Champions League Champions League final 2021

Result

• Manchester City

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
City desperately need a centre forward (well as desperate as a side who one two trophies and made the final and semis in the other two can be), other sides will learn from Chelsea on how to keep them out. Should imagine they will spend big on a Haaland or Kane this summer, smashing the British transfer fee record.

Second European cup for Chelsea, Abramovichs money has really changed them from a middling English club to a big club, any youngsters must be bemused to hear old codgers going on about Chelsea now, if you are 30 you have never known Chelsea as anything but a big club.
I used to watch them as a kid, I remember home draws with York and heavy defeats to Oldham and Rotherham, in a crumbling stadium . They were skint and had to play youngsters

Incidentally, when’s the money going to arrive from Indonesia so that we can start our journey to the Champions League?
So much of being a fan of a club at that level looks so s**t, but you have to say, following your team on a European away day must be a proper laugh. Obviously the small number of chairthrowers are pretty embarrassing, but for the rest of them, spending the day drinking by the Douro with your pals in the sun and then watching your team play in a European Cup final in the evening is a pretty damn good way of spending a weekend.

The plane home if you've lost and you're down about a grand after tickets, accommodation and flights would be pretty grim though to be fair.

I used to watch them as a kid, I remember home draws with York and heavy defeats to Oldham and Rotherham, in a crumbling stadium . They were skint and had to play youngsters

They have had a massive turnaround over the last 25 years, 5 league titles, 7 FA cups, 4 league cups, 2 champions league, 2 UEFA cups and a cup winners cup is some going, they may well have been behind Arsenal and Spurs as London clubs until then but to people under 40 that must seem the distant past, comfortably the most successful London team of the modern era.

I don’t mind that Chelsea, Man City have had investment and shook English football up personally, most of the moaning comes from glory hunting fans of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal that they had some competition, those clubs spent loads of money in the past to get where they were. If you want the same two clubs winning everything follow Scottish football, look how shite that is though.

They have had a massive turnaround over the last 25 years, 5 league titles, 7 FA cups, 4 league cups, 2 champions league, 2 UEFA cups and a cup winners cup is some going, they may well have been behind Arsenal and Spurs as London clubs until then but to people under 40 that must seem the distant past, comfortably the most successful London team of the modern era.

I don’t mind that Chelsea, Man City have had investment and shook English football up personally, most of the moaning comes from glory hunting fans of Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal that they had some competition, those clubs spent loads of money in the past to get where they were. If you want the same two clubs winning everything follow Scottish football, look how shite that is though.
it was just the one until this season ( for a while) ..... and wasn't it a non Glasgow based club that won both Scottish cups this season? .... but, yep, I tend to agree @holdsteady , Scottish football is shite

So much of being a fan of a club at that level looks so s**t, but you have to say, following your team on a European away day must be a proper laugh. Obviously the small number of chairthrowers are pretty embarrassing, but for the rest of them, spending the day drinking by the Douro with your pals in the sun and then watching your team play in a European Cup final in the evening is a pretty damn good way of spending a weekend.

The plane home if you've lost and you're down about a grand after tickets, accommodation and flights would be pretty grim though to be fair.

I went to the friendly matches away in Spain and really enjoyed it, but I would love nothing more than a little European run just once in my lifetime, it’s the one thing you can really envy the premier league clubs about. When people knock the Europa league I sort of get it but I would love us to get in it, an away game to some obscure team would be amazing.

We of course would of played in Europe, but were wrongly not allowed in because of the actions of others. As tragic as Heysel was it will never be fair that Oxford were denied entry into the UEFA cup, we had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I went to the friendly matches away in Spain and really enjoyed it, but I would love nothing more than a little European run just once in my lifetime, it’s the one thing you can really envy the premier league clubs about. When people knock the Europa league I sort of get it but I would love us to get in it, an away game to some obscure team would be amazing.

We of course would of played in Europe, but were wrongly not allowed in because of the actions of others. As tragic as Heysel was it will never be fair that Oxford were denied entry into the UEFA cup, we had absolutely nothing to do with it.
100% agree

The trouble with smaller clubs like Burnley getting into Europe these days is that they don’t take it seriously,they play reserves and lose in the first round, because they’re so anxious not to get relegated

The trouble with smaller clubs like Burnley getting into Europe these days is that they don’t take it seriously,they play reserves and lose in the first round, because they’re so anxious not to get relegated
same with the (early rounds) of the FA & League cups... though its not just the smaller PL clubs who put out teams of (at best) squad players in them

If you are a fan of Burnley etc that must be infuriating, a chance to go on a run in Europe and have memories that last a lifetime or season after season fighting relegation?

If you are a fan of Burnley etc that must be infuriating, a chance to go on a run in Europe and have memories that last a lifetime or season after season fighting relegation?
Domestic or European they are never going to win either, the sad fact remains that clubs of the scale of Burnley cannot afford to drop out of the Premier League and lose the millions when in all probability they would never return. They would then just replace Annual struggle to stay in the top flight with being also rans in the Championship.

Remember kids we qualified for Europe, but were denied our rightful place thanks to The Red Filth of Merseyside.
in some ways for the smaller clubs it's a pity the European competition doesn't begin when domestic season ends, by which i mean taking it on when you're in form after a good season with momentum.

My memory plays tricks but were we not relegated the same season we would have been playing in Europe?

in some ways for the smaller clubs it's a pity the European competition doesn't begin when domestic season ends, by which i mean taking it on when you're in form after a good season with momentum.

My memory plays tricks but were we not relegated the same season we would have been playing in Europe?
No. We won the milk cup in '86 so would have been in Europe for the 86/87 season. We were relegated from the top flight at the end of the 87/88 season.

I actually can't remember the last time I watched a Premier League game. Think it was the Manchester derby that was crucial to the title race about five years back which I watched at the Magnet Bar in Berlin with a mate...

Anyway, I'll probably watch the odd game at the Euros, first time I've seen Reece James in action and was very impressed, especially him having that wet blanket Sterling in his pocket the whole game. Other than that, disturbing to see what has become of Timo Werner...there was a time when he couldn't miss at Fizzy Pop Construct.

Excellent refereeing as well I thought, exactly what the game needed.

The pre-game show though...oh dear!

Did the league cup really have a European place back then? I thought it only came in later in the 90s?

No, we got relegated the season after that.

Back
Top Bottom