League Two League 2 final day

I guess it was Scunthorpe’s choice to play the kids. They’ve had a wretched campaign (we scored more points in our dire 2000-01 season) and I can understand how playing the first team who have barely fared well against anyone would have been seen as a reward for an awful season. If you have nothing to play for, why not put some kids out? We did against Doncaster.

But you do wonder about what goings on we’re in place to manufacture such a result …probably nothing as it was the Scunthorpe academy v a mens XI but still …

You can’t play the kids in a promotion decider though, as bad as they were this season they didn’t lose 7-0 to anyone.

You can’t play the kids in a promotion decider though, as bad as they were this season they didn’t lose 7-0 to anyone.
If that’s what they did Northampton should take legal action. Fine to play the kids in a meaningless match but they had an obligation to maintain the credibility of the league here.

All three will go straight back down again. All relegation fodder.

Northampton haha. Where is the Cobblers fan that used to post on here? I thought that was hilariously funny.

If that’s what they did Northampton should take legal action. Fine to play the kids in a meaningless match but they had an obligation to maintain the credibility of the league here.
If they are registered members of the L2 squad, how can they take legal action? It's not great, it doesn't feel right but ultimately I bet the players not playing were players who aren't gonna be there next year's while those kids will be.

If they are registered members of the L2 squad, how can they take legal action? It's not great, it doesn't feel right but ultimately I bet there were players who aren't gonna be there next year's while those kids will be.
Yeah dunno the requirements for fielding a strong side in the league. It lays them open to being accused of being paid to throw the game, though I’m sure that’s not what happened

They can’t be punished by the FL I suppose as they won’t be in it next season.

Mad that you could get punished for playing a weaker team in the Johnson DAF pizza b team shield but not in a promotion decider though.

Just had a look at Northampton’s last game against Scunthorpe (a 0-0 draw in February) and they had only three starting XI players who also started today. Can’t comment on whether Scunthorpe played the kids or not, I don’t know any of the players, but that would absolutely grate.

Just had a look at Northampton’s last game against Scunthorpe (a 0-0 draw in February) and they had only three starting XI players who also started today. Can’t comment on whether Scunthorpe played the kids or not, I don’t know any of the players, but that would absolutely grate.

Or maybe they shouldn’t of conceded to Barrow today :)

Well if they are playing those kids to see if they will be any use in the national league at least they know now, they are useless as the first teamers.

It’s very hard to get back to back relegations from league two to national north/south level but Scunthorpe due to the part time minnows at the bottom, but Scunthorpe look like they might actually be that bad.

Hahahaha at Northampton. I'll be genuinely surprised if they get through the play offs now as they must be devastated.

• React
Reactions: m
Today is very, VERY harsh on Northampton.

Can’t fault Rovers - they can only beat what’s in front of them.

But to have a promotion decided largely due to a relegated club playing children, with an average age of 19, doesn’t sit well with me.

I’d be absolutely livid if I were them.
I agree, something doesn't quite seem right there. The tactical pitch invasion too. Brizzle fans knew exactly what they were doing.

If this was OUFC in that situation, we would be fuming.

I don’t see the problem. Scunthorpe owe nothing to anyone. They’re looking at next season and have a right to develop their own squad. Northampton would be up if they’d have beaten Scunthorpe in Feb. Only themselves to blame.
They have an obligation to compete in every game and not to favour any team by fielding a weakened side. Can’t read the league regs on my phone, maybe someone will find the relevant section

They have an obligation to compete in every game and not to favour any team by fielding a weakened side. Can’t read the league regs on my phone, maybe someone will find the relevant section

They fielded a weak team against Hartlepool as well. So it’s not like it was just for today.

Yes the poster above is right, they can develop there side, and play kids as it’s there duty to do so.

I don’t see the problem.

Imagine the scenes In the away end at barrow haha 🎶we are going up🎶 oh s**t Bristol have scored 7😂😂

Back
Top Bottom