Nelson's replacement?

The club has given him a deadline to decide by, so presumably he’s still within that period (albeit it’s about to run out). Seems fair enough to me.

Besides, players employ agents to do this exact sort of thing. It’s not their own responsibility to keep having conversations with the club - particularly given that negotiations are clearly ongoing.

Important to remember that we’re only getting the club’s side on this - might be that it’s not the complete picture. C.f. COD who was hung out to dry.
All he has to say/ communicate is ' yes I'm leaving if the right offer is made ' or no I'm staying ....its the fact that nothing has been said seems odd

All he has to say/ communicate is ' yes I'm leaving if the right offer is made ' or no I'm staying ....its the fact that nothing has been said seems odd

Surely that depends if he has another offer on the table. In his position surely you do what he is doing and say nothing until he has it sorted. We do tend to want to look badly on players for doing exactly what we would do

If I was looking to change job I would find a new one before resigning from the old, is this any different ?

Surely that depends if he has another offer on the table. In his position surely you do what he is doing and say nothing until he has it sorted. We do tend to want to look badly on players for doing exactly what we would do

If I was looking to change job I would find a new one before resigning from the old, is this any different ?
It all depends on job and how you get on with the company.
He hasn't signed a contract so the writing is on the wall. He will have had approaches via his agent etc and to have had no contact is suprising. His leaving is not surprising and he knows what is on the table and whether he is considering it or not.

He made it pretty clear he was likely to be off. He told the club he wanted to play in the Championship. That might not happen but bigger clubs than us will want him.

Alright throwing him an improved contract after the season had ended and after he'd told the club of his ideal intentions. Maybe instead of stripping him of the captaincy and halting October contract discussions wasn't the best idea.

He's been a great servant and owes us nothing

He made it pretty clear he was likely to be off. He told the club he wanted to play in the Championship. That might not happen but bigger clubs than us will want him.

Alright throwing him an improved contract after the season had ended and after he'd told the club of his ideal intentions. Maybe instead of stripping him of the captaincy and halting October contract discussions wasn't the best idea.

He has been a very professional player , wouldn't say a great servant but he hasn't let us down on the pitch and he did the same with contract with Plymouth so not a great suprise to do the same with us

i thought the captaincy was removed because he or his agent would not discuss/negociate a new contract?

Totally agree Simon,

Curtis Nelson done a great job for us we put a offer on the table if he wanted to stay (by a current date) but we all knew he was likely to move on (wishing to getting championship football) but if it is a big club like Sunderland or Ipswich so what, for me them 2 should expect to go up next season if the recruit well then Nelson should get his wish of championship football (bar a year later)

It time to move on we need to find a decent replacement towards his level

Good luck to him (apart from is he goes to Sunderland ;) ), but we move on.

He has been offered a number of improved deals but turned them down as he has ambitions to player as high up the pyramid as possible. That's his choice, and he deserves respect for playing out his contract without dropping form.

It has nothing to do with the captaincy, or any negotiations on the clubs part! But why let the facts get in the way of another little dig!

He's had more than enough time to assess his options, he's known for a while now that he wants to move on.

What if the best offer comes along in the very week before the season starts? Why would he burn his bridges at Oxford in case nothing better comes? Why should “more than enough time” suit Oxford fans online and not Curtis Nelson?

I’m as disappointed as anyone that he’s leaving but we really can’t get irate about someone else doing the best they can for themselves!

He has been offered a number of improved deals but turned them down as he has ambitions to player as high up the pyramid as possible. That's his choice, and he deserves respect for playing out his contract without dropping form.

It has nothing to do with the captaincy, or any negotiations on the clubs part! But why let the facts get in the way of another little dig!

I guess, removing the captaincy wouldn’t have helped with the negotiations.

What if the best offer comes along in the very week before the season starts? Why would he burn his bridges at Oxford in case nothing better comes? Why should “more than enough time” suit Oxford fans online and not Curtis Nelson?

I’m as disappointed as anyone that he’s leaving but we really can’t get irate about someone else doing the best they can for themselves!

But we’re not talking about him telling the club he’s holding out for better, rather the fact that neither he nor his agent have said anything to the club. That’s the bit that irks me.

Last edited:
I guess, removing the captaincy wouldn’t have helped with the negotiations.
Negotiations had come to an end, and Nelson's form (along with others) wasn't great. The captaincy was removed, Nelson could focus on his game and he put in a shift until the last game. This is to the credit of Nelson, but also Robinson who put the team before an individual.

I don't blame Nelson for wanting better opportunities or a big pay rise. Football is a short career and he has to be a little selfish in getting what he wants. Equally, I don't blame the club. We moan about 'money men' being involved in the game but then expect us to break the bank to sign or keep the best players.

Nelson was offered a very good deal but turned it down. If he doesn't get a better offer and chooses to stay then fantastic. If he goes, then good luck. That is football and no blame either way is necessary.

But we’re not talking about him telling the club he’s holding out for better, rather the fact that neither he nor his agent have said anything to the club. That’s the bit that irks me.

He’s not obliged to. He’s still an employee of Oxford United for another two weeks. Oxford have offered a contract and set their deadline. If Curtis doesn’t meet the deadline Oxford can deal with that as they will. He really isn’t required to trip himself up out of sheer courtesy to us. I’m as irked as you are but we can reasonably assume he’s not signing and move on.

Negotiations had come to an end, and Nelson's form (along with others) wasn't great. The captaincy was removed, Nelson could focus on his game and he put in a shift until the last game. This is to the credit of Nelson, but also Robinson who put the team before an individual.

I don't blame Nelson for wanting better opportunities or a big pay rise. Football is a short career and he has to be a little selfish in getting what he wants. Equally, I don't blame the club. We moan about 'money men' being involved in the game but then expect us to break the bank to sign or keep the best players.

Nelson was offered a very good deal but turned it down. If he doesn't get a better offer and chooses to stay then fantastic. If he goes, then good luck. That is football and no blame either way is necessary.

I beg to differ re Nelson’s form. I actually think he was coming back from a long term injury and his performances improved week on week.

The captaincy costs nothing financially, so feel if we really wanted to give it our best chance of retaining him it certainly didn’t help by removing it from him. What was good from this was, Nelson remained the consummate professional football player he is.

Having said that, I feel other factors have impacted his thoughts e.g. our poor form the first few months of the season, financial shenanigans throughout leading to doubt of club’s ownership/ambitions of ever reaching the Championship which Nelson basically joined for. Basically the goal posts had shifted from the ones he heard/saw when he signed.

Question, not sure how you know what deal Nelson’s been offered?

But, however which way you look at it, the removal of his captaincy certainly wouldn’t have helped which even you should understand or may be not.

You don't know very much.

Back
Top Bottom