Nelson's replacement?

You'd be surprised!!

And for someone who knows so little, isn't it amazing that I seem to get most things right, whereas the in the knows get so much wrong?!
This exchange is a new low. If someone knows something tell us, but don’t go around giving hints and making out you’re in the know. We need to sign someone!

Football today is a shorter career game that it was 20 years ago. Players seal 2-3 deals, and are 6-12m away from leaving when they finally hit form (RD?) and we then squeal about them maybe leaving for "nothing". Just commodities. Apart from the superstars making 20+ (and grant you theres a lot of seriously overpaid s**t we will never even see on the telly) a lot of footballers especially in L1/L2 live a paltry exitstence. Even 4k-5k a week is not mind blowing given the length of their paying careers. Beano is our hero and as broke as many!!. I could never quit either my current job or my passive income from online poker to risk playing CF professionally for OUFC @ that level. Many will be in the same boat - footballers careers ends at 35+!! I'm way ahead of the guy making even 20k a week for 2 years in terms of expected lifetime earnings - theirs is all stacked at the short end. But if I was a CF scoring goals or a wing back with a love of w*****g in public I would always look to leverage and leave? We are not the holy grail- just another stepping stone towards it. How would YOU play the hand?

Last edited:
Good for him.
He said that he wanted to leave to play in the Championship and he is good enough to play there.
I am.pleased that he appears to be going there rather than to a League 1 club.
Good luck Curtis.

Cardiff is a genuinely sound more. And if it goes well they are another selling club from which he could move on again into the Premier Division in a couple of years. So Curtis, well done, thank you and good luck.

Football today is a shorter career game that it was 20 years ago. Players seal 2-3 deals, and are 6-12m away from leaving when they finally hit form (RD?) and we then squeal about them maybe leaving for "nothing". Just commodities. Apart from the superstars making 20+ (and grant you theres a lot of seriously overpaid s**t we will never even see on the telly) a lot of footballers especially in L1/L2 live a paltry exitstence. Even 4k-5k a week is not mind blowing given the length of their paying careers. Beano is our hero and as broke as many!!. I could never quit either my current job or my passive income from online poker to risk playing CF professionally for OUFC @ that level. Many will be in the same boat - footballers careers ends at 35+!! I'm way ahead of the guy making even 20k a week for 2 years in terms of expected lifetime earnings - theirs is all stacked at the short end. But if I was a CF scoring goals or a wing back with a love of w*****g in public I would always look to leverage and leave? We are not the holy grail- just another stepping stone towards it. How would YOU play the hand?
Never understand the “short career” argument. They are able to get other jobs once their football career has ended and earn a normal salary.

Cardiff will be a good move for him. Always seen as a solid Championship club that got lucky with a couple of PL seasons, and as a result they've remained a little more grounded than some teams who've gone down. Warnock is an old school manager who will support and develop Nelson and will hopefully mean that he's not only going as a squad player but one who will have a fair chance to establish himself.

Oxford have done all they could, but more money, better football and a bigger club are hard to turn down. Good luck to Curtis and we look forward to seeing his replacement!

Never understand the “short career” argument. They are able to get other jobs once their football career has ended and earn a normal salary.
Yes they are but not necessarily with the same earning power. Most people have an established career/area they work in by their mid to late 30s. Lower league footballers are just finishing theirs, having earned decent money but not enough to set them for life and having no experience in anything else.

Really glad he’s got his Championship move, I think he’d have been there last season and we’d have got a decent fee if not for his injury but that’s football. Hopefully they give him a chance to prove himself and he’s not been bought to bench warm. Cardiff have been heavily linked with Joe Day as well

Yes they are but not necessarily with the same earning power. Most people have an established career/area they work in by their mid to late 30s. Lower league footballers are just finishing theirs, having earned decent money but not enough to set them for life and having no experience in anything else.

With the money Curtis Nelson (like many others) will have been on here, if invested properly then he should be in a decent position financially for his future.

While I wish he had stayed, I wish him well should he sign for Cardiff.

Really glad he’s got his Championship move, I think he’d have been there last season and we’d have got a decent fee if not for his injury but that’s football. Hopefully they give him a chance to prove himself and he’s not been bought to bench warm. Cardiff have been heavily linked with Joe Day as well

Glad he stayed though, as I think we could have been playing in a lower division without him which that £200-300k would have paled into insignificance if we had sold him.

Last edited:
My Cardiff supporting mate has been on this morning already. Nelson will now be playing at his optimum level; he might even struggle at the upper end of the Championship. Been a very classy player for OUFC though.
Interesting thought.
I reckon he will do well in the Championship. He has all of the attributes.
Let's see.

Thanks for your efforts Curtis and good luck for the future.

Now can we all move on and get some effing players in please..?

Nelson already has all of the attributes to play in the Championship, and at 26 he still has lots of time to improve further. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the Premier League at some point.

His form during the second half of last season was absolutely one of the main reasons we're still in League One.

It's disappointing to see him go, but far from unexpected. What's obvious is that it's now imperative we find someone good enough to replace him.

The amount of people who earn 500k plus like Nelson will for the next 4 years plus a big signing on fee is minuscule, so despite the short career I think he will be fine.

He did the business at end of the season for us, when he could of phoned it in, that will do me from a player who was obviously going to leave, no way we could compete financially and no way he could turn the deal down.

Can’t really get the drama about this move, out of contract league one player makes a move up a division for much more money, no brainer.

The turn over of players at this level is and will always be high, it’s why we need to get our act together over the summer transfer windows as you will never keep the same team, doesn’t happen for mid ranking league one teams.

Back
Top Bottom