Ex-Staff Liam Manning

What game was it that Wilder was all but out the door yet was still around to manage. Have vague recollections of a cup game vs non-league opposition...Gateshead?

Was against Torquay in the league. IIRC correctly he was only seen in the dugout once the whole game, and afterwards no one could find him. Lenegan went into his office, couldn't see him there and assume he had resigned.

I wonder if history will repeat itself where a manager leaves us when we're fighting for promotion, and we drop out of the play offs altogether.

I’m Surprised Liam is considering going to Bristol and probably even more surprised that that they are so keen to give him the Job as he has not had any league success as a manager. Yes he is doing really well so far here, but he needs to be finish the job he has started. Hopefully he will sleep on it and and come to that conclusion.
But if not we are in a great position to attract another very good manager to finish the Job. Onwards and upwards.

COYY

I mentioned Bristol City being after Manning, now my dad isn’t a massive football fan and only follows our results because of me but, even he was surprised Manning would go to them when he is doing such a good job for us.
He said they might be a bigger club but they are a run of the mill championship club which I agree with.

He could build a real legacy here, especially with the new stadium and the owners we have. BC fans don’t even like their owner do they?

If he leaves then on the plus side:-

1) We're in a great position.
2) It will be an extremely attractive role.
3) The current board and Tim Williams have shown they can pick the right manager, so they can do it again.

Keep the faith!!
4) No more of watching that dreadfully dull endless passing across the back 4 (5).

Onwards and upwards!

I heard someone swearing when I was in Grenoble Road earlier, so probably Joe Kinnear.

I’m afraid I’m not willing to quite go as corporate as a lot of folk on here and just be in the “this is life” approach to what is happening.

Obviously it’s all idle speculation at this stage but the guy was without work having been fired from his previous employer and a relatively short track record of employment or accomplishments.

There’s a few mea culpas here.

If we believe in him as a manager then we shouldn’t be sacrificing contractual leeway in order to fire him after ten games with relegation clause. It wouldn’t have been his fault if we went down, He’s either the best candidate or he isn’t. But invariably it appears we’re probably turning up at that negotiating table with much stronger bargaining position given his predicament and our backers. But we’ve included a clause that ensures that if we experience any remote form of success he’s snatched away and the progress, growth, energy, and emotional commitment of players, fans and club employees is unraveled almost immediately and we have to restart. It’s not a good contractual science to allow a trapdoor for exiting so easily with no right of reply. I’ll be interested to see what clauses we have to prevent him pilfering our entire set up and best players in the coming months. Let’s see how good Tim and Grants effectiveness is in contract negotiation .

From Mannings part I think it’s foolhardy from a couple of perspectives. You’re joining a club where the stakes are incredibly high and your track record doesn’t encourage patience at that level. Oxford have a long track record of not firing managers at the drop of a hat. Appleton is a great example of his grabbing and scrambling for instant cash prizes can be very counterintuitive to your career. But just from a personal self respect issue, having accepted the role, been absolutely supported by club, fans and players, there’s just deep down a lack of integrity in my opinion. I think he should feel a fair bit embarrassed. We gave him a chance and considerable backing. It’s akin to agreeing to go for a beer with your mates and then seeing some other mates on the other side of the pub and getting smashed with them instead

Last edited:
I mentioned Bristol City being after Manning, now my dad isn’t a massive football fan and only follows our results because of me but, even he was surprised Manning would go to them when he is doing such a good job for us.
He said they might be a bigger club but they are a run of the mill championship club which I agree with.

He could build a real legacy here, especially with the new stadium and the owners we have. BC fans don’t even like their owner do they?

I think there's lots here for him to build on. My gut says he's entitled to go and that his objective was to keep us in league 1 and after that he's free to do what he wants.

And Kassam chasing them off the premises for trespassing on a non match day!

Shame they didn’t get the memo that the interviews were at the training ground, with a meet the back room team session at Crowley Burger King beforehand.
Burger King would t be able to keep up with the demand if Evans was in there.

What game was it that Wilder was all but out the door yet was still around to manage. Have vague recollections of a cup game vs non-league opposition...Gateshead?

The Gateshead one was when it was announced that Wilder had been given permission to speak to Portsmouth and we played Gateshead a couple of days later in an FA Cup replay

I would hope if Manning goes a clause is inserted into the deal meaning he won't be able to take any Oxford players in January.
If a clause is activated for Manning then there would be no negotiations between clubs.

So no on going clause.

Back
Top Bottom