Nelson's replacement?

With the money Curtis Nelson (like many others) will have been on here, if invested properly then he should be in a decent position financially for his future.

While I wish he had stayed, I wish him well should he sign for Cardiff.
I'm not convinced but maybe you are right. Don't get me wrong i am not one of those ITK people when it comes to anything salary related ( or Oxford Utd related) but I doubt he has earned enough in his three seasons with us to set him up for life. Bankers can retire in their mid 30s having become multi millionaires, I'm not convinced it's the same for most lower league footballers but I'm no expert. I don't believe his move is just about the money anyway, it's also about playing in the championship and obviously with that comes higher wages. I can't believe anybody on this forum would stay in L1 when offered the opportunity to play for a team like Cardiff and like you I wish him well for the future.

thanks for your service and good luck for the future.
hopefully that’ll be the only player going and can get in some quality additions now

Disappointed to see Nelson leave but it was inevitable once he declined a new contract. Pleased for the player that he has got a move to the Championship, he deserves that chance. He’s better than League 1. Classy player.

Disappointing but always expected to move. Im sure he wont look back on his time here with great memories. An excellent move for him.

Pressure definitely really on our rag tag bag of billionaires now.....

Disappointing but always expected to move. Im sure he wont look back on his time here with great memories. An excellent move for him.

Why won't he look back on his time here with great memories? I accept he had a bad injury but he played In some fantastic games (beating Newcastle, the Swindon games, played at Wembley etc, etc).

Yeah, that goal against Newcastle and the scenes at ‘boro won’t trouble his memory at all.

We and he underachieved but he has plenty to look back on with fondness.

Glad he stayed though, as I think we could have been playing in a lower division without him which that £200-300k would have paled into insignificance if we had sold him.
I agree that we were right not to sell him last summer because we wouldn’t have got much (perhaps around the 250k you suggest), but if he hadn’t gotten that bad injury + had a good season, I think we could have got (optimistically) closer to 1mil.

Staying in the south west. Makes complete sense settled in the area. Sunderland can only dream of signing such a quality centre half.

Good on him for getting the move that he held out for. A lot of pressure will be on him now, but he's got a great chance there at a higher level. There are no guarantees going to somewhere like Sunderland would get him any further along his career than staying at Oxford.

Is Fiachre Kelleher still under contract to us next season? If so, let's see what he can do.
He seems to have been given plenty of game time at Macclesfield, recent stats were excellent and must surely have learnt something from working with Sol Campbell.
Given that he is naturally a left sided CB, it would allow Dickie to move to his preferred right side. And would allow us to put more of our constrained budget towards a 20 goals a season striker!
Pretty sure we released Kelleher

Mous isn't an option, he can play cb but was always slow (and now a year older) and prone to a clanger. He is a defensive midfielder and one who has been told he will have limited game time at that position.
We have : Dickie, Jones and if desperate Long.
As this thread says - we need a replacement (or two)

Think we may need 2 now I think we still needed another centre back to push Dickie & Nelson (had he stayed) for there spots

So far we’ve let Raglan & Kelleher go even tho they haven’t ready been part of KR plans, Mousinho never ready good enough as CB as we all noticed what his position really was last season & with him possibly taking up as a coach or even leaving to play football elsewhere, Sam long not for me keep as cover for RB/LB, Nico Jones still a couple of season away from being a first team regular but would give him games in the cups

Last edited:
Cardiff is a genuinely sound more. And if it goes well they are another selling club from which he could move on again into the Premier Division in a couple of years. So Curtis, well done, thank you and good luck.
Mmm, can’t agree about nelsons future, think he will struggle to establish himself as a regular championship player never mind getting to the prem.

Mmm, can’t agree about nelsons future, think he will struggle to establish himself as a regular championship player never mind getting to the prem.
I think you're probably about right. An injury or two might give him the chance to really establish himself but would imagine that he'd be 3rd or 4th choice to begin with. I'd imagine his best chance of getting to the PL would be if Cardiff went straight back up, but that's far from certain.

In defence of Mousinho he never had a reall good defensive midfielder playing in front of him when he was playing as a centrehalf. He might well look a much more solid with Kashi giving him some protection.

Saying that it doesn’t look like we’ll get the chance to see it as Robinson has indicated that Mousiniho will not be a first team regular.

Back
Top Bottom