Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Im hoping whoever replaces snake manning ( yep he's not officially gone- but the deal was done over the weekend wasn't it- its just the i doting n t crossing left isn't it?) doesn't have Liam as their first name

This season so far, successful (part time) manager of OUWFC , the yellow roses, Liam Gilbert poached by financial basket case Reading FCs womens team. Now it appears Liam Manning has been poached by interfering chairman/board run Championship side Bristol City - Manning hasn't learnt from his experience at MK, when after just missing out on promotion, the MK board fucked him over. I hope Bristol City f**k him over soon.

No more Liam's in managerial positions at OUFC , they're proven backstabbing moneygrabbing Judases
And they broke up Oasis 😀

The big difference this time is that rather than being a club in freefall at great risk of relegation, we're sat 2nd in the table, a fantastic budget for this league, money to spend in January and long enough to assess the squad before the window opens - we will have managers queueing out the doors of the training ground hoping to pick up where Manning has left off. Whether it's an out of work manager, someone from lower down the pyramid or a young premier league coach looking to make the step up, it does not get more attractive at our level than this. We are 100x more attractive than we were 8 months ago and we'll have the best of the best at this level fighting to be our new manager.

As already mentioned, Moore, McGuane and Brannagan have all played well previously.

Who was instrumental in bringing in McEachran and Perkins (I honest don't know) as they haven't really worked out.
Who was instrumental in us not even having even one recognised central striker?
So now he is leaving are we assuming he had everything to do with the bad stuff but not the good. Look, everyone I guess needs to find their own way to cope but the revisionism here to suggest Manning has done anything but an phenomenal job is pretty desperate.

So now he is leaving are we assuming he had everything to do with the bad stuff but not the good. Look, everyone I guess needs to find their own way to cope but the revisionism here to suggest Manning has done anything but an phenomenal job is pretty desperate.
No, that's why I was asking who?

You seemed to be the one implying he only did good stuff.

You might need to go back and read 'some', not all, of the match day threads.

You might need to go back and read 'some', not all, of the match day threads.
I can guarantee that no matter who we appoint next, even Pep Guardiola, there would still be poor performances and dissenting voices on the matchday threads.

I thought he would eventually leave us for Ipswich once McKenna gets poached by a PL team, Bristol City need to be mindful that once a bigger Champ club or struggling PL club flirt with LM he will be off!
Only if he does well - if he lasts less than a year at BCFC he'd have two failures and a short spell at little Oxford on his record, he'd be lucky to manage Mansfield. I think he'll do well though.

Were you saying this before he was leaving?
I was, to be fair. Had a few discussions on here as someone, can't recall who, described his performance to keep us up last season as "borderline miraculous" and plenty of others agreed. He did fine but Robinson still doesn't get enough criticism for just how bad a job he did in my book. Manning took over a team 3 points clear of relegation and kept us above it, picking up 11 points from 10 games with a squad containing Brannagan, McGuane, Moore, Brown, Browne etc, in that time he only beat Forest Green and Cheltenham who were hopeless. Nothing wrong with that, we weren't going to make the playoffs and despite some talent the squad still had some holes but it was job done as expected for me.

That's not to diminish the job he's done this season either which has been very good and at times we've played some incredible football. I'd rather he was staying as I do think he would have been backed in January and taken us up but at the same time I also thought we were fairly average in a lot of games this season and that he was at times to obsessed with controlling the game rather than having a proper go at teams who were there for the taking. I suspect I'll also disagree with a few bits the new man does as there isn't a perfect manager anywhere, far less at our level. My point being that he did a good job overall but isn't infallible, we're a really attractive prospect and there's no reason we can't bring in another top manager. The break is handy, I said at the time that if I were Pompey I'd have played against us while we were missing Beadle and Leigh, I bet they wish they hadn't postponed it now.

My main concern for this season would be what happens to the loan players. Stevens not being allowed to play in the FA Cup is pretty suspect but if we lose Beadle we're really up against it to replace him, hopefully Waldron is already working on bits like this behind the scenes and getting clarification on where we stand from parent clubs. I'm sure he will be, seems a switch on guy.

I was, to be fair. Had a few discussions on here as someone, can't recall who, described his performance to keep us up last season as "borderline miraculous" and plenty of others agreed. He did fine but Robinson still doesn't get enough criticism for just how bad a job he did in my book. Manning took over a team 3 points clear of relegation and kept us above it, picking up 11 points from 10 games with a squad containing Brannagan, McGuane, Moore, Brown, Browne etc, in that time he only beat Forest Green and Cheltenham who were hopeless. Nothing wrong with that, we weren't going to make the playoffs and despite some talent the squad still had some holes but it was job done as expected for me.

That's not to diminish the job he's done this season either which has been very good and at times we've played some incredible football. I'd rather he was staying as I do think he would have been backed in January and taken us up but at the same time I also thought we were fairly average in a lot of games this season and that he was at times to obsessed with controlling the game rather than having a proper go at teams who were there for the taking. I suspect I'll also disagree with a few bits the new man does as there isn't a perfect manager anywhere, far less at our level. My point being that he did a good job overall but isn't infallible, we're a really attractive prospect and there's no reason we can't bring in another top manager. The break is handy, I said at the time that if I were Pompey I'd have played against us while we were missing Beadle and Leigh, I bet they wish they hadn't postponed it now.

My main concern for this season would be what happens to the loan players. Stevens not being allowed to play in the FA Cup is pretty suspect but if we lose Beadle we're really up against it to replace him, hopefully Waldron is already working on bits like this behind the scenes and getting clarification on where we stand from parent clubs. I'm sure he will be, seems a switch on guy.
Great post, but there is a big difference between having some reservations about his management and saying that ANY manager would have done the same.

Bearing in mind the ‘the model’ we have in buying, developing and selling players, we seem to have earned more doing that with managers in 2023.

Am I disappointed if he goes? Absolutely.

Do I begrudge him going? Not at all.

Said a month ago in this thread that Championship teams would be eying him up given how quickly he turned us round. Has very clear ideas so if he has a supportive club around him and his players buy into it, he should do well. And if he doesn't, he'll get at least another couple of opportunities at Football League level given his background. Bristol is a little risky given the chairman, but it's a club with loads of potential given the catchment area.

If he does go he's left us in a much stronger place than when he joined. So thank him for that.

But yeah, still hurts given the current setup had me dreaming of Championship football next season. It's the disruption as much as anything I worry about now, that someone will come in with 'fresh ideas' and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I'll say it again, are we 100% absolutely convinced our success is down to Manning.

The resources poured into Waldron's group - Rodrigues, Stevens, Beadle, Harris, Leigh - all outstanding players, selected by them and signed by Tim W.

The players we had in place already, who were already decent players but messed about with by KR's personal life collapse - added calm, added confidence, very slight changes to be better.

We've not seen him turn Murphy into magic, we've had a few bad games - performances here, not unlucky losses. Out of the games this season, there's been stinkers.

We have the 2nd highest wage bill in the division, we are where we should be.

It could be that the board may also be thinking, 6 months in, someone's going to pick him up for £500k. They dont seem to have thrown the kitchen sink at him to keep him, which makes me think they're also thinking off you go son, good luck.

The next few weeks are going to be exciting, I think we'll come out of this next 3-4 weeks in a way more interesting position.

We just dont know. lots of assumptions.

Out of interest mate how do you know you have the second highest wage bill? Is that public information somewhere or something you've heard at a fans forum?

Would be very intrigued to see how the rest of the league fair wage wise

Bearing in mind the ‘the model’ we have in buying, developing and selling players, we seem to have earned more doing that with managers in 2023.
Will Manning's compensation off-set KR's ludicrous pay-off? Not sure that will cover it.

Back
Top Bottom