General Jan transfer window

I've been very sympathetic towards Hall as I know how close he came to losing it all and how hard he worked to get back playing, but his showing against MK was absolutely appalling. Did nothing but constantly foul their players as he was more arsed about some of their fans booing him than he was trying to contribute to our play, and if finishing top six is a genuine aim, maybe it's best if he is upgraded and he goes and plays football somewhere else. We looked after him and he's been eased back in while being kept around so we could keep an eye on him ourselves, but maybe we've done our bit now. I think he will certainly be one that we try to loan out, and I still think Sykes might go the same way.

I think loaning Agyei out would be a huge mistake. If Taylor were to get injured for even 4/5 games let alone more, we would need Mackie to play every minute of every game, and at his age I think it would be an enormous ask. We cannot go from three strikers on the books to two, one of whom is possibly retiring in six months, if we're serious about going for it. To run so low in such a vital area of the pitch would be insanity. We've seen what it looks like when all we have is Mackie bashing about game in, game out with no support of alternative. His enthusiasm is great and he can do a job sparingly, absolutely, but leaving him as the sole option if one player tweaks a muscle... that could be suicide.

I've been very sympathetic towards Hall as I know how close he came to losing it all and how hard he worked to get back playing, but his showing against MK was absolutely appalling. Did nothing but constantly foul their players as he was more arsed about some of their fans booing him than he was trying to contribute to our play, and if finishing top six is a genuine aim, maybe it's best if he is upgraded and he goes and plays football somewhere else. We looked after him and he's been eased back in while being kept around so we could keep an eye on him ourselves, but maybe we've done our bit now. I think he will certainly be one that we try to loan out, and I still think Sykes might go the same way.

I think loaning Agyei out would be a huge mistake. If Taylor were to get injured for even 4/5 games let alone more, we would need Mackie to play every minute of every game, and at his age I think it would be an enormous ask. We cannot go from three strikers on the books to two, one of whom is possibly retiring in six months, if we're serious about going for it. To run so low in such a vital area of the pitch would be insanity. We've seen what it looks like when all we have is Mackie bashing about game in, game out with no support of alternative. His enthusiasm is great and he can do a job sparingly, absolutely, but leaving him as the sole option if one player tweaks a muscle... that could be suicide.
Makes perfect sense. I happen to think that Agyei has potential. He has shown, albeit sporadically, that he can do the job. His goal at Southend was very well taken and, when he came on against MK he livened up the play.
Likewise, I have sympathy for Rob Hall but, this is not a game for sympathy. Not sure how a loan would work for him as I thought he was on a game by game deal?

Makes perfect sense. I happen to think that Agyei has potential. He has shown, albeit sporadically, that he can do the job. His goal at Southend was very well taken and, when he came on against MK he livened up the play.
Likewise, I have sympathy for Rob Hall but, this is not a game for sympathy. Not sure how a loan would work for him as I thought he was on a game by game deal?
Hall is on a one year deal but he gets paid more when he's in the squad than when he isn't to cover ourselves in case he broke / breaks down. So this season he's been getting paid normally / his full wage as he's been fit and available for every match. I'd imagine the loaning club would pay x % of his salary which would fluctuate in tandem with his terms. ie if he's fit they pay x of it all and if he got injured they'd pay x of what we're then paying him. Would be most logical.

I too think Agyei will come good and just needs a bit more sharpness and some confidence, but that aside he's a body who can fill a striker role, and unless another one arrives I'd be terrified to see numbers cut there. That's how you derail a season - most sides pushing for promotion tend to overstock on strikers at the back end of the season as they know that without goals you can't win games.

Hall is on a one year deal but he gets paid more when he's in the squad than when he isn't to cover ourselves in case he broke / breaks down. So this season he's been getting paid normally / his full wage as he's been fit and available for every match. I'd imagine the loaning club would pay x % of his salary which would fluctuate in tandem with his terms. ie if he's fit they pay x of it all and if he got injured they'd pay x of what we're then paying him. Would be most logical.

I too think Agyei will come good and just needs a bit more sharpness and some confidence, but that aside he's a body who can fill a striker role, and unless another one arrives I'd be terrified to see numbers cut there. That's how you derail a season - most sides pushing for promotion tend to overstock on strikers at the back end of the season as they know that without goals you can't win games.
That clarifies the pay situation, I had a notion it was appearance based but not what the details included. Thanks.

love Hall and was a gamble worth taking but unfortunately we need the best players available if we want to push on. still think he’s worth having on the bench as an option later on but if it’s at the expense of someone fitter and better (sorry Robbie) then maybe a loan is the best thing for us and him.
as KR said he needs to be ruthless with decisions

love Hall and was a gamble worth taking but unfortunately we need the best players available if we want to push on. still think he’s worth having on the bench as an option later on but if it’s at the expense of someone fitter and better (sorry Robbie) then maybe a loan is the best thing for us and him.
as KR said he needs to be ruthless with decisions

If he’s being ruthless then Hall goes. If he kept Hall then his ruthless claim is very very hollow. Ruthless in a football sense means maybe getting rid of players who are basically doing ok but playing a bit within themselves. Hall, of late, is not even near the ok level.

Archer needs to work on his kicking. Can't see Easty losing his place though.
There was also a very dodgy punch by him during the city game (I'm not a expert - but it really seemed like an odd decision to punch) which reminded me of a few of his punching clangers on his YouTube 'blooper' video that someone put up on this forum (it was posted by a disgruntled Millwall fan pinning their failure to get promotion squarely on Archer - bit harsh lol)
But that's the deal with keepers - even the world class ones have a few clangers they would like to forget, all things considered Archer has done ok so far ?

Indeed - 51% No - 49% yes..the no's have it ..the no's have it..unlock!..
but maybe they didn't understand what they were voting for?

It sounds mean but I strongly believe that we'll drop unnecessary points when Hall plays. He's a passenger defensively and if we actually want to stand a chance of promotion we need a fully effective 11 in every game. Sykes' work rate is much higher as is Agyei's (the former being the highest considerably).

It's like having 10 men.

I've always been a big fan of Hall but he's had opportunities now to prove himself following injuries. He is now as fit as he can be but is not a top 6 league one player anymore. He still has flashes of brilliance and has an eye for goal. He looks lazy on the ball now and seems reluctant to take on his man and run at defences which was always his biggest asset. Hally might go on to do it at another club if released from his contract. It doesn't look like he wants it enough at Oxford.

Sykes offers more off the bench, it seems that he and Baptiste save their best performances for top opposition, if they can put shifts in like they've both done against West Ham and Man City, they'd be playing Championship football within a year.

Agyei just needs a run in the team, I think he could play on the right-hand side of the front three.

Agree with most on here.

Can’t see much value in a loan-out for Robbie Hall, unless we realistically see him coming back and competing for a spot again next season.

Best his contract is annulled and he gets two years with a club lower down the pyramid...perhaps a club about to lose their two best players back to their parent clubs in the transfer window...?

(Only joking Robbie, wouldn’t wish THAT fate on anyone...)

We know Cadden is leaving which frees up budget. Hall and Sykes are not performing consistently at the level required for a promotion challenging team. Shame Hanson is injured as pretty sure he would be on his way in January. Excited about the window. The 2nd half of the season push for automatic promotion....!!!!

Genuinely feel torn with Rob Hall’s situation. No getting away from it his performances haven’t been good enough and wondering really how much improvement is likely; hoping there is some but doubting there is enough. It Robbo decides his time is over here I would reluctantly accept that. Sykes in my view has persevered despite the threat of being loaned out to produce a mix of performances, plenty of scope to improve and enough time to do it. Hope we persevere with him.

Sykes is better in a wider position, and has I think shown enough when there to make it worth persevering with him. He hasn't been in the team that much and is only 22. One for the near future (along with Agyei) perhaps, but worth keeping.
Hall is unfortunately a different matter. When he was fit he was a very decent player. And he is showing little signs of that even now - I guess you don't just lose that class. But his improvement is so slow, and in some games he is a passenger. He (perhaps understandably) isn't keen to tackle and has lost most of his pace. Add that to a reluctance to get back and defend (Fosu in contrast even if he isn't having a brilliant game will always help out) and he is nowhere near the first team for me - certainly not a starter, although you could make a case for him coming on as a late sub I suppose. It depends on what the club medics say about his current physical state, the amount we are paying him and an assessment of his likely progress (both physical and mental) whether you'd send him out on loan, keep him (and only play him as a substitute if needs must) or sadly agree to part ways. Robinson is a loyal sort of man by the evidence so far, and has stuck by Hall - that's probably the only reason he is still with us. A real pity.

Back
Top Bottom