Ex-Staff Liam Manning

Incredibly naive and risky decision to appoint Manning, made by people with clearly very little understanding. It’s no surprise the stadium debacle has happened when you’ve got such incompetence controlling the club.
Or maybe it’s you that doesn’t have any understand of football. I expect you thought we’d get pep guardiola as our next manager or something equally stupid. Give the bloke a chance & give the board a chance. They took ages to make the decision but give them a chance to have their own man in, which Robinson never was.

Letting an ex school teacher head up possibly the single most important part of the clubs future. Somehow fails to find any suitable land in Oxfordshire and ends up scratching around a triangular patch of earth, in which it’s already known the new owners grand plans won’t actually fit.
You do know obtaining land in Oxfordshire & especially Oxford is virtually impossible, as it’s 90% owned by Oxford Uni? You really should get your facts right before spouting total BS

You do know obtaining land in Oxfordshire & especially Oxford is virtually impossible, as it’s 90% owned by Oxford Uni? You really should get your facts right before spouting total BS
I wonder if we explored the opportunity of building new stadium in partnership with Oxford University? A flagship venue for their college finals? Invitation matches for US Colleges?
Might have led to some land to build?
Or maybe we did?

I wonder how all those other buildings, business, residential, etc manage to get erected?

I wonder if we explored the opportunity of building new stadium in partnership with Oxford University? A flagship venue for their college finals? Invitation matches for US Colleges?
Might have led to some land to build?
Or maybe we did?

The university doesn’t want to know about us, I don’t know if you have ever lived in Oxford but if you have then you realise that it doesn’t give a s**t about the rest of the city at best.

I wonder how all those other buildings, business, residential, etc manage to get erected?

What other buildings? Oxfordshite has had hardly any development compared to the rest of the south east of England, it’s the most rural, least populated part, it’s a notoriously hard place to get anything done for various reasons.

In truth it’s stuck in a bubble and getting left behind, a combination of the university being over powerful and completely uninterested in anything over than collecting rents on its huge land/properties, mental case local councils that want everyone to stay within 5 minutes of their house, extreme nimbys who want everything/one to to stay 5 hours away from their house and all that has combined to drive up prices to a ridiculous level.

Last edited:
What other buildings? Oxfordshite has had hardly any development compared to the rest of the south east of England, it’s the most rural, least populated part, it’s a notoriously hard place to get anything done for various reasons.

In truth it’s stuck in a bubble and getting left behind, a combination of the university being over powerful and completely uninterested in anything over than collecting rents on its huge land/properties, mental case local councils that want everyone to stay within 5 minutes of their house, extreme nimbys who want ever to to stay 5 hours away from their house and all that has combined to drive up prices to a ridiculous level.
Developments such as Bicester Village with hotels & warehousing, housing developments in Didcot, new business premises near Abingdon, etc, etc.

Put it this way, when I get my next house built I won’t be seeking out a retired school teacher to help find some land.

• Haha
Reactions: BDJ
Out of all our esteemed board, Niall McWilliams is the only one who I would say is doing a competent job.
I’m told he didn’t do such a great job of managing a group of wheelchair STH’s when he decided to relocate them without any notice and he didn’t take well to be challenged by them apparently. But there you go.

Developments such as Bicester Village with hotels & warehousing, housing developments in Didcot, new business premises near Abingdon, etc, etc.

Put it this way, when I get my next house built I won’t be seeking out a retired school teacher to help find some land.

That’s 3 things over 30 years over an entire county, other counties the list would go on and on, it’s a stuck in a rut, insular county which is notoriously hard to get anything done. An example is the local public transport like trains, towns like Witney, Abingdon don’t have train stations so no rail link to Oxford, no plans to either but the council are bringing in more and more prohibitive car/driving rules that mean most people from county will rarely visit Oxford as who wants to wait for and then sit on a slow old bus for hours.

You can have a go at the club for a lot recently, it’s not being run brilliantly, but the problem of finding somewhere to build a stadium in a county run by fools, nimbys and an over powerful and uninterested ancient university is not really one of them.

Or maybe it’s you that doesn’t have any understand of football. I expect you thought we’d get pep guardiola as our next manager or something equally stupid. Give the bloke a chance & give the board a chance. They took ages to make the decision but give them a chance to have their own man in, which Robinson never was.
No, the last Pep put me off them for life.

I wish Manning good luck! The players will have to get used to his mild mannered nature in stark contrast to Robbo’s bolshiness but I think that’s a good thing as hopefully football will talk and bullshit walk.

Really? Any manager worth his salt should be able to keep a team up, he inherits that are just above the relegation zone, haven't won in ten games, YES TEN GAMES, have huge fitness/injury issues and are devoid of all confidence. In your view any manager coming in should be able to turn this around in ten games. Some of our fans are out of their minds. Yes, of course, it's possible but I would suggest it will be a hell of an achievement if he does.

Yep. Any decent manager should. The players aren’t bad they’re just low on confidence and have had awful direction.
With a 3 point gap, relegation would be still be Mannings failure.
To justify relegation as the old managers fault when you’ve had 10 games to make an impact is crap, that’s almost 1/4 of a season.
We’re on a 1 point in 10 game run. Now it’s Mannings 10 games to show us why he’s the man for the job.

Yep. Any decent manager should. The players aren’t bad they’re just low on confidence and have had awful direction.
To justify relegation as the old managers fault when you’ve had 10 games to make an impact is crap, that’s almost 1/4 of a season.
We’re on a 1 point in 10 game run. Now it’s Mannings 10 games to show us why he’s the man for the job.
Do you think he should be sacked if we go down?

Yes but it isn’t just any old quarter of the season with a clean slate. He’s starting from a far more negative position than if the season were in the opening games, no recruitment opportunities, no friendlies and playing against teams who are settled and have something to play for. Don’t make light of this, it is not an easy job. Doable, yes, but don’t dumb it down because you wanted a different person in situ. If it was Appleton would you be saying this?

Regardless, I have no idea why we are setting traps for Manning on the forum already. Not long ago it was all ‘anybody will do’. Now we’ve got someone with plenty of promise and before he’s even taken a day’s training we’re adding to his problems.

How’s about we just be grateful it isn’t 3 weeks ago facing a certain relegation under Karl Robinson. Manning gives us a chance and that’s a heck of a lot more than we had not long ago. Everybody just get behind the bloke; we need him to do well!

What bothers me most of all is that Liam Manning started at MK when the good players had been signed and he had an excellent squad.
For various reasons this season he has not replaced those players and the MK Board could see what was happening and got rid of him.

This is what our Board should have done with Robinson because we have an equally bad squad. But for our Board then to hire Manning in the situation we are in smacks of gross negligence on their part.

To be brutally honest I don’t think it matters who we brought in,these players are not good enough to survive a relegation battle.

So the question is who was the man to get us out of League 2 next year, which is a completely different animal.

Obviously I will back Liam Manning and hope some sort of miracle can happen but I’m not holding my breath

Do you think he should be sacked if we go down?

No, I don’t think so. Maybe if we get 0 points and somehow manage to get worse.
Like if he did a Rix and decided to try and change everything. But that scenario is very unlikely.

I’ll support Manning and still expect him to be good next season whichever league we’re in. But I also would have expected any manager we got in to keep us up.

Yes but it isn’t just any old quarter of the season with a clean slate. He’s starting from a far more negative position than if the season were in the opening games, no recruitment opportunities, no friendlies and playing against teams who are settled and have something to play for. Don’t make light of this, it is not an easy job. Doable, yes, but don’t dumb it down because you wanted a different person in situ. If it was Appleton would you be saying this?

Regardless, I have no idea why we are setting traps for Manning on the forum already. Not long ago it was all ‘anybody will do’. Now we’ve got someone with plenty of promise and before he’s even taken a day’s training we’re adding to his problems.

How’s about we just be grateful it isn’t 3 weeks ago facing a certain relegation under Karl Robinson. Manning gives us a chance and that’s a heck of a lot more than we had not long ago. Everybody just get behind the bloke; we need him to do well!

Yep the striker problem is massive. The fact we cannot defend is also huge. It was never going to be easy.
I stand by if the same would have been for Appleton or McCann.

I just don’t think it’s unreasonable to have the expectation that he should keep us up.

Back
Top Bottom