Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Can someone clarify as I’m just seeing this?

Does he not have a contract where the club can keep him here? Is it not the boards decision whether he leaves?

Apart from being massively disappointed in the integrity of Manning if he chooses to leave , as a man who has tried to present himself as a man of integrity, I’ll also lose complete faith in this clubs leadership. It shows no ambition, no respect to the fans, and quite frankly suggests we are watching something very different to what we’ve been told

Good luck Tim
Really?
My understanding is that when he joined, there was a clause whereby if we went down, there was a break clause from the clubs perspective.
He also had put in a buy out clause if we was offered a good job.
If he is trebling his salary which some on here suggest is possible then how does that mean no ambition on our part?

With his cv, he really should stay with us and get promotion.

Without it, I can't see him getting a job at a top half Championship team of £750k a year.

What has to remain in ones mind though, is that OUFC retained the option to relieve Manning of his duties, had we been relegated in May. He could argue that the club perhaps didn't offer him the security and loyalty that some are now demanding of Manning himself.
If that is true (and I have no reason to doubt you) then the board are culpable for this. Hiring someone to try and clear up the sh!tty mess caused by the man they left in place *way* too long and accepting that if he managed to do that and make a success of the next season then he could b****r off when an opportunity arose is terrible. They would have been better to have accepted it was their fault we were in that situation and backed Manning to get us up from L2 if that's what happened.

Rubbish!
Surprising answer given he saved us from ignominy last year and has Oxford sitting proudly in second place.
Rowett looks a good choice now. Nobody has mentioned Challinor from Stockport. I guess even Phil Parkinson might be prepared to move too, as he has roots in and around Caversham

Well this obviously has the potential to derail us. We will be a very attractive proposition for a lot of managers. Hopefully the players continue to be professional and we can have a quick process to get a new manager in place.

How typical it is of us to be on the verge of something special then mess it up!

And what's wrong with that on the face of it? It'll sting if he goes so quickly for sure but it could be a move that changes him from very well off to set for life, I doubt many on here would turn it down, especially leaving a club you've no attachment to apart from working there for 8 months.
I agree, I don’t blame him leaving either, regarding the financial side of things. I actually thought when the job came available at the time, that LM would suit their style of play, from seeing them play, they like to press and play good football. Best of luck to him and thank you for doing what you’ve done in the short space of time you’ve been here. The club was a mess on the pitch when he arrived and he kept us in the league last season. Hopefully we find a manager, that can takeover the hard work that LM has done since he arrived!!!!

And what's wrong with that on the face of it? It'll sting if he goes so quickly for sure but it could be a move that changes him from very well off to set for life, I doubt many on here would turn it down, especially leaving a club you've no attachment to apart from working there for 8 months.
I don't think being Bristol City manager will set him up for life. Of course it will be a decent salary and presumably much more than he's on here, but I reckon they will stick in performance related clauses / promotion or play-off related bonuses.

We're not talking EPL level salaries.

We were clinging on above the relegation zone last season when Manning joined, and now we're second. We've played some brilliant football and have considerably improved the squad.

We gave him the opportunity to look good and he only went and took it. I bet he knew all along that if he worked really, really hard, acted professionally and did his job fantastically well then other opportunities would come along for him. The snakey bastard. Why couldn't he have just been average? Then we'd never be in this mess. Snake snake snake.

Would any of those that applied and were unsuccessful last time as deemed not good enough be interested again? That narrows the field down a bit to possible successors.

I’m really surprised if we haven’t offered a more lucrative deal to try and keep LM, maybe we have and it’s still not enough, or maybe he has gone behind the back of OUFC so we are not trying to keep him. We need a statement from OUFC right now as to wtf is going on.

Let’s go and get Mous!

Yes, nice but Tim doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, does he.
It's a fantastic opportunity to show he didn't get lucky with this one and that there is some substance to his last interview in terms of how we run differently. He could be forgiven for not expecting this so soon, but that won't excuse inactivity with the replacement or worse, a shite replacement.

The best thing he can do now is address it head on with fans and bring some calm to the storm. Some reassurances that we had started preparing for this day would not be bad press right now.

From the little I know, Des Buckingham fits the progressive young coach continuity remit, but what’s his current knowledge of English League One football?

From the realistic names being bandied about, Gary Rowett would be my choice.

Could the club put some sort of clause into the compensation deal to the effect that Manning couldn’t sign any OUFC players in January? Wasn’t there a similar agreement when Mous went to Pompey?
I would insist they sign Murphy in January for an exorbitant fee! Also I’d like the new man to be a bit more passionate. No more of the “not too high or low talk.

Back
Top Bottom