Manager/Coach Karl Robinson New Manager

Excellent phone in. KR spoke incredibly well and made a lot of sense unlike good ole Pep.

I have read comments from Charlton supporters that KR talks a good game, but doesnt live up to promises etc, but I'm going to quietly ignore that as sour grapes.
In the end, out of all of the names that we were linked with at various points over the last two months, we have ended up with one of, if not best of the bunch and for that we have to thank Tiger - whether he was first choice or not (and I can see KR being the wow appointment from Tigers point of view (higher placed team, experience at this level, relative success at this level, previously tipped for greater things, etc - not to mention the may take a few days to sort out, you'll understand why when its done comment).
This certainly puts Tiger into credit in my book, after that rather chaotic start!

As I've said elsewhere, rely on the current staff at first, but he has to be making his own decisions regarding the future and contracts etc,
"KR talks a good game but doesn't live up to promises".

Interesting point. Can a good manager guarantee good results? Depends on so many factors, most of which are out of his control.

But, a good manager must be able to talk a good game. If you can't even talk a good game then how can you motivate players, persuade them to come to the club, stay at the club etc. How can you persuade a chairman to give you that extra funding to get that special player you want?

Whatever happens from here on in, KR talks the best game I've heard from an Oxford manager, Mapp included. If he fails it won't be down to poor communication skills.

Does this mean a return to traditional scouting of players? Or will we continue to look to buy young talent that we can sell on?

Or a bit of both perhaps? Since we’ve made a lot of money selling Lundstram, Roofe, O’Dowda etc, I think it would be disappointing to lose that part of the business and just rely on tried-and-tested but not sellable players.

Josh Magennis out of contract in the summer at Charlton. He’s pretty much a good version of Obika - not prolific but a terrific hold up player. Go get ‘im, Karl!

On what I have seen Obika is a good version of Magennis, albeit an injury prone one.

Cunningly swerved the “will you stick around if we get relegated?” question, saying that he hadn’t come here to manage in League 2, which I suppose means he’s approaching it with an attitude of relegation not even being an option, but didn’t really answer the question.

That aside, I thought he came across very well, likeable character who also has a clear idea of how it is he wants to run the team and play (structure of Irish pre-season trip, loves wingers, one man up top with the number 10 also functioning as an aggressive attacker and getting 3 or 4 players in the box when the ball gets crossed in there).

He seems a driven character, and I feel he will work his hardest at OUFC both for the club and for his own sake. He’s young and has ambitions of getting back out of this league. To do that he’ll either have to take us there with him, or do well enough with us to catch the eye of Championship teams. Either is a step forward from where we currently are.

I’m not calling him the messiah, but I see exciting times ahead.

Hopefully KR will have a chat to Rothwell for him to be the #10.

Give him the responsibility of the role, get him on a new contract. Did I read KR tried to sign Rothwell previously? Or just chat on here!?

• React
Reactions: MJB
Hopefully KR will have a chat to Rothwell for him to be the #10.

Give him the responsibility of the role, get him on a new contract. Did I read KR tried to sign Rothwell previously? Or just chat on here!?
I think James Henry looks very well suited to the no.10 role, and KR said that he turned the game when he came on in the win against Charlton, even thinking it was him that scored the winner, but from reading the article in the OM today, where Henry talks of his relationship with Jackett and how they understand each other, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him head off to Pompey in the summer. Would be a great shame in my opinion, now that we’re finally seeing him at his best, in his preferred position

I think James Henry looks very well suited to the no.10 role, and JC said that he turned the game when he came on in the win against Charlton, even thinking it was him that scored the winner, but from reading the article in the OM today, where Henry talks of his relationship with Jackett and how they understand each other, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him head off to Pompey in the summer. Would be a great shame in my opinion, now that we’re finally seeing him at his best, in his preferred position

Quite agree with Henry. Has been our best player for a few months now.

Still think Rothwell is well suited to the role. Can carry the ball, decent passing, also consider him one of our best finishers

Cunningly swerved the “will you stick around if we get relegated?” question, saying that he hadn’t come here to manage in League 2, which I suppose means he’s approaching it with an attitude of relegation not even being an option, but didn’t really answer the question.

That aside, I thought he came across very well, likeable character who also has a clear idea of how it is he wants to run the team and play (structure of Irish pre-season trip, loves wingers, one man up top with the number 10 also functioning as an aggressive attacker and getting 3 or 4 players in the box when the ball gets crossed in there).

He seems a driven character, and I feel he will work his hardest at OUFC both for the club and for his own sake. He’s young and has ambitions of getting back out of this league. To do that he’ll either have to take us there with him, or do well enough with us to catch the eye of Championship teams. Either is a step forward from where we currently are.

I mean I hate to test fate but we aren't exactly in the drop zone/bottom 4. So all being well others have more serious concerns.

I mean I hate to test fate but we aren't exactly in the drop zone/bottom 4. So all being well others have more serious concerns.
Yeah I was more remaking on his ability to swerve than his lack of concern about a relegation dogfight.

Quite agree with Henry. Has been our best player for a few months now.

Still think Rothwell is well suited to the role. Can carry the ball, decent passing, also consider him one of our best finishers
Yep, Rothwell and Henry are both good finishers, and Robinson’s says he expects his no.10 to be an attacker more than a midfielder who’ll chip in with 10-15 goals a season. Roofe being his perfect example of what he expects, saying it’s his job to find the next Roofe. Interesting times ahead!

Yep, Rothwell and Henry are both good finishers, and Robinson’s says he expects his no.10 to be an attacker more than a midfielder who’ll chip in with 10-15 goals a season. Roofe being his perfect example of what he expects, saying it’s his job to find the next Roofe. Interesting times ahead!

McAleny would have been ideal for him for the no.10.

His knowledge of OUFC's old & recent history plus that of the currrent squad is superb. I sounds as if he has a real passion for OUFC and it is infectious. Previous managers such as Clotet and WIlder had to do a lot of homework on OUFC before getting the job, while Appy was handed it on a plate. KR clearly already has a bond and passion for the club........it's almost as if he formed this attachment years ago.

Very rare for someone who has not played for us, but we should be ecstatic over this. I certainly am!

Would Hall be able to play that role too?
If he stays fit and we offer him a new deal obviously?

One other thing. Rightly so, Tiger came across as a bit of a Muppet in his introduction press conference, however KR does not sound like a mug......and neither is Darryl for that fact. DE spent a hell of a lot of time with the guy before selling and he would not have done so if he had serious doubts about him.

In addition KR has spoken about Tiger liking some of his targets, so that implies that he knows his stuff. I have a feeling Tiger will not turn about to be the guy that we fear he is.

I reckon that he was trying to not come across as too cocky, but reckons there is virtually no chance of going down. Indeed he was more talking about having a good end to the season and looking to come half way. He knows the Division very well and knows our players and I think that he is looking forward positively.

You're right of course, KR certainly isn't Him but the interview is a very good start concerning both his intentions and his infectious enthusiasm for the game. Just worked out that when I watch the match at Pompey tomorrow, KR will be the 30th Manager / Head Coach I've seen Oxford play under. There have been an awful lot of false dawns included in that number, some of them so awful I shall move on quickly from any Fokus on individuals. I'm cautiously optimistic and wish KR every success.

Speaks volumes to me that players seem to like working with him. He spoke to Hall before taking the job and when Gorgeous George phoned in to RadOx, I thought surely not, how good is that! At the end of the Preview Show on iFollow Lego said (pre-appointment) that his preferred candidate was KR. Really looking forward to supporting KR and the team tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom