Manager/Coach Karl Robinson New Manager

Well done KR, best bit of PR since oh whats his name!

Who thinks he wasn't our no1 target?

Very impressive phone in, KR seems a very enthusiastic person and spoke well.
Could be just the type we need, and I wish him every success at our club.

Well from what I have read and based on KR hour on RO , he seems to be a very determined character who knows what he wants. He answered all of the questions well (whether sensible or daft question). The 11 year old by the way had really good knowledge of Charlton and MK!!

Some really interesting comments:

- he spoke to Robbie Hall and George Baldock before coming to Oxford about the club.
He clearly rates Robbie Hall
He knows the John Aldridge family including John A well.
He loves wingers and was told by one Chairman that he had too many.
He will clearly play one up front but with a number 10 behind who will be expected to score 10 goals + per season. He said that Jack Payne was a good player but needs to score more to be a very good player (the impression I got was that he would not take JP as he doesn't score enough- may have misinterpreted it)
He explained how a lot of clubs play one up front and if you play two upfront then you can be over run in midfield. BUT he said that MK often had 5 in the box and that is the critical thing.
He knew a lot about OUFC players in the past. He reckoned that the team that went up from League 2 would 'easily' have got into the Top 6 in League 1.
Was really impressed with Napa in one training session (and said that from the one session he could see that Eastwood was a 'very good keeper'.
Suggested clearly that he wants to be with a club for a while.
He said that he had given a list of players he wants. Tiger 'liked some of them and will get to like all of them' !!

As others have suggested Tiger now your turn- back him...

I did laugh when KR was asked about the fans and he called them intense, after a pause. A very polite answer.

While it was nice to hear a manager with a silver tongue, what happens on the pitch is key. KR clearly has done his homework on OUFC on and off the pitch

Pre season in Ireland. He came over as organised, knowledgeable, determined and someone who has his own way of doing things and won't easily sway from that.

His stock has dropped over the last couple of years and I suspect he sees this as a good opportunity to put that right. He strikes me as someone who won't hang around if the backing he looks to have been promised isn't forthcoming. I was a bit meh initially but was impressed after hearing him speak.

Very impressed with that interview. Said all the right things. Incredibly engaging and personable and came across as an experienced manager who knows what he’s doing. I like. Just put into action what he said and it could be a match made in heaven.

Whoa, kr has given tiger a list of players he likes and expects to get all of them? Loved it!

Does this mean a return to traditional scouting of players? Or will we continue to look to buy young talent that we can sell on?

Or a bit of both perhaps? Since we’ve made a lot of money selling Lundstram, Roofe, O’Dowda etc, I think it would be disappointing to lose that part of the business and just rely on tried-and-tested but not sellable players.

Josh Magennis out of contract in the summer at Charlton. He’s pretty much a good version of Obika - not prolific but a terrific hold up player. Go get ‘im, Karl!

Now let’s move the home dugout to the East Stand end so he doesn’t have to suffer the SSL moans and groans from Day One. ?

I have read comments from Charlton supporters that KR talks a good game, but doesnt live up to promises etc, but I'm going to quietly ignore that as sour grapes.
In the end, out of all of the names that we were linked with at various points over the last two months, we have ended up with one of, if not best of the bunch and for that we have to thank Tiger - whether he was first choice or not (and I can see KR being the wow appointment from Tigers point of view (higher placed team, experience at this level, relative success at this level, previously tipped for greater things, etc - not to mention the may take a few days to sort out, you'll understand why when its done comment).
This certainly puts Tiger into credit in my book, after that rather chaotic start!

As I've said elsewhere, rely on the current staff at first, but he has to be making his own decisions regarding the future and contracts etc,

A very clever move by KR to have this phone in. He obviously knows one of his strengths is communicating with media and fans.

This phone in has bought him a load of goodwill and positivity which he no doubt hopes will spill over into the crowds and on to the pitch in these crucial next games.

Very impressed with him. Great start.

Cunningly swerved the “will you stick around if we get relegated?” question, saying that he hadn’t come here to manage in League 2, which I suppose means he’s approaching it with an attitude of relegation not even being an option, but didn’t really answer the question.

That aside, I thought he came across very well, likeable character who also has a clear idea of how it is he wants to run the team and play (structure of Irish pre-season trip, loves wingers, one man up top with the number 10 also functioning as an aggressive attacker and getting 3 or 4 players in the box when the ball gets crossed in there).

He seems a driven character, and I feel he will work his hardest at OUFC both for the club and for his own sake. He’s young and has ambitions of getting back out of this league. To do that he’ll either have to take us there with him, or do well enough with us to catch the eye of Championship teams. Either is a step forward from where we currently are.

I’m not calling him the messiah, but I see exciting times ahead.

Back
Top Bottom