General New Stadium Plans - Stratfield Brake

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sons head could have been turned when he was about 7. A good mate of Paul Parker (the Man U & England one) used to work for me. He got Paul to send me a full Man U kit. It was the black away one many moons ago and I must admit he looked the part in it. I then took him to the Manor for his first game and he has been hooked ever since. 🙂
Sadly the only picture I have of him in a kit was the Man U one. 🙁

"Oxford United have the staff, equipment and expertise to help manage the annual maintenance for the replacement sports fields and facilities to the highest standards."

Makes a change from not so long ago when we couldn't even maintain the match pitch properly...

Also, in light of the now published reasons for the "Fanzone" not happening at the Kasstad, this section makes for very good reading:
"The stadium could be used during non-match-days for school tours, sports education, women’s football, community meetings and offer a hub for the community to meet. There would be community access to professionally operated, high quality community sport, health and wellbeing facilities.

The outdoor fan zone could be used for markets, entertainment, local gatherings of all kinds and the indoor facilities such as meeting rooms, halls, bars, cafes and education spaces will benefit the wider community."

All sorts of pre-match entertainment and activities when no matches being played. It's going to be a real attraction to attend games and only good for increasing the fan base.

I read last night that the Oxon Senior Cup final will be held at Court Place Farm. I remember when it was always held at The Manor as were the local schools finals etc.

As Oxon's only professional sports club, OUFC should be hosting the county's non-league, youth and amateur clubs for finals and hopefully community games like those can be hosted at Stratfield Brake in the future.

I read last night that the Oxon Senior Cup final will be held at Court Place Farm. I remember when it was always held at The Manor as were the local schools finals etc.

As Oxon's only professional sports club, OUFC should be hosting the county's non-league, youth and amateur clubs for finals and hopefully community games like those can be hosted at Stratfield Brake in the future.

That’s because Kassam wants a massive fee for it to be held at our stadium. Same as the woman’s game tonight.

there are 'other' professional (and semi-pro) sports clubs in the 'shire I believe? - But take your point @Joey's Left Boot

.... and that said games should be contested on a proper, grass, playing surface .... and not, with respect (of sorts) to 'City, on an artificial surface

Interesting news today that Oxford City have ambitions to go full-time. We could well be one of two local professional teams (albeit at two very different ends of the spectrum!). Very ambitious from City who appear to be a very well run club too.

long way from the days when 'City ( Older than Headington ? Oxford United) wanted to remain amateur yet when professional club HUFC applied to change name to Oxford United - with a view to being elected to the Football league, 'City were vociferous opponents of both the name change and were committed to remaining an amateur club

Lots of water under (folly) Bridge since , agree 'City are and have been well run for some time ..... my late Uncle Derek Turrill was a City fan, home and many away games.... believe there's a stand named after him ( and his son Lee) at CPF- good luck to them

on another City related point Steve Fontaine , who played for City - he Scored in the Fa Vase final in the AET Wembley final defeat. Has sadly passed away - RIP Steve

I played ina 5 a side team with him ( and several Oxford based 'pop-stars' - from Samurai 7 , Candyskins, Hurricane Number 1- plus a couple of members of Inter, from Aldershot area) in a Loaded magazine sponsored ex pro/ celb tournament ...... We lost in the quarter finals , in a penalty shoot out to team Fat Les (Keith Allen was their keeper)

20220309_170053.jpg

Steve sadly died in his mid 50's after battling an illness .... OM report

* edit - this and the above thread really should be in the City thread , not Stadium plans thread - oops

Last edited:
on another City related point Steve Fontaine , who played for City - he Scored in the Fa Vase final in the AET Wembley final defeat. Has sadly passed away - RIP Steve

I played ina 5 a side team with him ( and several Oxford based 'pop-stars' - from Samurai 7 , Candyskins, Hurricane Number 1- plus a couple of members of Inter, from Aldershot area) in a Loaded magazine sponsored ex pro/ celb tournament ...... We lost in the quarter finals , in a penalty shoot out to team Fat Les (Keith Allen was their keeper)

View attachment 8412

Steve sadly died in his mid 50's after battling an illness .... OM report

* edit - this and the above thread really should be in the City thread , not Stadium plans thread - oops
RIP. That is a massive 5aside team!!!!

Depends on how tightly you define "specifically built for them" and how you treat historical predecessors of teams.
ie Newton Heath played at North Road (12000 capacity), then Bank Street (eventual capacity 50000), whilst at Bank Street they changed their name to Manchester United, then after that moved to Old Trafford. There are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom