General Jan transfer window

We signed Gavin Whyte as a relative unknown I’ll take unearthing another gem then an wow signing any day.
Exactly. We now have a good solid squad with decent league experience in the key areas. A couple of ‘wildcards’ might be just what we need to add that extra bit of magic.

At the end of the day the main point is that KR has said about bringing in 4 to 5 quality players, as will possibly Sunderland and others with financial clout. We are not in the same financial league as them, but with Cadden going, possibly Brannigan/Baptiste being sold and players going out on loan, we need these kind of additions to keep the momentum going to cover such losses.

With no-one dominating the league and every team beatable, never in 10 years or so have we been in such a good position to gain promotion, the clearly stated aim of the board. They therefore need to back KR to allow him to get these deals over the line.

I think you'll be surprised as to our financial clout compared to the likes of Sunderland. Remember it was only a few weeks ago that SD took out a £10m loan just to keep the club ticking over and is now actively looking to sell up. I really can't see them doing significant business this January.

Compare that to our situation. Colombus Crew said they wanted £1m for Chris Cadden and Tiger asked KR what he thought. The decision not to go ahead was Robinson's, which suggests that money (and decent money at that) is available. So, it's looking like we will lose Cadden but have s decent replacement already here in Sam Long, and have targeted some high quality additions.

It's highly unlikely that we will lose Brannagan or Baptiste and virtually impossible that both will go. But if it were to happen we need to have faith with the recruitment team. 2 years ago in January they brought in Dickie and Brannagan. The following summer, Gavin Whyte. Last January, Sykes. And in the summer, Moore, Fosu, Gorrin plus the loans of Woodburn, Cadden and Taylor. All of whom have made a massive impact at Oxford.

There maybe players going out on loan, but these are likely to be Jack Stevens, Jamie Hanson, Nico Jones etc. Fringe players who are likely to grow from playing week in, week out.

So, as with every transfer window before, save your worrying until the end of January and see where we are then. You might just be surprised!!

Its a bit like Xmas, the excitement , some disappointment but nevertheless , rarely boring.....bring it on..

Omar Bogle striker from Cardiff doing the rounds again on social media. We were linked with him in the summer.

Bogle always seems to get linked. Pass for me.

I don't know enough about him to comment, but I do think we could see a striker through the door aswell as a pacy winger. We have no cover if one of Mackie or Taylor get injured. Clearly robbo doesn't see Agyie as a replacement for them.

Bogle is OOC in six months so could well be allowed to go now on a permanent, rather than yet another loan. He’s 27, 28 when next season kicks off, so he needs to get a club sorted and really kick on as this is now his prime. The next two seasons are his absolute peak in terms of age. If we really were to be looking at him, that would suggest Agyei could be put out to L2 for a run of games and Bogle would join Taylor and Mackie in leading the line for the run in. Which would be a sign that we are definitely going for it imo.

All speculation, obviously, but if we are genuinely interested it could well show that it’s been noticed that this could be the big chance. An extra little increase on what is already here and it’s on.

Got a feeling that KR has had a word with Liverpool about Rhian Brewster. Young striker who is available for a loan. Championship clubs are also interested but KR has good links with Liverpool. Won the golden boot when England U17's won the world cup.

Got a feeling that KR has had a word with Liverpool about Rhian Brewster. Young striker who is available for a loan. Championship clubs are also interested but KR has good links with Liverpool. Won the golden boot when England U17's won the world cup.
Joining Swansea on loan.

Bogle is OOC in six months so could well be allowed to go now on a permanent, rather than yet another loan. He’s 27, 28 when next season kicks off, so he needs to get a club sorted and really kick on as this is now his prime. The next two seasons are his absolute peak in terms of age. If we really were to be looking at him, that would suggest Agyei could be put out to L2 for a run of games and Bogle would join Taylor and Mackie in leading the line for the run in. Which would be a sign that we are definitely going for it imo.

All speculation, obviously, but if we are genuinely interested it could well show that it’s been noticed that this could be the big chance. An extra little increase on what is already here and it’s on.

Bogle's last prolific season was in 2016-17, and that was in League Two. 4 in 12 last season at Portsmouth is decent, but I'd hope he wouldn't be on big money in that regard.

He won't go any lower than the Championship (reports suggesting Swansea are interested) and possibly could end up in the Premier Lg as Aston VIlla are reportedly interested in a loan.

Bogle's last prolific season was in 2016-17, and that was in League Two. 4 in 12 last season at Portsmouth is decent, but I'd hope he wouldn't be on big money in that regard.
Indeed. Since his L2 days with Grimsby he has scored 13 goals in over 70 games and has been at five different clubs in the last two years. Given that and his likely wages, I think we can do better (or at least spend that money more wisely).

Indeed. Since his L2 days with Grimsby he has scored 13 goals in over 70 games and has been at five different clubs in the last two years. Given that and his likely wages, I think we can do better (or at least spend that money more wisely).

That's not a great conversion rate, unless he is a presence like Mackie then we can do better.

Recent matches clearly show that our midfield is key to promotion. Brannagan in particular. If he goes, then we really need Baptiste. If both go, then I really believe we are in trouble. I can't believe that would be allowed to happen, it would really affect morale at the club. We also need to worry about up front - none of the strikers are scoring at the moment, Fosu in particular is a concern. That's why recent wins have been less than comfortable despite outstanding possession.

Back
Top Bottom