General Jan transfer window

Woke up to a deluge of posts in this thread. Haven’t read them all, but there seems to be a bit of panic. Looks to me like we’ve sold someone who had a release clause and a talented but fragile player who isn’t critical to us but might have a huge future. We’ve either sold them arguably a bit cheap ($3M) or for a decent wedge ($4M++). It’s late in the window so KR is sensibly cautious about getting players in, but I do t doubt he’s not put the phone down for the last 36 h.
We’ve been buying and selling like this for a few years now and the team has got better and stronger and we have little dead wood or salary burdens, which is what happens if you hold on to players too long.
Although I’m a bit concerned about the next few weeks, I’m mostly impressed with KR as a man and a manager, and hope we can hold on to him. I think he acts with incredible authenticity and clearly is not afraid of engaging fully with board, players and supporters. Of course he can’t please all in a position like this, but he doesn’t hide from the conflict and shoulders it. For a young bloke I hope he is looking after his mental health, and that he keeps his mature, long-sighted and ambitious approach working at oxford.

Sales like this are why there are still people on this forum questioning the intentions of our Board when it comes to the purchase of a ground and the make up of that agreement with OUFC if/when they leave.

In terms of covering the positions for the remainder of the season I actually think we’re probably alright, however, there’s being a ‘selling club’ and there’s being desperate to sell.

Having absolutely no insight into the inner working of the club, an outsider so to speak the sale of Baptise for the widely reported combined total of £3M comes across as Tiger trying to make a quick buck and cover some losses.

If that’s what he wants to do then fair play it’s his train set but don’t give it the big one about promotion, money available, Championship club, we won’t sell unless it’s silly money and so on.

The Board have got until 2300 to show the fans what their intentions are and the loaning of another premier league reserve/youth player is not it. If we come out of this window still short of a RB and striker, having sold two assets for £3M and replaced with a few loans (however promising they may be) then that comes across, to me, as a Board lacking ambition with one eye always looking for a way out/way to make a profit.

Ball is well and truly in their court although it sounds as though (according to the one/two posters who do appear to get good info) that it’s quiet on that front.

I think this sale answers why certain people aren’t ‘feeling’ everything that’s going on at the moment. Regardless of a shiny training ground and all the spin that the club force feed.

Jesus, there are some flaky people on here.

I've seen posts on here since November saying that we were likely to lose one of Baptiste / Dickie / Branagan in this window and that Shandon was probably the least mission critical to this season.... people have also reported that Fosu had a release clause. That appears to have been met and he decided to go. There is also three page thread going back to the Wycombe game called "What Has Happened To Tarique".

Many people on here were part of a massive laugh in at Sunderland fans having a "melt down" a month or so ago. Have a look at yourselves. If one thing will derail our season more than anything else it will be some of the people on here turning up on Saturday with the same attitude they're showing on here this evening.

This is our business model. We lose £2 million per year (financial year 2017/2018 - which was the season that Eales scaled back and cut costs prior to leaving). We have signed five players this window including two players to cover each of the positions we've lost players today. We're due to sign at least one further player today.

Last edited:
Well said Jonny G. Most people posting are bed wetters on this forum that’s for sure. Apart from a few good posters including scotch egg there’s not a lot of perspective. We’re Oxford United not inter Milan. Our gates are well below 10k. We are a small club that has to sell to survive. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Personally I do not believe that Baptiste is going for £2.25m (based off the £3m for the pair). He has the highest ceiling of any of our players (I've been round all their houses and checked), and is the youngest of our prized assets, so they can get a good few years out of him and still then sell him on as a guy who will only be early-mid 20's. I think £3.5m plus a sell on & promotion clause would be more likely. And as we get later and later in the window prices are usually higher, not lower for players. If a club needed to sell a player for financial reasons, they would do so at the start of the window. But when a team comes in late in the day declaring interest in a player the selling club can essentially name their price, especially when they have the safety net of that player being on a long term contract (as Baptiste is).

And it's actually Fosu's departure that I think will hamper us more as regards to this season. Yes he's been out of form for a little while and can be frustrating with his decision making as to when he chooses to keep/pass the ball, but don't forget the magic of earlier in the season. He was unplayable. Rage has it that he's scored 11 goals in 33 games for us. 1 in 3? As a winger? There are many centre forwards who can only dream of that. And most of those were spectacular too.

One more thing, I'm as gutted as anyone to see these players leave. But some on here are acting like it's the end of the world. Do you think Henry, Brannagan, Thorne, Woodburn, Kelly, Gorrin, Browne are going to wake up tomorrow and forget how to play football? KR has assembled the best squad we've had this century and hopefully with an addition (or 2!) ourselves on deadline day we can still make this a season to remember. COYY

I hope we have 2/3 players In the door today no more loans if possible, bit gutted to see Shandon go as think he will one day be a top player but let’s see who we bring in and we probably have a very good player In kelly

When (if) these Fosu & Baptiste deals go through in the next 17 hours then you’d hope we have 2/3 coming in.

Big day ahead for the football club

Before the window opened, we’d just got ourselves into the top 2.

Baptiste was just coming back into the side, Fosu had been off pace for a while, and we were talking about promotion.

At the end of the window (touch wood), we’ll have brought in Kelly - a player who by some accounts was Influential in the Reading side who got to the playoff final in 2017 - in CM, and Browne / Holland on the flanks.

We’ve seen Long have a run in the side, including good performances vs Man City and Newcastle, and seen a few promising appearances from Agyei.

Disappointed to have not strengthened up front (so far?), or at RB - but it’s not the end of the world and we could still have a top 6 side.

Goes to show how s**t this club is being run, the club and board are scared to get promotion because of the cost, so with that in mind anybody under the age of 24 will never see the championship being played at the Grenoble road, and you can forget about a new ground we don’t have and never will have the money.

Oh boy he really is back and seemingly worse than ever

So we bring in 3 players and lose 3 and the world has ended. We have lost an impressive but inconsistent winger who the club could not avoid selling and a youngster who has started 16 league games. Not knocking anything about Shandon because he is a hell of a talent but this really is not the end of the world

The reality is we are a loss making football club with fans who think we should have owners just covering the costs and losses. It does not work like that at at our level pretty much all clubs are selling clubs.

We have got what look like sizeable fees and hopefully with add ons and have a.sqiad that has the depth to replace them

Yes some of our players are loans but this season is about the next 4 months, lets worry about next season in the summer

And if people really have already decided to not renew a season ticket because we have got upwards of £3m for a young player with 16 league starts in his career and 3 major injuries then it's their choice but I suspect they will be in a very small minority and probably looking for a reason not to renew

How about we show the confidence in those players who are here rather than writing them off ?

Sales like this are why there are still people on this forum questioning the intentions of our Board when it comes to the purchase of a ground and the make up of that agreement with OUFC if/when they leave.

In terms of covering the positions for the remainder of the season I actually think we’re probably alright, however, there’s being a ‘selling club’ and there’s being desperate to sell.

Having absolutely no insight into the inner working of the club, an outsider so to speak the sale of Baptise for the widely reported combined total of £3M comes across as Tiger trying to make a quick buck and cover some losses.

If that’s what he wants to do then fair play it’s his train set but don’t give it the big one about promotion, money available, Championship club, we won’t sell unless it’s silly money and so on.

The Board have got until 2300 to show the fans what their intentions are and the loaning of another premier league reserve/youth player is not it. If we come out of this window still short of a RB and striker, having sold two assets for £3M and replaced with a few loans (however promising they may be) then that comes across, to me, as a Board lacking ambition with one eye always looking for a way out/way to make a profit.

Ball is well and truly in their court although it sounds as though (according to the one/two posters who do appear to get good info) that it’s quiet on that front.

I think this sale answers why certain people aren’t ‘feeling’ everything that’s going on at the moment. Regardless of a shiny training ground and all the spin that the club force feed.
Spot on post!

Jesus, there are some flaky people on here.

I've seen posts on here since November saying that we were likely to lose one of Baptiste / Dickie / Branagan in this window and that Shandon was probably the least mission critical to this season.... people have also reported that Fosu had a release clause. That appears to have been met and he decided to go. There is also three page thread going back to the Wycombe game called "What Has Happened To Tarique".

Many people on here were part of a massive laugh in at Sunderland fans having a "melt down" a month or so ago. Have a look at yourselves. If one thing will derail our season more than anything else it will be some of the people on here turning up on Saturday with the same attitude they're showing on here this evening.

This is our business model. We lose £2 million per year (financial year 2017/2018 - which was the season that Eales scaled back and cut costs prior to leaving). We have signed five players this window including two players to cover each of the positions we've lost players today. We're due to sign at least one further player today.
If this is true I’ll definitely feel a lot more comfortable about where this season is going but where have you heard it? You certainly sound a lot more confident than KR and NM last night! ?

At the end of the day players come and players go we have to sell players to keep us afloat we sold probably the two players I would have sold we kept are main three in my opinion in dickie Brannagan and Gorrin and IF we could sign a couple today it won’t be a disaster we still got a very strong team

This is by no means a disaster I would rather lose baptiste than brannagan any day, don't forget we have Kelly who has been there done it and he is only 24 played nearly 100 games in the championship so I would say must be a good player. We have woodburn to come back too, we do need a striker though!! This weekends result will show us how close or far off we actually are I would say.........

Whats annoying is the way the club and manager always talk a load of old when it comes to transfers we have all these targets nearly done at right back! nothing..... And the whole grigg thing!!!

We have no permanent signings other than thorne this window which is a bit worrying especially as we have profited millions on player sales not only under eales but now tiger and had decent cup runs for the past few years too extra income!

nelson,dunkley, roofe, o dowda, lundstrum, baptiste, rothwell, fosu, whyte, Johnson 2plus2 adds upto 3 in this case we need to re invest in a proven goalscorer if he costs us a million so be it

Last edited:
“One more thing, I'm as gutted as anyone to see these players leave. But some on here are acting like it's the end of the world. Do you think Henry, Brannagan, Thorne, Woodburn, Kelly, Gorrin, Browne are going to wake up tomorrow and forget how to play football? KR has assembled the best squad we've had this century and hopefully with an addition (or 2!) ourselves on deadline day we can still make this a season to remember. COYY”

And let’s not forget that Sykes is showing some good form as well now.

Back
Top Bottom