Manager/Coach KREXIT: The 'Robbo Out' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, Steve, your continuing support of the unsupportable is pathetic. I despair with your unjustified support of KR, I really do. He should have been dismissed months ago.
What part of my post was supporting Robinson? I was pointing out what was says at the forum.
You are right that Robinson should have gone after that terrible run but then results improved and he got to keep his job. This coming window is massive for Robinson because if he gets it wrong he will go.
Start of the season I said Robinson has until the end of November to save his job and he has managed to by the skin of his teeth and that is partly down to still being in touch with the teams in and around the play offs.

Don’t mistake having a different view point on things with unjustified support.

Like many others I’m struggling to get excited over games this season due to the performances on the field, the interviews done but also the constant anger and petty arguments amongst the fan base.

Oh come on - there was something of a wankfest on here when he signed and I had a lovely feeling in my loins when I heard he had, it just hasn’t worked out.
There was certainly no celebratory remarks from me when we signed him, because I could see what a disaster it was going to be, the guy had been injured virtually the entire time he’d been with us, and was still injured when we signed him.

Only one way this signing was ever gonna go I’m afraid

Start of the season I said Robinson has until the end of November to save his job and he has managed to by the skin of his teeth and that is partly down to still being in touch with the teams in and around the play offs.

This is perhaps where you differ from others who feel that after many seasons and significant investment, for us to be in the bottom half and only five points from the relegation zone in mid December is not acceptable.

There's no doubt KR improved us (though I could have improved us given the state he found us in!). His time was up a while ago in my view and it doesn't feel right. I no longer get excited for games and I have no reason to be. That responsibility mostly falls with KR; I could handle his silly interviews when winning. I just can't stand them any longer, they're tiresome.

The underdog really suits KR. Sadly our budget nor our ambitions are aligned any longer. An above average-League One budget suits him and that has shown. It's relatively straightforward task to manage a side barring a complete catastrophe to under-perform on an average budget, yet not entirely unfeasible to flirt in play-off contention. He's done some really good things during his time (some which have fallen on his lap, granted) yet he has made some mind-boggling decisions too which are now front and centre.

I have said this before, but he's no more than an average League One manager. There are plenty worse. If we have ambitions to progress, a change is needed. His interviews really do not help him and he could have maintained relations better had he not tried to justify his irrational decision making. There have been some musings relating to KR's management, handling of playing staff and a disenfranchised club culture. In his defense, most managers do share similar thought processes, take equally mind-boggling decisions and manage personnel in a similarly detestable manner. This isn't a KR thing. It's an industry thing. The vast majority of football managers aren't (and it isn't their fault) all that bright nor equipped to do their job. I don't agree with it; but football is a deeply unpleasant business and much of the behaviour from senior staff is deeply entrenched in the culture of football.

Which other industry can you go from athlete (I know KR wasn't a player) to managing playing and coaching staff (30+ people), handling recruitment, managing up and down, attending board meetings, having a handle on budgets, managing agents, belligerent staff/players, club discipline, managing peoples futures, creating a culture, planning, making tactical decisions, media duties and often being the face of the club? It's a tough job not helped by the personnel.

Most managers are totally ill-equipped to handle the responsibility and it isn't a surprise. They simply don't have the foresight to manage backroom and playing staff in a functional manner let alone the additional responsibilities and the intangibles needed to be successful. Most experienced business owners and staff don't necessarily do that well, so how can football managers be expected to do that all-while everyone is watching?

Last edited:
What part of my post was supporting Robinson? I was pointing out what was says at the forum.
You are right that Robinson should have gone after that terrible run but then results improved and he got to keep his job. This coming window is massive for Robinson because if he gets it wrong he will go.

Don’t mistake having a different view point on things with unjustified support.

Like many others I’m struggling to get excited over games this season due to the performances on the field, the interviews done but also the constant anger and petty arguments amongst the fan base.
“If he gets it wrong he will go….” Crikey, how many windows does he need to make a complete mess of then?
And by your reckoning, about 18 teams are “in touch with the teams in and around the playoffs”.

Charlton in 18th could win their game on hand and be only 4 points off Peterborough in 6th, so yes, they very much are in touching distance of the playoffs. A decent run of form, a couple of decent acquisitions in the transfer window and the league table can change very quickly for a number of clubs. That doesn't mean it will happen, but to imply that it's impossible is ridiculous.

Charlton in 18th could win their game on hand and be only 4 points off Peterborough in 6th, so yes, they very much are in touching distance of the playoffs. A decent run of form, a couple of decent acquisitions in the transfer window and the league table can change very quickly for a number of clubs. That doesn't mean it will happen, but to imply that it's impossible is ridiculous.

I think it’s ridiculous to think we are play off contenders based on the 20 games I’ve seen this season.

I’ve watched every single one.

It's the next 26 that will matter, and as it stands it wouldn't need a huge upturn in results to take us to the right end of the table.

There's no doubt KR improved us (though I could have improved us given the state he found us in!). His time was up a while ago in my view and it doesn't feel right. I no longer get excited for games and I have no reason to be. That responsibility mostly falls with KR; I could handle his silly interviews when winning. I just can't stand them any longer, they're tiresome.

The underdog really suits KR. Sadly our budget nor our ambitions are aligned any longer. An above average-League One budget suits him and that has shown. It's relatively straightforward task to manage a side barring a complete catastrophe to under-perform on an average budget, yet not entirely unfeasible to flirt in play-off contention. He's done some really good things during his time (some which have fallen on his lap, granted) yet he has made some mind-boggling decisions too which are now front and centre.

I have said this before, but he's no more than an average League One manager. There are plenty worse. If we have ambitions to progress, a change is needed. His interviews really do not help him and he could have maintained relations better had he not tried to justify his irrational decision making. There have been some musings relating to KR's management, handling of playing staff and a disenfranchised club culture. In his defense, most managers do share similar thought processes, take equally mind-boggling decisions and manage personnel in a similarly detestable manner. This isn't a KR thing. It's an industry thing. The vast majority of football managers aren't (and it isn't their fault) all that bright nor equipped to do their job. I don't agree with it; but football is a deeply unpleasant business and much of the behaviour from senior staff is deeply entrenched in the culture of football.

Which other industry can you go from athlete (I know KR wasn't a player) to managing playing and coaching staff (30+ people), handling recruitment, managing up and down, attending board meetings, having a handle on budgets, managing agents, belligerent staff/players, club discipline, managing peoples futures, creating a culture, planning, making tactical decisions, media duties and often being the face of the club? It's a tough job not helped by the personnel.

Most managers are totally ill-equipped to handle the responsibility and it isn't a surprise. They simply don't have the foresight to manage backroom and playing staff in a functional manner let alone the additional responsibilities and the intangibles needed to be successful. Most experienced business owners and staff don't necessarily do that well, so how can football managers be expected to do that all-while everyone is watching?
Completely agree. I don't think KR is terrible. I just think his level is L1, and he's not suited to a club that now has Championship aspirations. He'll go at some stage in the next six months. Personally, I hope it's sooner rather than later. There's a new breed of manager (and yes, I know KR is only 40) that is generally a bit more intelligent and is certainly more methodical. KR doesn't appear particularly bright imo, and that's becoming increasingly obvious as he's botching a very generous L1 budget. Thanks and all that, but KR, it's time to go.

I think it’s ridiculous to think we are play off contenders based on the 20 games I’ve seen this season.

I’ve watched every single one.
He didn’t say that, though. You’re quite right, that would be ridiculous to say. But to me it’s equally ridiculous not to acknowledge the opportunity afforded to us by the rest of the league - they’re all ambling bar 3 good sides.

To me it’s a little frustrating to see Karl still in the hot seat for that reason. He’s not motivated. It’s not as though our season is over and we’re 20 points adrift hobbling to the finish line. A positive change in that role along with some good moves in the window could still put us up there.

What’s gone is gone. If we really wanted to, we could approach the second half of the season as it’s own mini-season, start a fresh and still have a go. But I fear we’re going to let this season pass us by and try to take control of the next one instead.

Forget our league position for a moment. Would you have taken 6 points off the play offs at Xmas? 3 if we win our game in hand? I probably would. But 16th and 5 points above relegation is a much more damning description of the same circumstances.

This season I have faith in Karl I think we will not just sneak in to the play offs but absolutely steam roller our way into them we're going to do some good business in January and we will be on our way I also think we will knock arsenal out of the cup

Tell you what, based on some opinions why don’t we forgo the first 20 games of the season and just make it a 26 game a season slog?

First 20 games and 60 points aren’t important, apparently.

Honestly, give me strength.

Stupid comment based on absolutely no one suggesting that we didn't bother with the first 20 games but instead look at what can be achieved over the next 26.

He didn’t say that, though. You’re quite right, that would be ridiculous to say. But to me it’s equally ridiculous not to acknowledge the opportunity afforded to us by the rest of the league - they’re all ambling bar 3 good sides.

To me it’s a little frustrating to see Karl still in the hot seat for that reason. He’s not motivated. It’s not as though our season is over and we’re 20 points adrift hobbling to the finish line. A positive change in that role along with some good moves in the window could still put us up there.

What’s gone is gone. If we really wanted to, we could approach the second half of the season as it’s own mini-season, start a fresh and still have a go. But I fear we’re going to let this season pass us by and try to take control of the next one instead.

Forget our league position for a moment. Would you have taken 6 points off the play offs at Xmas? 3 if we win our game in hand? I probably would. But 16th and 5 points above relegation is a much more damning description of the same circumstances.

I think this coming transfer window will show us what the board actually want to do this season. If they invest in match ready players then it shows intent this season, if we sign players to come in with an eye on them pushing into the first team next season then it shows that they are happy with not being promoted this year.

If the latter happens then I’m not sure what the point of keeping Robinson in post is because if we don’t go up or even challenge the play offs then he has to go and a new man would need to come in and make his mark on the squad.

It’s certainly going to be an interesting 6 weeks.

I think this coming transfer window will show us what the board actually want to do this season. If they invest in match ready players then it shows intent this season, if we sign players to come in with an eye on them pushing into the first team next season then it shows that they are happy with not being promoted this year.

If the latter happens then I’m not sure what the point of keeping Robinson in post is because if we don’t go up or even challenge the play offs then he has to go and a new man would need to come in and make his mark on the squad.

It’s certainly going to be an interesting 6 weeks.

No, just no.

The board have already shown they aren’t bothered about promotion this season by sticking with Karl Robinson.

January is irrelevant. We won’t get promoted with him as manager regardless of who we bring in.

Little frustrating is an understatement.

By keeping him in charge they’re crossing off any chance of getting promoted this season.

The whole ‘we aren’t far off’ is irrelevant whilst that clown is our manager.

Hopefully the board don’t give KR a penny for signings in January that are short term/for this season. A mid-table season is okay if it ends the spell of the nearly man.

I’m okay with some development signings like the Irish lad, they could become assets for the new manager & the football club.

Keep the major money tucked away & add it to the budget for the new man to spend in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom