General Jan transfer window

Driving home last night KR said on R/Ox that the club should make sure we keep them all.
His powers of persuasion as a manager are going to be tested to the limit!!

If we have to lose one out of Dickie, Brannigan and Baptiste to help ‘balance the books’ I’d reluctantly say Baptiste, not because I don’t rate him, the opposite is true.

To my eyes Baptiste looks to have more Premier League potential than the others, his balance, overall game and technique looks more suited to the Premier League than the Championship, strange though that might sound.

Baptiste could bring the club more in an initial transfer fee, plus greater potential with a further sell on in the future.

The club also has to look at maximising any player asset, particularly if that player has a history of injuries.

It goes without saying that I don’t want any of the three to go, but the reality is that one probably will.

The opportunity to have a crack at promotion to the Championship is a pretty rare event in OUFC history, the board will want to give it a go without increasing the debt too much, it’s a fine balance.

A case could be made for saying to our most sort after players, ‘ stay with us until the end of the season, if we miss out on promotion then we promise not to stand in your way’

Last edited:
Moore has played in big matches, vs West Ham etc and looks very comfortable. My concern is a Moore/Mousinho partnership if Dickie leaves.

I think we probably need to be prepared for dickie to leave in January

Don't think I'd be concerned with a Moore/Mousinho partnership - that would still be a good pairing for League One.

Obviously I'd rather Dickie stayed, because he's become the best Centre Back we've had since Matt Elliott (maybe.....I was an Andy Crosby fan as well, and he was a great defender, but a little less cultured than Dickie).

But if we do get an offer that's too good to turn down (and for me, that would be upwards of 2 million), then the key once again will be who we can recruit as a replacement. Because unless KR has a lot of faith in Nico, we can't play half a season with just two senior central defenders.

Don't think I'd be concerned with a Moore/Mousinho partnership - that would still be a good pairing for League One.

Obviously I'd rather Dickie stayed, because he's become the best Centre Back we've had since Matt Elliott (maybe.....I was an Andy Crosby fan as well, and he was a great defender, but a little less cultured than Dickie).

But if we do get an offer that's too good to turn down (and for me, that would be upwards of 2 million), then the key once again will be who we can recruit as a replacement. Because unless KR has a lot of faith in Nico, we can't play half a season with just two senior central defenders.

I'd suggest the club already have plans in place should this happen. Although it really would give Nico a chance to press a claim, certainly in the short term. I'd hope we got well over £2m (including add-ons) and a good sell on clause.

I'd suggest the club already have plans in place should this happen. Although it really would give Nico a chance to press a claim, certainly in the short term. I'd hope we got well over £2m (including add-ons) and a good sell on clause.
I love what youre saying and there’s no bigger supporter of bringing through the younger players than me, but, if we’re seriously going for promotion this season then relying on a 17 y.o and also a 34y.o. to partner Moore, who‘s also relatively inexperienced in league football, is not the answer In my humble opinion. I‘d hope that IF Dickie goes for big money then a seriously decent CB is brought in with Jones and Mousinho supporting when necessary. Jones’ time will come but its not quite yet.

I wouldnt be too annoyed if Fosu left but it meant Brannagan and Baptiste were pretty much confirmed to stay put. Dont get me wrong Fosu is a class player but blows hot and cold far too often and a lot easier to replace.

Re convincing players to stay on and win promotion with us, I would imagine CB is the key piece of that jigsaw. KR will be able to make a much more compelling case to those getting itchy feet that promotion is a reasonable target with him still in the team than if he is not. Lose him and others more likely to follow imo.

I love what youre saying and there’s no bigger supporter of bringing through the younger players than me, but, if we’re seriously going for promotion this season then relying on a 17 y.o and also a 34y.o. to partner Moore, who‘s also relatively inexperienced in league football, is not the answer In my humble opinion. I‘d hope that IF Dickie goes for big money then a seriously decent CB is brought in with Jones and Mousinho supporting when necessary. Jones’ time will come but its not quite yet.

I'm not suggesting that be case and I doubt it would be. But in the short term it would likely give Nico Jones a chance to press a claim as I doubt we'd sign somebody wihin a day or 2 of Dickie going should it happen. If Dickie does go then I fully expect us to sign somebody as I obviously didn't make clear with my initial sentence.

Mousinho is starting CB in the league at the moment not supporting when necessary!

Mousinho is starting CB in the league at the moment not supporting when necessary!
Yep Mousinho has been great but Ill reiterate what I said before. Hes 34 years old and already the signs are that his attention is turning more and more towards coaching. He cant go on forever, if Dickie goes and we want promotion, I reckon we‘ll need to get even better.

Yep Mousinho has been great but Ill reiterate what I said before. Hes 34 years old and already the signs are that his attention is turning more and more towards coaching. He cant go on forever, if Dickie goes and we want promotion, I reckon we‘ll need to get even better.

I agree he can’t go on forever but until the end of the season shouldn’t be too big an ask...

Personally would not mind if Baptiste left for the right fee what we need to remember yes he is young but at this moment of time has never been able to complete a first team full season without picking up a significant injury what teams will look at so if we get a big bid for him let him go and make sure it has a sell on clause also

Woodburn, new injury,now out to Feb/March.
Liverpool have agreed to pay his wages, leaving OUFC with more “spend” in Jan window.

With the Woodburn injury and Thorne going back to derby, I wouldn’t be against using their wage money to throw new deals at Fosu & Brannagan!

With the Woodburn injury and Thorne going back to derby, I wouldn’t be against using their wage money to throw new deals at Fosu & Brannagan!
Whilst not disagreeing with your point, we clearly need to replace both, to bolster our promotion ambitions this season.

Back
Top Bottom