Nelson's replacement?

would a say a club like Luton (for example) would be more of an attraction/ambitious move just because they are in the championship?

As for everyone going on about Sunderland being crap last season (I wouldn’t disagree with that) but with the likelihood of new investment coming in & possibilities of a new manager with a new team with good recruitment they could quiet easily get promoted & then compete in the top 6 in the championship with the right investment
Not Luton. A proper Championship club who could challenge for promotion.
Stoke were supposedly interested and is where I believe he played as a youth player.
Think some of our supporters underestimate Nelson if they think he should sign for a L1 club.

I would love to agree with this post but I just cannot. Aside from their stadium and their 'money', they really do not have anything that we cannot offer as a football club. In regards to being ambitious, so they should be! They have absolutely tanked as football club and if they didn't have ambitions above their current status, they'd be out of the league completely, within 5 years!

Oxford are a team on the up in many respects (we hope) and Sunderland have spent the last 5 years on a pretty savage decline and after the failings of this season, I don't see that stopping if they fail again, next season...

Stay with Oxford, become a club legend and help us reach the highest league position the club has achieved in 20 years!

This move would make no footballing sense to me.
Great post but it’s all about money I’m afraid and Sunderland are surely in a position to offer an attractive package. You can’t blame Nels, snapping his Achilles will have brought home to him how short a career it can be. He would no doubt love to play higher up the pyramid and his talent deserves that but he probably realises that doesn’t happen for everyone and so the next best thing is to load up the pension. I don’t blame him for going where the money is.

I really hope Curtis goes to a Championship team if he leaves us. For those who think Sunderland are a massive club listen to this.

Players have to look after themselves.
I wonder if Constable regrets not taking the big pay day offered by Di Canio. Still he got the non-league version at Eastleigh a few years later.

Nelson has to look at his injury history and choose between a lower championship offer , or a L1 top 1 budget with Sunderland , but I doubt he’d stick with us as we can’t match either wage package and he deserves to play higher.

Also, although I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, remember this has come from the Sunderland forum!! Maybe worth hanging fire for Curtis to finish his week half board in Great Yarmouth before we get too carried away!!

Not Luton. A proper Championship club who could challenge for promotion.
Stoke were supposedly interested and is where I believe he played as a youth player.
Think some of our supporters underestimate Nelson if they think he should sign for a L1 club.

Stoke would be a good move, I’m not one there’s no dealt he can play at championship level & I would prefer him to it’s just got to be the right club plus if Mapp gets the Swansea job CN could quite easily go there to a decent club/team

some of you need to take off the rose tinted specs I think. Sunderland are a massive club for this level and like it or not, players will choose them over us without a shadow of a doubt

I agree in fact it’s the puzzle that Oxford United and almost every other club has to solve. What makes us an attractive prospect to potential players?
Good wages can be counted by great manager, squad, ground, location, prospects.... I think they would trump us on all but location and arguably manager.
One things for sure financial insecurity like not paying staff, winding up orders etc will not help players decide to come to us.

Nico Jones time to step up if we play our youth Jones Sapsov Lopes etc we could have a very exciting squad

Nico Jones time to step up if we play our youth Jones Sapsov Lopes etc we could have a very exciting squad
We will get in a new CB to replace Nelson
Jones is a great prospect but isnt ready to be first choice.

Shame we couldn't get something for him as he was probably close to a 7 figure player at one point, don't think he ever really got back to his best after his injury but can see him having a Dunkley type season when surrounded by better players, I hold nothing against him leaving we signed him when there was already talk of serious interest from Championship clubs wanting him, in the 3 seasons since then we've not sniffed promotion so it's fair he wants to move on but I am disappointed it's to a team in the same division

Shame we couldn't get something for him as he was probably close to a 7 figure player at one point, don't think he ever really got back to his best after his injury but can see him having a Dunkley type season when surrounded by better players, I hold nothing against him leaving we signed him when there was already talk of serious interest from Championship clubs wanting him, in the 3 seasons since then we've not sniffed promotion so it's fair he wants to move on but I am disappointed it's to a team in the same division

I felt he had returned to his best, especially the last 10 games or so. Put it this way, I’d rather he stayed than us trying to find someone as good.

Back
Top Bottom