Nelson's replacement?

Nelson is history
Any club not paying a transfer fee on a player worth 500 k with offer a signing on fee
OUFC cannot match that sort of money.
So forget your chants of we want u to stay
Ain't going to happen

As for O'B the lad just no good enough Open your eyes
Right decision

Purely hypothetical, but there’s a chance Nelson might be considering offers from current L1 clubs who might be in the Championship come August.

If such a club were to win promotion via the play-offs, a further improved salary and chance to play at a higher level would be very hard to decline.

If said clubs fail to get through the play-offs however, then remaining at a club where he’s established, with increased wages, the return of an arm band and assurances about ambitions for the future might be favourable.

Very unlikely I’d say but there is an example of a North East club whose people will know Nelson very well but are also very adept at losing at Wembley over the years!

all good until: "assurances about ambitions for the future might be favourable." These assurances would probably be meaningless words, I don't think anyone believes the ownership anymore... For me, they've got a lot more to do other than keeping us up last season.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I would be really disappointed if he signed for another league 1 club.

Yes it would be disappointing but I wouldn’t hold it against him if he was able to significantly increase his salary and went to a very ambitious club looking to be in the automatic places.

I actually think Sunderland staying down makes it more likely hell end up there.

How so?

Overnight, they’ve automatically become a far less attractive proposition than e.g. Stoke City, and their budget must undeniably have diminished.

There can be no doubt his agent will be looking at Division 2 for him, no lower.

Surely he can get a Chamionship Club?
I would be really surprised if he goes to Sunderland as he can do so much better.

How so?

Overnight, they’ve automatically become a far less attractive proposition than e.g. Stoke City, and their budget must undeniably have diminished.

There can be no doubt his agent will be looking at Division 2 for him, no lower.
They are still a huge club who pay very, very well. Hes a bit of a risk in the Championship whereas he is a proven League one performer.

They are still a huge club who pay very, very well. Hes a bit of a risk in the Championship whereas he is a proven League one performer.
On the basis that he is on a free transfer, I would say that he is a very small risk.
Sunderland are a big club but will probably have to reduce their budget. Stoke for example could pay Nelson more easily if they choose to take him.
Also KR said that Nelson has made clear that he wants to play in the Championship?

Sure - but they would pay even better in the Championship.

Also - unless you're accusing him of an absolute lack of ambition, he will want to try the highest standard he can play at.

I don't disagree Sunderland remains a possibility - but it's a fallacy to say that it's a more likely destination now, due to their failure to get promoted.

I don’t see Nelson staying in L1 as unambitious a club like Sunderland are looking to sign him as they will try again to get promoted next season & kick on if they get promoted, I’d be more disappointed if he choose Luton (with any luck hopefully they will come straight back down) as they just be looking to survive he deserves better than that, Stoke would be the perfect type of club for him

I don’t see Nelson staying in L1 as unambitious a club like Sunderland are looking to sign him as they will try again to get promoted next season

It’s the epitome of a lack of ambition to settle for a big pay day at a large club who’ve fallen on harder times as opposed to a good pay increase at a club that are on the cusp, of which he may play a significant role in their next great success. In fact it would be the playing equivalent of leaving a good manager’s job at which you were on the verge of achieving big things; to go and play second fiddle at a middle of the road outfit for six months, before fading into obscurity.

Could see Curtis doing well at a Derby, West Brom or Stoke.

Sunderland FB page reporting he is going to them as a free agent (Nelson)

What a joke! I really do hope this is a rumour. Financial gain aside, they have shown this year that they are a shite team and WAY off what they think they are. Honestly, I cannot see the attraction, based on the football team itself.

What a joke! I really do hope this is a rumour. Financial gain aside, they have shown this year that they are a shite team and WAY off what they think they are. Honestly, I cannot see the attraction, based on the football team itself.
Totally agree with this as the only gain I can see is financial. They have a better chance than us of going up as all the experts said they would this year and if they aren’t in the top 2 early they will turn. Personally I think unless a championship or higher (unlikely) come knocking other than money he is better staying put.

Back
Top Bottom