Ex-Staff Liam Manning

The bed wetting from some of the Bristol City fans is quite funny. "We want our Nige back" 🤢

I'm not surprised Bristol struggled going forward yesterday, Manning seems to start with the defensive organisation and structure before focussing on the attacking side of things.

FWIW I think Manning will do a decent job at BC if given time. If their fan base gets on his back early doors, however, it may well all end in tears (and, of course, a big wedge in LM's pocket). My gut feeling is Manning will ultimately come to regret making the decision to leave when he did.

The best thing that has come out of it all is that it really seems to have had a unifying impact around the club. There's been a disconnect since the end of the KR days, maybe this whole situation will be a blessing in disguise*.

*As long as the board get the next appointment right.
He has 2 weeks before he faces Middlesbrough at home and then Saints away.

The challenge he faces is that he has a very high opinion of his own ability. And there’s lots that he has done well. But with keeping in mind a couple of things

1. He set up an mk dons team in readiness for relegation. It’s not on his cv but it is in part his work

2. At Oxford he kept a team up that the prior seasons had finished much higher up the table. He snuck a couple of victories against rank awful teams but his record in that last 10 games was not amazing. Just because the prior manager had a complete capitulation and would have taken us down doesn’t mean he actually did an amazing job.

3. Over the summer he had unbelievable amount of financial and tactical support from others to bring in multiple new players on top of a squad that historically was a top six side. He took us to top two but with a pretty big financial advantage over 80% of the other teams and was blessed with some of the best players in their position in this league (Beadle / Leigh / cambran / mcg / Rodri / Moore) . We are outperforming our xg so we may not yet be as good as we think

4. At Bristol city he has no financial advantage. He has no core squad better than his peers to start off with . And his passing style of play is not more sophisticated than plenty of his opponents. It’s almost the norm. He doesn’t have a differentiator. Add to that cynicism about his record / experience and the love for Pearson and he may not find this quite as easy as some make out

Lack of eye contact could be one of any number of things, often related to social, emotional and mental health conditions, and prevalent with those who have autism, for example.

Can't we dislike the man for his actions without picking apart these characteristics? Not everyone can have the honour and integrity of some of our esteemed forum members.

I'm almost starting to feel sorry for him.

Lack of eye contact could be one of any number of things, often related to social, emotional and mental health conditions, and prevalent with those who have autism, for example.

Can't we dislike the man for his actions without picking apart these characteristics? Not everyone can have the honour and integrity of some of our esteemed forum members.

Thank you for succinctly saying what I wanted to say.

I wouldn’t worry too much . He doesn’t have feelings

That's a fair comment, and I retract. It did occur to me that he might be experiencing something of a 'dark night of the soul' after his decision last week, and that could possibly be reflected in his behaviour. Despite his clumsy (to say the least) and arguably ungracious departure from OUFC, I don't imagine the decision was taken lightly, and he may have to wrestle with it in his mind for some time.

Well said.

He did what he did, so he has to live with it.

That's a fair comment, and I retract. It did occur to me that he might be experiencing something of a 'dark night of the soul' after his decision last week, and that could possibly be reflected in his behaviour. Despite his clumsy (to say the least) and arguably ungracious departure from OUFC, I don't imagine the decision was taken lightly, and he may have to wrestle with it in his mind for some time.
I hope it keeps the snake awake at night for years to come, and turns out to be a ridiculously bad decision for him.

Integrity my fuckingarse

Back
Top Bottom