Current Player Marcus Browne

For me he was wasted on the left wing, he has more impact on the game when he played in the midfield 3 & also the game against Blackpool as a striker he was unplayable that day.

If Holland hadn't been injured, I think we would have seen Browne playing in those positions regularly.

I'm not too fussed if we don't go for Browne. First time around amazing, this time hit and miss. Can see why Middlesbrough found him frustrating. The playoffs sums him up. Bursting run and goal against Pompey. However, I just can't get the fact he appealed for a throw in out of my head, when he could of chased the kepper down, in the build up to the Wycombe goal. Eastwood and Moore made mistakes for their goal but I wouldn't class his as a mistake, it is typical of him to spend time appealing for things rather than playing on. Maybe I'm wrong and his mercurial talent is what we need but he needs to find some consistency otherwise he will end up being carried too much.

I'm not too fussed if we don't go for Browne. First time around amazing, this time hit and miss. Can see why Middlesbrough found him frustrating. The playoffs sums him up. Bursting run and goal against Pompey. However, I just can't get the fact he appealed for a throw in out of my head, when he could of chased the kepper down, in the build up to the Wycombe goal. Eastwood and Moore made mistakes for their goal but I wouldn't class his as a mistake, it is typical of him to spend time appealing for things rather than playing on. Maybe I'm wrong and his mercurial talent is what we need but he needs to find some consistency otherwise he will end up being carried too much.
I would suggest it's easier to make those minor attitude adjustments than it is to imbue someone else with his physical and technical attributes.

Plus, several times this season he was making lung busting runs to track back and help dissposess the opposition (the minute before assisting Taylor's Southend winner was sensational).

I think we just need to work on the sense of frustration he can have sometimes. He has a tendency to want to 'get even' if he doesn't get given a particular foul given his way.

If 5 goals and 4 assists in 14 games with match winners included is hit and miss, can all our players be that? I feel a lot of people are making rash decisions on Marcus because he was a bit lacklustre in the play offs when we needed him most, but that was the same for every other player in the team. Marcus is a special player and a game changer, if the money is right we should take him back in a heartbeat.

I would suggest it's easier to make those minor attitude adjustments than it is to imbue someone else with his physical and technical attributes.

Plus, several times this season he was making lung busting runs to track back and help dissposess the opposition (the minute before assisting Taylor's Southend winner was sensational).

I think we just need to work on the sense of frustration he can have sometimes. He has a tendency to want to 'get even' if he doesn't get given a particular foul given his way.

Exactly this - he’s a young player who will develop the mental side of the game with age and increased maturity/life experience. If fans aren’t that fussed about us signing a player of the quality and skill and potential of Marcus Browne then I’d love to see who they think we could get!

If 5 goals and 4 assists in 14 games with match winners included is hit and miss, can all our players be that? I feel a lot of people are making rash decisions on Marcus because he was a bit lacklustre in the play offs when we needed him most, but that was the same for every other player in the team. Marcus is a special player and a game changer, if the money is right we should take him back in a heartbeat.

And he scored a key goal in the play offs.

Yes fair enough and some good points you make. My view, as I said, is a bit too clouded by the final!

And was struggling with fitness!

I can't believe how some are clinging on to a moment of casual play in not chasing down a back pass as reason to dismiss a player who was targeted by every opposition team as the player who can hurt them the most.

Marcus has a few more years on a decent contract, and bringing him in on a permanent deal would be huge, but I'd take him all day long!!

And was struggling with fitness!

I can't believe how some are clinging on to a moment of casual play in not chasing down a back pass as reason to dismiss a player who was targeted by every opposition team as the player who can hurt them the most.

Marcus has a few more years on a decent contract, and bringing him in on a permanent deal would be huge, but I'd take him all day long!!
You are right, I was a bit to hasty in my judgement!

You are right, I was a bit to hasty in my judgement!
I can’t see how the finances would work as he will surely get offers from clubs able to pay him a lot more, and I wouldn’t want us to blow our whole budget on him . Not sure he’s found his best position yet but im sure he’ll become a good player at championship level.

Browne has all the physical and technical attributes to play in the Premier League. He simply gets lost in his own head and seems to get caught up in a fog (which occasionally becomes a red mist) too often.

A curious case. If his head were clearer and his best days more frequent, we would never see him again.

Browne has all the physical and technical attributes to play in the Premier League. He simply gets lost in his own head and seems to get caught up in a fog (which occasionally becomes a red mist) too often.

A curious case. If his head were clearer and his best days more frequent, we would never see him again.
I would say that KR has had some success with him. Certainly can't see him staying at Middlesbrough. He'll end up going out on loan again or will be sold for a reasonable sum, possibly more than OUFC are willing to stump up.

I would say that KR has had some success with him. Certainly can't see him staying at Middlesbrough. He'll end up going out on loan again or will be sold for a reasonable sum, possibly more than OUFC are willing to stump up.
The transfer fee would likely be less than he went for last year, and we matched that. The difficulty will be his wages as he is on around £10k a week with (I think) 3 more years to go. We'd need him to join Matty Taylor in taking a pay cut if we're to get him I'd guess.

I'm sure something could be sorted, even it it's a Fosu like release clause. For just 25% more than we paid it'd be worth it.

Also worth remembering, (and I say this as part of the strikers / wingers union), you really need a run of games in those positions to get your rhythm and confidence going. Fitness is also much harder to attain in a short time frame as you’re more likely to be doing big sprints and then having to recover to defend again

He would have to give up a hell of a lot of money in wages to permanently move here. Like, £500,000 over the next three years levels of money. What he’s on versus what we could afford, even pushing the boat out, are a good distance apart.

It would take an incredible financial sacrifice from him. Or the biggest signing on fee L1 has seen, delivered in a sack with ‘swag’ written on it.

Exactly, if a player without flaws existed, then they wouldn't be playing for us in League One.

Back
Top Bottom