sue the club.

I imagine this has happened because this mailing list is being managed independently of the club's usual mailing list. That's often how these things happen in my experience but proves that the club needs to have better processes in place when dealing with personal data.
I think this is being handled by the consultants that the club are employing, not actual club employees.

In any event it's a massive cock up, which does not exactly show the club, and their stadium team, in a good light.

I think this is being handled by the consultants that the club are employing, not actual club employees.

In any event it's a massive cock up, which does not exactly show the club, and their stadium team, in a good light.
it really is basics- as in not paying attention to them! - whatever fee the consultants are being paid, the club should claim a sizable chunk back as the consultants have cocked up big time IMO

Good point - I hadn't realised that but the club might still be the data controller in GDPR terms.

Looks very amateur hour unfortunately.

The fact that everyone on the register has now had their email address revealed is indeed a breach of the data laws. Not content with doing this once, they then repeated the action. Spam emails may increase to those of us who are registerEd, I know for a fact that there are members/supporters of FofSB who have registered. Not good enough and the club need to ensure that whoever is at fault do not repeat such a basic error again.

If I were the club, I’d be ensuring that the ICO is informed. It will be seen as a very minor issue (with no detailed personal information shared) but the ICO will always look on these things favourably if they are self-declared.

Last edited:
If I were the club, I’d be ensuring that the ICO is informed. It will be seen as a very minor issue (with no detailed personal information shared) but the ICO will always be look on these things favourably if they are self-declared.
Agree. The club is legally obliged to do so as soon as they become aware of the breach. It's not a big one as you said unless a Swindon resident can now be identifed as an Oxford fan so should just result in a slap on the wrist.

If I were the club, I’d be ensuring that the ICO is informed. It will be seen as a very minor issue (with no detailed personal information shared) but the ICO will always look on these things favourably if they are self-declared.
I have spoken with the club, as any breach of supporters information is of huge concern. All relevant procedures are being followed since the breach was discovered - including sending out the recall email which might have appeared counter-intuitive but is part of the process! It is a minor breach but will be declared.
I trust a throrough review is taking place of how these communications are being managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom